Bullitt East vs. Campbell County - State Semi-Final Predictions

theguru

Bullitt East's McKinley doesn't throw hard but hard to beat

According to Bullitt East High School baseball coach Jeff Bowles, the scouting report on state semifinal opponent Campbell County is “they hit the 85 mph fastball real well.”

For Bullitt East starting pitcher Kyle McKinley, whose fastball averages about 80 mph, that might end up being a good thing.

“I said, ‘Well, they’re not going to see an 85 mph fastball,’” Bowles said. “We don’t have a radar gun, and I always tell them I don’t care how hard you throw as long as you get people out.”

McKinley has been getting opposing hitters out all season and will get another chance at 8:30 p.m. Friday when the Chargers (28-10) face Campbell County (28-10) in the semifinals of the Rawlings/KHSAA State Tournament at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Ky.

St. Xavier (27-12) will meet McCracken County (37-5) in Friday’s first semifinal at 6 p.m. The championship game is set for 7 p.m. Saturday.

McKinley is a big reason the Chargers have reached the state semifinals for the first time since 2009. The 6-foot, 170-pound right-hander is 10-2 with a 1.78 ERA and has 53 strikeouts in 66 2/3 innings. He got the victory last Friday when Bullitt East beat Oldham County 6-3 in the first round of the state tournament, allowing nine hits and three runs in 6 1/3 innings.