Cleveland Browns Lose 4 Free Agents

You're asking because he will turn 35 this year and has played for 14 years in the NFL. He claims he takes care of his body and he is quite athletic. Counter-intuitively, he did well in pass coverage last season. This is why he was brought to Cleveland in FA a couple of seasons ago. He replaced D'Qwell Jackson who wasn't as good in pass coverage, something Pettine's defense requires. However, Cleveland was horrible against the run last year and one would think that an inside LB would have major responsibilities there.

My opinion is that Cleveland got rid of him primarily because of his age, not his play. They are rebuilding and that means going younger. I think he has one maybe two seasons left. He may be able to help add depth to a good defense. I can't see going after him in FA for any reason beyond adding depth for the short-term.

He led the team with 108 tackles last year.

You're asking because he will turn 35 this year and has played for 14 years in the NFL. He claims he takes care of his body and he is quite athletic. Counter-intuitively, he did well in pass coverage last season. This is why he was brought to Cleveland in FA a couple of seasons ago. He replaced D'Qwell Jackson who wasn't as good in pass coverage, something Pettine's defense requires. However, Cleveland was horrible against the run last year and one would think that an inside LB would have major responsibilities there.

My opinion is that Cleveland got rid of him primarily because of his age, not his play. They are rebuilding and that means going younger. I think he has one maybe two seasons left. He may be able to help add depth to a good defense. I can't see going after him in FA for any reason beyond adding depth for the short-term.

He led the team with 108 tackles last year.

I was asking because I think the Bengals need more depth at LB in addition to DT and we all know WR.

Thanks og.

I'm very interested in what they do with the number 2 pick in the draft this year. One on hand, they HAVE to have a QB for the franchise to have any shot in the future, and this year they can pretty much let Hue pick his guy. On the other hand this team needs every position and a QB alone wont help much this year. I personally think they should go QB, let McCown take the beatings this year and start who ever they select the following year. They'll be drafting top 10 for at least the next 2 years so they will get value in those picks.

Thanks GA, from that link.

Dansby, who thinks the Bengals and other teams might be interested him, told cleveland.com that the Browns are in rebuild mode and will likely release other veterans:

• "I'm sure the Bengals are licking their chops,'' he said.

• He said the Browns called him this morning to tell he was being released.

• "I appreciated it because it gives me a chance to win. There a lot of teams that are close and I can help them.''

• "The Browns are in a rebuild,'' he said. "This gets me closer to my destiny.''

• He said he has four or five years left "because I take care of my body."

• He said his only regret is that they didn't do it two months ago so he could catch on with someone right away. "But there still a lot of teams that need my services.''

• He said he believes other 30-year-old or older Browns will be released. "I told Donte Whitner 'you have to be ready for anything.' ''

• He said he believes receiver Dwayne Bowe, 31, will be released soon.

• He said he believes "the future is bright'' for third-year cornerback Justin Gilbert and that he felt he started to turn the corner last year.

• He said Johnny Manziel remains a friend and he still believes Manziel can be successful in the NFL.

• "This is an opportunity to go play for a Super Bowl contender,'' said Dansby. "I'm excited. I'm getting goosebumps.''

• He said he never viewed Cleveland as place to go and get out as fast as possible: "I wanted to try to do something there that no one had done.''

I think Joe Thomas is up for trade. There was talk during the season that he would be traded to Denver but they didn't offer enough by way of draft picks so it didn't happen.

Yes, that was with the previous regime but I think the new regime is hungry for draft picks. If a team wants a great LT and is willing to give up an early draft pick(s), I believe the Browns are all ears. They are committed to rebuilding and all veterans are up for trade.

I think Joe Thomas is up for trade. There was talk during the season that he would be traded to Denver but they didn't offer enough by way of draft picks so it didn't happen.

Yes, that was with the previous regime but I think the new regime is hungry for draft picks. If a team wants a great LT and is willing to give up an early draft pick(s), I believe the Browns are all ears. They are committed to rebuilding and all veterans are up for trade.

I doubt the Browns would take this but I would offer Fischer and a 3rd or 4th round pick for him. This gives then a young talented tackle for cheap to replace him and also get another extra pick.

While the Bengals could put Thomas at tackle, Whit at guard, Boling at center and have Zeitler and Ced at the other side.