Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Officials discredit their own trainer and disqualify #1 kid in the state in Wrestling

Featured Replies

  • Author

I appreciate your kind words and have already talked multiple times with Coach B and he is 100% behind my son and doesn't like the smell of it either. It boils down to common sense. If you override a Medical Document and/or an On-Site Medical Professional, you are in the wrong. It even goes to the extreme of Child Endangerment when the Official would go to that length. I don't care if he wasn't the #1 kid, this was very wrong and should NEVER happen!

I doubt that I am going to say anything that is going to ease this pain, anger, frustration....however....

 

As it relates to malpractice, no, I do not believe it is, but as a parent I certainly respect that fact that you are willing to go to the mat (pun intended) for your kid when you believe they have been wronged by an institution or person. I don't see a case here though....

 

As it relates to your son, I hear lots of great things you are saying about his resolve, and that is, in and of itself, wrestling....if he had blown out a knee, it's an easier conversation, but still disappointing.

 

He is in the cradle of wrestling and has opportunities to be coached and trained by one of the all-time greats in the State of Kentucky if not the US....I would encourage you to have this conversation with Coach B and let him talk to your son. 30+ years he had similar conversations with me, so I'm pretty sure about what you will get for your effort.

 

Continue to encourage, give him some time, and above all, try very, very hard to not let your distaste for the organizational issues spill over to your son...that's the greatest danger here. Kids are resiliant, the fact he knows his team needs him is all I would need to hear. I'm willing to bet he will be fine.

 

For you as a parent: chin up. You are more resiliant than this as well. You have the support of people who understand kids sports.

  • Replies 35
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the deemed medical professional, who should be a MD, was not appointed by the officials prior to the start of weigh-ins, the last call should be in the hands of the officials, who are trained to do skin assessments. A sports trainer is typically not a physician. RNs and/or NPs sought out for opinion under such circumstances should not be credible decision makers in a situation of this nature either, for they are not members of the officiating staff.

 

As noted, the skin form is merely a physician note stating a skin assessment has been observed on said participant. However, officials have the right per the rule book to overrule a skin form upon a physical assessment of skin during the weigh-ins, without appeal when determining the eligibility of a wrestler. The main idea you are missing is that this is a contagious skin disease. The role of the official is to complete a thorough skin assessment as their goal is the promotion of health and safety of all wrestlers, not just your wrestler.

 

Unfortunately, I completely disagree regarding "child endangerment." It sounds like it was more of a "child endangerment risk" to those who could have come in contact with the skin issue. And medical malpractice... I disagree there too. The officials have the right to deny a skin form upon a physical skin assessment. The bottom line is they are the last line of defense to again, promote health and safety of all wrestlers.

  • Author

It doesn't matter how you word it, A medical release cannot be overruled by an Official. On the KHSAA form, it states that ONLY an On-Site Physician or an On-Site Medical Professional(Trainer) can supersede the document. NOT AN OFFICIAL WHICH DOESN'T HAVE A MEDICAL LICENSE! I don't care how many on-line classes of skin diseases they have taken. Just because they stayed in a Holiday Inn the night before, doesn't make them Dr's :lol: If a official chooses to say Johnny is good and Joe isn't, he is practicing Medicine, and I think if you do that without a license it is illegal, even in Kentucky :laugh: Let's look at the Youth State Tournament........ No Skin Checks???????????????? I guess those worried little Officials don't care about the younger kids??????????????? Then they kicked another CC kid out at Middle School State and then let him wrestle the next day at Youth??????????????? I think there is a lot of confusion with the rules and regulations of wrestling. So, ontherun let's hear your logical explanation about that one :isurrender:

