Clay County 73 Las Vegas (NV) 56

I know this will be a very unpopular post, but who in the world would make the decision to take a bunch of (harmone-raging teenage boys....and that is what all teenage boys have in common) to compete in a basketball tournament in Sin City U.S.A? Is it because the trip was inexpensive? Obviously, NOT. Is it because the basketball competition would be quality? Suspect a resounding YES. But, this could be found in 100 different tournament sites that most adults would consider a healthier environment for impressionable young males. So, why Vegas? Because it's Vegas!

Sorry, don't agree with the adults that made this tournament travel decision. IMO

I know this will be a very unpopular post, but who in the world would make the decision to take a bunch of (harmone-raging teenage boys....and that is what all teenage boys have in common) to compete in a basketball tournament in Sin City U.S.A? Is it because the trip was inexpensive? Obviously, NOT. Is it because the basketball competition would be quality? Suspect a resounding YES. But, this could be found in 100 different tournament sites that most adults would consider a healthier environment for impressionable young males. So, why Vegas? Because it's Vegas!

Sorry, don't agree with the adults that made this tournament travel decision. IMO

Have you ever even been to Vegas? You do know you can go to Vegas and not do stupid stuff. In fact Vegas is getting more and more kid friendly with each passing day day. I've been twice and have never done stupid stuff. Never been arrested there. Never had a Hangover movie moment there. Hell, I didn't even gamble that much there last time I went. There is a whole lot more to Vegas than what you see on TV. It is a beautiful city with monstrous hotels in a desert surrounded by mountains. Hoover Dam is an amazing spectacle and Lake Mead is breath taking.

Truthfully I think Vegas is overrated. It is fun and I think everyone should go at least once for the experience but your post comes off as someone who has never been to Vegas or someone who went to Vegas and couldn't handle it.

I'd say these kids had a pretty cool life experience while out there and oh...they happen to be winning some games and representing the state pretty well.

Have you ever even been to Vegas? You do know you can go to Vegas and not do stupid stuff. In fact Vegas is getting more and more kid friendly with each passing day day. I've been twice and have never done stupid stuff. Never been arrested there. Never had a Hangover movie moment there. Hell, I didn't even gamble that much there last time I went. There is a whole lot more to Vegas than what you see on TV. It is a beautiful city with monstrous hotels in a desert surrounded by mountains. Hoover Dam is an amazing spectacle and Lake Mead is breath taking.

Truthfully I think Vegas is overrated. It is fun and I think everyone should go at least once for the experience but your post comes off as someone who has never been to Vegas or someone who went to Vegas and couldn't handle it.

I'd say these kids had a pretty cool life experience while out there and oh...they happen to be winning some games and representing the state pretty well.

Sorry, been there once and have no desire to go back. I am not a gambler, and went there for a relative's wedding. Agree that the lights and buildings are spectacular; but, what everyone experiences in human sights, pamphlet distributions that you must physically reject at every step on the strip, and the street hawkers lauding their wares on the streets are something an adult might find amusing. I contend a teenager would find it impressionable and not what most parents would be comfortable exposing their children to. IMO

Sorry, been there once and have no desire to go back. I am not a gambler, and went there for a relative's wedding. Agree that the lights and buildings are spectacular; but, what everyone experiences in human sights, pamphlet distributions that you must physically reject at every step on the strip, and the street hawkers lauding their wares on the streets are something an adult might find amusing. I contend a teenager would find it impressionable and not what most parents would be comfortable exposing their children to. IMO

When I was there for a week last August I never saw anything out of the way on the streets and we normally stayed out until around 10-11pm each night. I'd be shocked if these kids were walking around on the strip after those hours when I suspect things get shady on the strip. We went to the Bellagio fountains and hung out there for an hour and half watching the different fountain shows. We went to Old Vegas and hung out there on two different evenings and took in the light show there as well. I get that Vegas can seem like an awful place for teenagers but like I said I doubt they are out and about when the freaks come out at night.

