TouchBack on Field Goal?

greenandpurple

I know this was mentioned in another thread at one time but I can't find it. If a team lines up for a field goal and it makes it to the end zone' date=' is it a touchback? What if is goes out of the end zone?[/quote'] Yes

Touchback either way

So, if it's wide right, it's still a touchback?

Yes. To take it further, once the ball crosses the goal line on any kick, the ball is dead, and not returnable. Touchback (unless the field goal is good) and the team on defense gets the ball on the 20. Missed field goal, kickoff, or punt.

Yes. To take it further, once the ball crosses the goal line on any kick, the ball is dead, and not returnable. Touchback (unless the field goal is good) and the team on defense gets the ball on the 20. Missed field goal, kickoff, or punt.

Random question. If a player is on the field and reaches over his shoulders and catches the ball which has crossed the plane, yet he has not. Is it a touchback?

Random question. If a player is on the field and reaches over his shoulders and catches the ball which has crossed the plane, yet he has not. Is it a touchback?

Once ball crosses the plane it is touchback, much like when a runner/receiver is going in for a touchdown and reaches the ball out without ever actually getting into the endzone.

Not sure about that on a kick off - I believe that the ball can be recovered by the kicking team for an onside kick in the endzone.

I think I remeber Barry Foster returning a kick for the Steelers allowing the ball to lie untouched in the endzone thinking it was a touchback and the ball was recovered by the kicking team (49ers) for a touchdown.

Not sure about that on a kick off - I believe that the ball can be recovered by the kicking team for an onside kick in the endzone.

I think I remeber Barry Foster returning a kick for the Steelers allowing the ball to lie untouched in the endzone thinking it was a touchback and the ball was recovered by the kicking team (49ers) for a touchdown.

You're talking about the NFL and college rule.

High school refs kill it as soon as the ball crosses the plane of the goal line.

Gotcha - And I googled it after my post - The ball was actually recovered at the 5 yard line not in the endzone in the Steelers/49ers game.

Barry Foster thought it was a punt and the kicking team would just down the ball instead of recovering an onside kick.