Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why are soccer players so much smarter than football players?

Featured Replies

Could it be from all the head banging they do in football? Perhaps all that water they suck down leads to brain swelling? Whatever the reason, I think it's worth trying to find out.

Because you have to be a card-carrying MENSA member to appreciate their beautiful game.

 

Or because the flop usually occurs before the contact. Not sure which is correct.

"Minimal contact allowed..........LOL"

As per another thread I thought you were thinking the soccer kids take a harder beating than footballers?

  • Author
Because you have to be a card-carrying MENSA member to appreciate their beautiful game.

 

Or because the flop usually occurs before the contact. Not sure which is correct.

 

Excellent hypothesis. Keep up the good work. I think it has some validity because as you know, our sport requires players to think for themselves as the game goes on and make split second decisions. They do not have the luxury of running a play and reassembling for further instructions as happens in other sports.

The typical NFL playbook is 5-6 inches thick and will contain 300-500 plays. Maybe soccer players are smarter because they have room in their brains for something else.

  • Author
"Minimal contact allowed..........LOL"

As per another thread I thought you were thinking the soccer kids take a harder beating than footballers?

 

Oh no, not a harder beating, I was merely poking fun at the minimal contact comment.

Excellent hypothesis. Keep up the good work. I think it has some validity because as you know, our sport requires players to think for themselves as the game goes on and make split second decisions. They do not have the luxury of running a play and reassembling for further instructions as happens in other sports.

 

You are correct.

 

"Do I run or do I fall?"

Pretty sure medical study after study has proven football is a serious health issue/risk.

When you have xNFL players committing suicide via shot gun blast to their chest to preserve their brain to prove the damage they received from playing the sport, it say a whole lot.

 

Pretty much answers this question.

 

Football and cigarettes have two things in common. Both have been proven without a doubt they are seriously bad for your health. Both make a LOT of people a LOT of money, for this reason one will never be made illegal, the other will never be canceled/disbanded.

I don't know. I did pretty well for myself playing football. I scored better (GPA, national tests, etc...) than any soccer player in my class. I would say, and I know that this is a facetious thread, it has to do w/ the socioeconomic aspect of who plays soccer in the US. Generally speaking, you will find soccer players come from two parent homes, higher income, and parents with a higher educational background when looking across the country. As for making decisions in sport, it is completely different. While football teams do get 35 seconds b/n plays to decide on the next plan of attack, they have mere seconds to recognize what the offense is doing. The offense then has mere seconds to recognize what the defense alignment means. You do this song and dance 100 plus times/game. It takes brains to remember your assignments.

 

As for soccer, it depends on your system. Midfielders like Day are incredibly intelligent with their understanding of when to possess and when to push the pace. Constrastly, there really isn't much thought process for some teams who play one or two combinations here or there and just long ball it forward.

The old cliche of the big dumb football just isn't true. Sure there are exceptions, but you'd be amazed how many football players end up as valedictorian, etc. And just the game itself is full of on field,quick on the fly adjustments. All sports have subtle nuances, and require quick decisions, and some level of intelligence to play.

Be very interesting to see an IQ test comparison on 1000 xprofessional soccer players with 10 years or more playing professional soccer compared against 1000

xprofessional football players with 10 years or more playing professional football.

  • Author
The old cliche of the big dumb football just isn't true. Sure there are exceptions, but you'd be amazed how many football players end up as valedictorian, etc. And just the game itself is full of on field,quick on the fly adjustments. All sports have subtle nuances, and require quick decisions, and some level of intelligence to play.

 

I think you are right but by posting such a silly thread it kind of points out the ridiculous nature of the clichéd comments about soccer players being un-athletic don't you think? These kinds of stereotypes can cut both ways.

you'd be amazed how many football players end up as valedictorian, etc.

 

Name three HS football players in NKY that were valedictorian in the last 3 years.

Name three HS football players in NKY that were valedictorian in the last 3 years.

 

As far as NKY, I can't...I can't name any valedictorian. But where I went to school, football players were top one or two almost every year. My son played football, finished top 10 in his class, and got nearly a free ride to college.

Wonderlic tests for everyone!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.