Frosh Regional

mexitucky

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looked like Ryle had close to 25 players dressed for the game. Not sure with that many why they need to play their top freshman on both frosh and jv, but to each their own. From what I saw Ryle had the upper hand over CCH and it showed up in the final score line. CCH played Ryle tough, but 4-5 top players in the freshmen class do matter.

HHS will need to find another level of play to beat Ryle tomorrrow, but they have some nice players and the frosh coach does a good job of getting them to play together. Good luck Birds!

Playing top freshman at freshman level:

1. Could be a coaching philosophy with playing freshman at freshman level.

2. It could Be due to numbers, if you look at the ryle website they have 24 to 25 on each team.

3. It could be to keep a strong class playing together for the future health of the program, something we don't see much anymore as teams are in a hurry to rush players forward at all levels.

I think we are all talking about different plays here. Some yellow cards were issued to ryle but I'm not referring to those. It was a hard played, clean game for the most part. The play I'm referring to didn't involve cards. As I predicted earlier....Ryle v St Henry in the final.

Any updates today?

Ryle 1 HHS 0. This was an awesome game. HHS finally started to move the ball at speed. Ryle probably came out at a B- level effort wise and HHS took it to them. Free kick hit the crossbar. Ryle woke up for the 2nd half and controlled possession capped off by a great individual goal from about 25 yards out. Absolute lazer off of a slick move to slip the central mid. HHS started mounting the pressure in the 2nd half and had 3 great opportunities to score. One corner HHS player was a half step from connecting on a point blank header as he crossed the goalies face. 2nd, header wide off of a corner. Finally, in the last minute, a sitter was cleared off the line off of a free kick by #17 for Ryle. 2 HHS players were a step away from tapping it in. Awesome effort all around. The Birds defense has gotten very solid. When they move the ball like they did today, they are tough to beat. Ryle has great individual skill. They don't quite look cohesive. It will be more interesting than I thought today.

NewCath beat Cooper in penalties. They have a thin bench, and that will hurt against a deep Ryle team.

Ryle beat HHS 1-0. Ryle is talented, deep and has some nice sized kids. Ryle dominated play in the first half. They didn't have a ton of clear chances, but looked more dangerous first half. Birds did a great job staying organized and moving the ball quickly on attack. HHS had several free kick opportunities including one that hit the crossbar. Score at half-time 0-0.

Ryle scored on a long (maybe 25 yard) really well hit strike after dispossessing HHS playing out of the back fairly early in the second half. After about 5 minutes of looking down, HHS came back really strong and put a ton of pressure on Ryle during the last 15 minutes of the game. HHS had maybe 6 or 7 corners in the second half. Ryle cleared at least one ball off its own goal line and the Ryle goalie had a great save to tip wide a shot heading for the top left corner. Very exciting game and well played by both teams. On balance the score is probably a fair result, but the Birds put Ryle to the test.

Good luck to Ryle in the remaining games.