It doesn't matter how you word it, A medical release cannot be overruled by an Official. On the KHSAA form, it states that ONLY an On-Site Physician or an On-Site Medical Professional(Trainer) can supersede the document. NOT AN OFFICIAL WHICH DOESN'T HAVE A MEDICAL LICENSE! I don't care how many on-line classes of skin diseases they have taken. Just because they stayed in a Holiday Inn the night before, doesn't make them Dr's :lol: If a official chooses to say Johnny is good and Joe isn't, he is practicing Medicine, and I think if you do that without a license it is illegal, even in Kentucky :laugh: Let's look at the Youth State Tournament........ No Skin Checks???????????????? I guess those worried little Officials don't care about the younger kids??????????????? Then they kicked another CC kid out at Middle School State and then let him wrestle the next day at Youth??????????????? I think there is a lot of confusion with the rules and regulations of wrestling. So, ontherun let's hear your logical explanation about that one :isurrender:

 

I have no idea what happened here, be it an official with legit concerns for other wrestlers, or some sort of "politics" being played to keep your son from wrestling. Obviously it seems you feel it was possibly the former. But, let me ask you a question.

 

Lets say a basketball player hurts his knee pretty badly in an early season game. He goes to the doctor, takes about 3 weeks off and after the time off comes back to practice with a doctors release saying he is ok to resume playing. However, during practice the coach notices the player is favoring the knee and not cutting hard off of it. Coach tells him to go to the sidelines and do some time on the stationary bike, doesn't let him practice further. Next night game time, kid dresses but coach doesn't put him in. Kid and parent ask after the game why Johnny didn't play, coach says he doesn't feel he is ready and wants him to take some more time off. Would you say the coach in this case is practicing medicine? I mean he's over ruling a doctors opinion/release, correct? Seems very analogous to your scenario I think.

 

Point being, it really sucks that your son didn't get to wrestle, and I truly hope the decision was made in the best interest of the other wrestlers and not because of some personal conflict or back room politics. But, I think you are barking up the wrong tree trying to claim "malpractice" because in your eyes the official was illegally practicing medicine, and I think you will be throwing you hard earned money away paying a lawyer trying to pursue this is that's what you choose to do.

Let's keep in mind here that this was a ringworm...which is about as minimal as medical problems get. I don't know if politics played a part or if it was just someone overstepping his/her bounds, but this kid shouldn't have been held out for a ringworm (that had already been treated).

  • Author

I can kill this snake preety quick..... If a player is favoring his knee, arm, leg, whatever, it is common sense to rest that athlete. Not even a comparison to what went on with the TREATED Ringworm. My son had a medical release and A On-Site Medical Trainer clear him to wrestle. There was no reason for officials to go to the length they did to disqualify my son to wrestle. Heck, the guy that was doing Brackets for the tournament seemed like he should get involved with it too and stuck his 2 cents in???? Too many people in wrestling overstepping their boundaries. I'm sure my money won't be wasted, but thanks for your concern :thumb:

I have no idea what happened here, be it an official with legit concerns for other wrestlers, or some sort of "politics" being played to keep your son from wrestling. Obviously it seems you feel it was possibly the former. But, let me ask you a question.

 

Lets say a basketball player hurts his knee pretty badly in an early season game. He goes to the doctor, takes about 3 weeks off and after the time off comes back to practice with a doctors release saying he is ok to resume playing. However, during practice the coach notices the player is favoring the knee and not cutting hard off of it. Coach tells him to go to the sidelines and do some time on the stationary bike, doesn't let him practice further. Next night game time, kid dresses but coach doesn't put him in. Kid and parent ask after the game why Johnny didn't play, coach says he doesn't feel he is ready and wants him to take some more time off. Would you say the coach in this case is practicing medicine? I mean he's over ruling a doctors opinion/release, correct? Seems very analogous to your scenario I think.

 

Point being, it really sucks that your son didn't get to wrestle, and I truly hope the decision was made in the best interest of the other wrestlers and not because of some personal conflict or back room politics. But, I think you are barking up the wrong tree trying to claim "malpractice" because in your eyes the official was illegally practicing medicine, and I think you will be throwing you hard earned money away paying a lawyer trying to pursue this is that's what you choose to do.

