2016 Ninth Region

It's early, but I saw the thread on the Tenth Region, and thought I would start one for the Ninth Region outlook for 2017.

- Is NDA still the team to beat? Are they going to reload and not miss a beat?

- Will Cooper and their Seniors be a serious contender for the Region?

- How will Ryle, Conner, and Boone County look?

- What’s the outlook for St. Henry?

- How does New Cath stack-up? Will Rachel McDonald take 90% of the swings for New Cath?

- How does Beechwood stack-up against the rest of the field now that their Sophomores are turning into upper classmen?

I’ve got to think NDA is still on top, but I’m wondering how they will look defensively without Morgan Hentz and some of their other DS’s? I also have to think Cooper will be strong this year.

What does everyone else think?

While NDA only returns three true starters from last year, Sarah Draud (OH), Natalie Hardig (MB), and Jackie Noll (L/DS), there are many good replacements. Obviously none at the caliber of Hentz, but still many good options. Lainey Stephenson and Belle Morgan are possibly replacements in the setting position. Shannon Gormally or Ashley Rees would fill the middle. Caroline Hardig and Delaney Kuhlman as DSs. Julia Sears will get her starting role as OH or Lainey Stephenson could fill that position as well. I see a less experienced lineup, but a very capable lineup. Still the team to beat in NKY.

As far as the other schools go, Cooper is probably the next best team in the region with a senior-heavy team. Kaity Smith, Rebecca Ruppel, and Hailey Gillispie are all high-impact players for Cooper. Along with the height of Morgan Kelly, they should be a tough team to beat. That being said, they will still suffer from the same setting issues that plagued them last year.

Ryle and St. Henry are toss-ups. Ryle returns most of their starting lineup from last year. Hayley Bush, Nicole Legg and Allie Stinson all return, but defense could be lacking.

St. Henry loses most of their starting lineup besides Maria Tobertge and Madison Read. I'm interested to see how they will reload.

NCC returns Rachel McDonald and Mikah Freppon. Boone County loses Ali Borders, a huge asset for them. Conner loses most of their lineup besides Atwood and Helinski. Beechwood should be an interesting team to play. Not a tall team, but very balanced. They lose Liz Pawsat but return everyone else.

Overall, the ninth seems to be just as strong as last year. While NDA may not be at the level of Assumption and Sacred Heart, they will still be the top team in the ninth.

What's your track record? Picking against NDA in volleyball is not a good plan.

Well my track record with them isn't as good because I chose them to win state last year. I never bet against NDA when Morgan was there.

Well my track record with them isn't as good because I chose them to win state last year. I never bet against NDA when Morgan was there.

I think NDA is a great program, but Assumption is just always a step ahead. With KIVA and the development of their players, which usually go on to play at Assumption, I would have to say I don't see NDA winning state anytime soon.

Every girl that plays volleyball in Louisville at the elite level will go to private school. In NKY, that just isn't always the case. If you took all the best players from NKY and put them on one team vs. assumption or sacred heart, maybe they would win. Maybe.

Thanks Moderator for fixing the title. It's definitely about next year (2016). My bad on that. The 10th Region thread probably needs to be fixed, too. I must have been looking at that before starting this one up.

In my opinion, NDA is still #1 in NKY and in the 9th Region. They will be taller in the front row than they have been in awhile. I don't buy any lack of experience arguments because these girls have played since they were in Third Grade. They have plenty of experience and in high pressure club volleyball situations. I think where NDA will lack is defense. I just don't see how they can be as good in the backrow without Morgan Hentz and some of the seniors that are graduating in May / June 2016. To be honest, Morgan Hentz seemed to be everywhere on defense. They missed her when she was out of the game. If folks didn't see that, I'm not sure what they were looking at.

With that said, I think other teams in the 9th Region will challenge NDA in ways they haven't been challenged in awhile. It doesn't mean NDA will get beat, it just means that they will be challenged more this upcoming year than in the past.

I think the rest of the teams like Cooper, Ryle, St. Henry, Beechwood, and New Cath will be in the rung down. They all have weaknesses. That makes it hard to be consistent game in and game out.

On the positive side:

Cooper will have a very strong senior class.

Ryle is a big school and almost can't help but put out a strong team each year because of their sheer numbers.

St. Henry has solid coaching and a very good player in Maria Tobergte.

Beechwood's has strong junior class that tends to play consistent, solid volleyball and they rarely beat themselves.

New Cath has two very versatile, talented players that they play through.

It should be lots of fun this year.

OK barring any incoming freshman that play like Morgan Hentz did, here's what I found on kids attending NDA and there club teams: Who are the players that will start and keep NDA on top in the 9th Region in your opinion.

Tri-State Elite:

15-1 Pos Ht AJ Class

Belle Morgan S/OH 6'1 9'7 2019

Abby Noll OH 5'9 9'5 2019

15-2

Hannah Baute MB/OH 5'9 2019

Katherine Tabeling OH 5'9 2019

16-1

Natalie Hardig MB 6'1 9'9 2018

Delaney Kuhlman DS 5'5 9'1 2018

Julia Sears OH 6'0 9'3 2018

16-2

Katie Draud OH/DS 5'9 8'11 2019

Olivia Montelisciani DS 5'8 9'2 2018

17-1

Sarah Draud OH 5'10 9'5 2017

Jackie Noll DS 5'8 9'2 2017

17-2

Caroline Hardig OH/DS 5'9 9'2 2017

Ashley Rees MB 5'11 9'3 2017

NKYVC

16-1

Lainey Stephenson S 5' 11 9'7.5 2018

16-3

Olivia Bosch L|DS 5' 6" 8'7 2018

Molly Reese MB|RS 5' 9" 9'1" 2018

He also forgot setter Nina Pauly and OH Jenna Schmahl both on NKYVC 15-1.

Morgan Hentz is irreplaceable, everyone knows that. However, NDA has been beating up on NKY for years before Morgan even knew what volleyball was. I don't see that changing. 6/2 with Stephenson (recent D1 commit to Wright State-seen on Twitter) and either Morgan or Pauly setting. Draud and Stephenson hit outside. Morgan and Sears hit opposite. Gormally and N. Hardig in the middle. J. Noll is libero and C Hardig plays back row for Sears. Pauly for Morgan back row if Pauly gets to set. According to their website, NDA JV lost only to Mercy, Assumption and Ursaline in 2015. They beat every team in NKY. NDA graduated a storied class led by Hentz, but these other girls have been waiting their turn. I think they make the most of it.

I think St. Henry will be good. Paige Noble suffered an ACL tear during basketball. Hopefully, she is recovered and 100%. Of course, Tobertge is the real deal. Madison Read is a decent setter. Who passes?

Cooper will also be good. Rueppel, K. Smith, Beasley and Kazor can all play. Setting? Of course, they have "coaching issues" which we read about a lot on here. And they fired a strong, up and coming coach, Jenna Schreiver.

If I had to guess based on my knowledge.

Noll at Lib, Draud at one of the OH spots, MBs are Hardig and Gormally. S/RS are Stephenson and Morgan with Stephenson getting many swings on the LS also. The other OH/OPP position will probably be between Sears/Rees/Abby Noll and Schmal. DS role(s) will probably be between Sears/Montelisciani/Hardig/Kuhlman.

I base most of this off of where the athletes were slotted last high school season and roles on varsity and JV. Obviously, current development could change roles.