NBA New Playoff Format Seeding

NBA approves new playoff format seeding by record, not division winners

Teams now will be seeded one through eight in their respective conferences according to record. Under the previous system, each of the six division winners was guaranteed a top-four spot in the playoffs. If a fourth team had a better record than any of the other two division winners in each conference, they would be seeded appropriately, but no division winner could drop below the fourth seed.

Now, a scenario could exist in which a division “winner” could have the ninth-best record in a conference a miss the playoffs. It’s an incredibly unlikely scenario, but still possible.

Tiebreak criteria for playoff seeding also has changed, with the best head-to-head record deciding the higher seed in the playoff bracket. Winning the division now is the second tiebreak criteria.

I like it but if they want to make it all of the way right they should just do away with divisions all together and adjust the schedule accordingly. Play each of your own conference teams 3 times and each opposing conference team twice. 72 game schedule. The players get a shorter season and can quit acting like pansies needing rest and the best 8 teams go to the playoffs and are seeded accordingly.

I should be working for the NBA.

I like it but if they want to make it all of the way right they should just do away with divisions all together and adjust the schedule accordingly. Play each of your own conference teams 3 times and each opposing conference team twice. 72 game schedule. The players get a shorter season and can quit acting like pansies needing rest and the best 8 teams go to the playoffs and are seeded accordingly.

I like that plan, but owners won't give up the regular season games...even if it is just 5 home games.

No reason to have divisions if winning a division means nothing. The only thing I might have looked at is divisional winner gets in regardless even if it is as the eight seed.