I can kill this snake preety quick..... If a player is favoring his knee, arm, leg, whatever, it is common sense to rest that athlete. Not even a comparison to what went on with the TREATED Ringworm. My son had a medical release and A On-Site Medical Trainer clear him to wrestle. There was no reason for officials to go to the length they did to disqualify my son to wrestle. Heck, the guy that was doing Brackets for the tournament seemed like he should get involved with it too and stuck his 2 cents in???? Too many people in wrestling overstepping their boundaries. I'm sure my money won't be wasted, but thanks for your concern :thumb:

 

Actually I think my example if perfectly analogous...but...:idunno: I'm not in the wrestling community, so I don't now how often this sort of thing happens, but I would think it's a concern to everyone if a wrestler has a possibly contagious skin infection.

  • Author

Wrestlers get disqualified from tournaments for Ringworm probably on a weekly basis, WITHOUT A SKIN RELEASE FORM. It is VERY rare, and I'm not sure if it has EVER happened with an Official Overruling a Medical Skin Form and An On-Site Trainer. I haven't heard of it yet, and I'm sure I would have by now. There was a kid, that I won't mention his name but everyone in the wrestling world knows who it is. He wrestled the last year with a Softball size Ringworm on his head and it looked HORRIBLE, but he had a Skin Release Form and the Officials passed him??? Are they actually worried about the kids?? They probably are, but when you go to the lengths of Disqualifying the #1 kid in the State.....Sounds like Dirty Business. Also, why wasn't there skin checks in the Youth State Tournament???? My opinion is, that there was about 1,400 kids and it would have taken WAY too long. Now is it about keeping the kids safe or is about the MONEY????

There was a kid, that I won't mention his name but everyone in the wrestling world knows who it is. He wrestled the last year with a Softball size Ringworm on his head and it looked HORRIBLE

 

Gotta say, if this is true that just sounds absolutely disgusting.:puke: With that said, it also sounds like ringworm is an issue in this sport and quite possibly the tournament official at this particular event may have been more cautious than maybe some others might be about this particular issue. Again I'm not in the sport so I don't know. I have seen though basketball officials make kids leave the floor and change undershirts or have a jersey cleaned because of literally a little drop or smear of blood on a sleeve, etc. that as a coach you think "man what's the big deal with that". Another official might let it go, the other official won't, and technically he would be right.

  • Author

I understand the blood on the jerseys, making them change. I appreciate the officials looking out for the kids, but when you have medical documentation and an On-site Medical Professional, do your job and don't overstep you boundaries into the Medical Field.

  • Author

When someone gets a nose bleed in a wrestling match, the match is stopped until the blood is cleaned up and the bleeder is not bleeding anymore. We are talking about Ringworm that has been treated above and beyond the 48 to 72 hours of treatment. If this was a decision from the Officials to keep the other wrestlers safe, then this is the reason that they do not need to try and diagnose if Ringworm is contagious or not. Pure Ignorance! This is why they do not have any kind of Medical License

How in the world do you as an official discredit your On-Site trainer to disqualify the #1 kid in the state for ringworm when the kid had a KHSAA skin release form signed by a doctor releasing him to wrestle? There was an official that had ties with another team that had a kid that would have seen my son in the finals. Fishy??? Dirty??? The doctor's release form says that ringworm is not contagious after 48 to 72 hours. My son has been on treatment for 5 days. I think when an official or a coach has any power to overrule a Medical Professional that becomes child endangerment. The KHSAA form clearly states that the only person that can overrule the signed medical document is an on-site Medical Professional.

Any Thoughts or comments?

 

Where was the ringworm located at on the body?

Just saw this, this is nuts. Wish you the best of luck fighting city hall. Keep,U.S. Updated. Hope,he continues to,wrestle.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.