I'd have no issue at all with my son's team traveling to Vegas for a tournament. Of course, I'd be there with the team as well. :D

These old eyes were there for the light and water shows also, and they were spectacular. At my age, I was sleeping at 11:00, so my experience was pre-late night freak, I guess. If it got worse as the night went on, it had to be beyond decadent. We can agree on one thing besides the light and water shows, your wise decision to accompany your son if he went on such a tournament trip. Suspect you would not be comfortable delegating that supervision to someone else in Vegas, where you might in many other tournament venues.

These old eyes were there for the light and water shows also, and they were spectacular. At my age, I was sleeping at 11:00, so my experience was pre-late night freak, I guess. If it got worse as the night went on, it had to be beyond decadent. We can agree on one thing besides the light and water shows, your wise decision to accompany your son if he went on such a tournament trip. Suspect you would not be comfortable delegating that supervision to someone else in Vegas, where you might in many other tournament venues.

Part that. The other part is while I think Vegas is overrated I have always enjoyed it and welcome a trip there. Accompanying my son is as good of an excuse as any. :D

I agree 100 percent with pp92, Vegas is no differnt than any city, if a kid is looking for trouble he will find it wether it be Vegas or Louisville or Cincinnati or any city.

What this trip has provided is the opportunity for alot of kids to experience something and a place that they will never experience again. It has also provided maxium exposure for Clays top level talent and a bonding experience for the team to become closer. And by the outcome of the games id say it is doing so.

It never ceases to amaze me how people find the negative in everything, but then again some grip about paying taxes after winning the lottery.

Sorry that my post offended those that supported this decision. Suspected it would, and will confess it was always coming from an admitted values and decision making mind of an older generation. Have always thought we needed to protect our youth and mold them in ways that will serve them for a lifetime. Exposing them to the pervasive decadence in Sin City would not fit my antiquated mold. IMO there are multiple other tournament venues that would accomplish everything desired for a TEAM, and avoid the hawkish immorality of the Vegas environment. When adults want to experience this at their own expense, that is their right and most are probably old enough to properly evaluate as the extreme.

I am finished, no more from Oldercoach on this subject.

Sorry that my post offended those that supported this decision. Suspected it would' date=' and will confess it was always coming from an admitted values and decision making mind of an older generation. Have always thought we needed to protect our youth and mold them in ways that will serve them for a lifetime. Exposing them to the pervasive decadence in Sin City would not fit my antiquated mold. IMO there are multiple other tournament venues that would accomplish everything desired for a TEAM, and avoid the hawkish immorality of the Vegas environment. When adults want to experience this at their own expense, that is their right and most are probably old enough to properly evaluate as the extreme. I am finished, no more from Oldercoach on this subject.[/quote']

Disagreeing is not being offended.

I think it is a great experience for these kids. Some of these players may never leave Manchester, it will be the first for some to ever board an airplane. It may even inspire a kid that there is a big world out there, for them to be a pathfinder.

It would be pretty neat to say that you played in the Tarkanian Classic. I'm probably a little bias on that one.

I agree 100 percent with pp92, Vegas is no differnt than any city, if a kid is looking for trouble he will find it wether it be Vegas or Louisville or Cincinnati or any city.

What this trip has provided is the opportunity for alot of kids to experience something and a place that they will never experience again. It has also provided maxium exposure for Clays top level talent and a bonding experience for the team to become closer. And by the outcome of the games id say it is doing so.

It never ceases to amaze me how people find the negative in everything, but then again some grip about paying taxes after winning the lottery.

Vegas is very different from other cities in the U.S. as if you are 18 and have $50 in your pocket you can legally order a prostitute. No cities can say that outside Nevada. The pamphlets were mentioned in earlier posts and show you who to call and how much they cost.

Having said that, Vegas is alot of fun for kids and/or adults. There is plenty to do for both, but it is very different and there are temptations that other cities cannot offer.