Mason County 66 Simon Kenton 64 2OT

Sumo what's your thoughts on the no foul collision? From my vantage no doubt a foul should have been called. I thought the crew was excellent and wished they called more of our games but that is one of the no calls you walk away scratchi g your head on. Happy that neither player got hurt

It was a great game. I can tell you I thought Mason did a good job on Neace and she still had 28! Mason just had more overall contributions last night. But overall a fantastic game. I spoke with the Coach from SK as they were walking out of the gym and he was pleased overall with how his team played and how the game was officiated. He said he had no complaints. That both teams played hard.

I talked with Whitney after the game. She said it was a hard hit but she actually fell on her butt, so the only thing that was sore was her shoulder where the contact was made. Otherwise she said she was fine. I hope the SK girl was okay as well. The play was on a loose ball and I think both players were just going hard to try to get it. I don't think either player had more of an advantage where a foul could be called but it was a hard collision.

As for the over and back, the Stamper girl jumped from the front court and landed in the back court when she caught the ball. She had not established herself in the backcourt. So I thought the call was right, but wasn't positive because I wasn't sure if a player could catch the ball in the air and land on either side of the line without a violation. Neace was still in the backcourt when she made the pass. The call wasn't on her.

If this game had been at the State Tournament it would have been written up as one of best games to be played IMO. Both teams had their chances and both teams weren't willing to give it up. I'm glad SK isn't in the region with MC and hope the next time we play is tn this year's State Tournament.

Thanks Maysvilleky. If she jumped from the front court then it was def. over and back. I also thought it was very well officiated and resulted in a good flow to the game.

I can't argue to loudly regarding the two girls colliding. First, they were both going full speed and glad to here the Mason girl is ok. I can't say first hand the SK girl is but she finished the game and was walking around just find afterward. The second point is I just thought the refs should have called jump ball at worst on the collision. It happened so quickly but I thought the SK girl got to the ball first (very close though) and the impact resulted in loss of the ball out of bounds.

That call aside. I would love to see these two teams go at it again. The best money I have spent this season for sure. Anyone that was thinking about going and decided not to missed and really good game.

I thought the deciding moments of the game were actually the FIRST 3 minutes, not the last. SK came off the bus sluggish and unfocused. By radio, I counted 4 out 6 possessions were unforced turnovers to start the game which MC capitalized to build a 10 pt lead. If SK plays those first 3 minutes even, I believe we have a different result. I believe SK needs to do something different with their pre-game routine because these start of game mental lapses occur frequently.

Very good point as I agree that the first few minutes of the game looked like it was going to be a run away. Everyone always focuses on the last critical possession but in reality they are all critical. The turnover at the beginning of the game is equally as important at the end. The positive is the team didn't fold and battled right back to take the lead and kept it for sometime

Looking at the box score, too much of the scoring burden is on Niece. Meier and Buckner in single digits is, IMO, not going to get it done vs quality competition. Guards need to feed the post, and the post players need to concentrate and finish. SK used to run a lot of high low with Tomlin and Cox. They don't seem to do that with Buckner and Meier. I wish they would bring that offensive set out of the closet!

To address lack of focus at the start of the game, I propose a full contact layup drill with pads in pre game! Coach Stowers, Are you reading?

Edited by Pioneer.Pride

Sumo what's your thoughts on the no foul collision? From my vantage no doubt a foul should have been called. I thought the crew was excellent and wished they called more of our games but that is one of the no calls you walk away scratchi g your head on. Happy that neither player got hurt

It was a terrible collision and a foul should have been called but who do you call it on? Both girls going full steam ahead for a loose ball and both get there at the same time. If you call a foul the other team is going crazy, so a no call maybe be best. Now who the ball belong to is anybody's guess.

Mason County was really hyped and came out with a lot of energy which sped up SK maybe a little more than they wanted to be. But to SK's credit they shook it off quick and made a big comeback to lead at the end of the 1st quarter. It was just overall a great game with the lead swinging back and forth many times. Like I said, both teams had their chances to win the game. SK had some shots right at the end that wouldn't fall (#44 missed a 2 footer and there was a missed open three) and MC with missed FTs.

Honestly if they call the game off as tied at the end of the 1st OT and give both teams a 1/2 Win they would have both deserved it. I commend both teams for their effort and execution. 2 very evenly matched teams.

Looking at the box score, too much of the scoring burden is on Niece. Meier and Buckner in single digits is, IMO, not going to get it done vs quality competition. Guards need to feed the post, and the post players need to concentrate and finish. SK used to run a lot of high low with Tomlin and Cox. They don't seem to do that with Buckner and Meier. I wish they would bring that offensive set out of the closet!

To address lack of focus at the start of the game, I propose a full contact layup drill with pads in pre game! Coach Stowers, Are you reading?

2 things; 1) I think you maybe be surprised by the shots taken in the paint in this box score. But also quite a few of the TO's were either errant passes into the paint or the ball just simply not being controlled underneath. 2) this team IMO needs to learn the advantages of skip passing and kick outs on drives to the basket and from the post. If the post player gets the ball in the low block and is cut off from the basket, and the defense is packed in which they normally are against this team because of Meier's presence, the kick out is almost always open, instead of forcing up a shot. Mason is very good at that.

2 things; 1) I think you maybe be surprised by the shots taken in the paint in this box score. But also quite a few of the TO's were either errant passes into the paint or the ball just simply not being controlled underneath. 2) this team IMO needs to learn the advantages of skip passing and kick outs on drives to the basket and from the post. If the post player gets the ball in the low block and is cut off from the basket, and the defense is packed in which they normally are against this team because of Meier's presence, the kick out is almost always open, instead of forcing up a shot. Mason is very good at that.

Are you implying there were missed chippies , or missed contested shots?