Officiating in the WKC

the game guy

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that KHSAA ran a full page ad in the LHL looking for officials its a given there are a lot of new faces.

Lets remember that they have no replay, many are new, its a hard game to officiate and that they are only 5 guys at ground level - not 100s in the stands with a completely different view.

How in the world is this possible in football ?

Throwing flags after they watch to see outcome of a play, throwing flags when coaches question a call (and I mean truly just questioning, not yelling/cussing the official), waving off a penalty any time a specific official throws a flag, having multiple stoppages to discuss calls where conferences last more than 30 seconds. These are just a few things, I could probably come up with a few more. I am not saying this happens often but I have seen this in the last couple years at a couple of games I attended.

As a stated earlier though, luckily I have not seen that this year.

There needs something done to get people interested in calling games as I hear there are not enough to go around on certain nights and they have to go to other groups to get guys to fill in for the games. It is sad that there might not be enough refs in a few years to call all of the games on Friday nights. Games would have to be moved to Thursdays and Saturdays?

There needs something done to get people interested in calling games as I hear there are not enough to go around on certain nights and they have to go to other groups to get guys to fill in for the games. It is sad that there might not be enough refs in a few years to call all of the games on Friday nights. Games would have to be moved to Thursdays and Saturdays?

Shortages in all sports. People just don't want to put up with the mess that comes with it at times. Guys that do officiate become a pretty tight group, both small and large. High school sports get tougher and tougher to do. So many people forget its about the kids and not them.

The best crews are the ones you don't know are out there. Make it safer. The kid who peels back 20+ yards away from the play on a defenseless player, flag him every time or toss them; from my experiences, those were usually the same kids who liked looking the part of an all-star against scout team freshmen in practice. Blind siding somebody completely has to go away, it should have a long time ago.

Keep the game under control, but don't control the game.

I addressed this in another thread, but the amount of nit picky stuff is getting bothersome. Holding penalties are getting out of control.

Edited by Auburn