Most Impressive Win by an Unranked 3A Team Last Weekend?

gchs_uk9

We've spent tons of time talking about good wins among the elite in 3A. But who had impressive performances outside of the rankings? Can we expect more of that going forward?

For me, I was impressed with the dismantling Adair County put on Taylor County. While Adair was strong last year, I was curious to see if it would carry over to this season. And while Taylor County is no world beater, they do have some momentum going into the season. Thoughts?

I'm not sure it ranks as the most impressive overall, but I was impressed with Fleming Co. going on the road to win at Estill Co. I expected Fleming to take a big step back this year after graduating about 85% of its offense. Estill Co. Is also rebuilding in the post Trevor Jones era, but this result was still impressive to me. Who knows? Maybe the Panthers will end up having the down year many are expecting, but then again, maybe this early road win will instill the confidence they need to propel them to another winning season.

I'm not sure it ranks as the most impressive overall, but I was impressed with Fleming Co. going on the road to win at Estill Co. I expected Fleming to take a big step back this year after graduating about 85% of its offense. Estill Co. Is also rebuilding in the post Trevor Jones era, but this result was still impressive to me. Who knows? Maybe the Panthers will end up having the down year many are expecting, but then again, maybe this early road win will instill the confidence they need to propel them to another winning season.

Yeah, it's hard to take much from early games without knowing the details, but I too thought Fleming County would really struggle. And it typically is hard to win at Estill County if they are good or bad.

I thought Elizabethtown looked like a top 10 team against west Jessamine. I like their chances to make some noise this year if they can get a favorable draw in the playoffs

Yes. And that unranked victory last week is probably why BGP has them ranked this week. I'll be interested to follow E-town.

I agree that Fleming and Adair both had very impressive. Adair mastered something that has typically given them trouble, by holding a power running team to just over 100 yds and 6 pts. With Adair working out that bug in their D I think that they are closing in on top 10 soon, and a matchup with ETown will be one to watch later in the year!

Probably one of the most impressive performances by an unranked team to me was not actually a victory.

I thought Caldwell County was really impressive against Christian County.

I also think two teams need special mention:

McCreary Central- Won't be sniffing the Top 10 at any point, but they ended their long losing streak and in dominant fashion. They may be the most improved team in the state.

Knott Central- Another team who will not get a ton of pub that is about to change their program. Not a big Coach Chapman fan, but he is alreadyc hanging that football culture. They have a 6'7 240 FRESHMAN QB named Cameron Jones who made his debut going 13/19, 4 TD, 1 INT. Expect Knott Central to drastically improve this season and moving forward.

I also think two teams need special mention:

McCreary Central- Won't be sniffing the Top 10 at any point, but they ended their long losing streak and in dominant fashion. They may be the most improved team in the state.

McCreary Central dropped out of district play and is competing as an independent this season but it would have been interesting to see how they would have competed against Jackson County for that last spot in the playoffs. Of course dropping Bell, Corbin, and even Casey has made their schedule more competitive and with some wins, hopefully the program will continue to grow.