May 12, 201610 yr I notices this in my weee years as a college student. I had maybe 1 professor who would identify as right leaning and he was actually a philosophy professor.
May 12, 201610 yr I notices this in my weee years as a college student. I had maybe 1 professor who would identify as right leaning and he was actually a philosophy professor. The only proffesors I had that leaned right were business proffesionals who weren't full time proffesors.
May 12, 201610 yr A Confession of Liberal Intolerance - NYTimes.com Some of the feedback he has received from other liberals is crazy.
May 13, 201610 yr It's peer censorship at it's highest level. I've heard college students on Hannity say that they failed classes from liberal teachers for entering discussions and providing their conservative views. And no they weren't failing before revealing their views. It's egregious to make the kids fall in line or have to hide what they believe. So much for fostering free thought.
May 13, 201610 yr In my past life working at an academic institution I very clearly remember a student set to graduate with a 4.0 GPA who had to take a SILLY course called Senior Seminar in their final semester. It was basically a "discussion" course to encourage "critical thinking". This person was conservative and expressed their conservative POV in the "discussions". End of semester they got a B because as the uber-liberal professor told them, if you really hold those beliefs you can't think critically so you don't deserve an A. That may well have been the start of my shift left.
May 13, 201610 yr In my past life working at an academic institution I very clearly remember a student set to graduate with a 4.0 GPA who had to take a SILLY course called Senior Seminar in their final semester. It was basically a "discussion" course to encourage "critical thinking". This person was conservative and expressed their conservative POV in the "discussions". End of semester they got a B because as the uber-liberal professor told them, if you really hold those beliefs you can't think critically so you don't deserve an A. That may well have been the start of my shift left. It's really easy for a professor so inclined to take "critical thinking" and turn it into "critical theory". There was a time in my life I was a big fan of critical theory (I was a bit of a devotee of Duncan Kennedy while early in law school). Who doesn't like taking it to traditional institutions and telling your professors that all their teachings are contradictory and prop up an outdated mode of legal practice? It was fun. Eventually the better angels of my more traditionalist nature shouted down those particular demons. While I have no patience with those that make the claim that teaching at a university is somehow not a real job, I will say that such an insular environment makes for an easy place to disappear up one's own backside.
May 13, 201610 yr In my past life working at an academic institution I very clearly remember a student set to graduate with a 4.0 GPA who had to take a SILLY course called Senior Seminar in their final semester. It was basically a "discussion" course to encourage "critical thinking". This person was conservative and expressed their conservative POV in the "discussions". End of semester they got a B because as the uber-liberal professor told them, if you really hold those beliefs you can't think critically so you don't deserve an A. That may well have been the start of my shift left. I just realized what I typed. I meant my shift right. That "professor" ruined a perfect academic record because he didn't agree with the student. The institution stood behind the professor because of "academic freedom in the classroom".
May 15, 201610 yr I just realized what I typed. I meant my shift right. That "professor" ruined a perfect academic record because he didn't agree with the student. The institution stood behind the professor because of "academic freedom in the classroom". Just like Obama's latest attempt to bully the schools about bathrooms, using the IRS as a tool against another party, this is yet another example of a liberal using his position to bully someone with a difference of opinion. Where is the tolerance of this so tolerant party? While conservatives believe in each man living free withought oppression as long as your actions don't hinder or harm another. Progressives want to force you to assimilate to their proccess and stiffle any thoughts or action they don't particularly agree with. Does this remind you of isis and sharia law? Chew on that.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.