Notre Dame 3 Cooper 0 (25-17, 25-14, 25-12)

NKYVB

Again, it's a thin pool of talent in the rest of the state. A tournament without all the best teams is meaningless.

Yup. Assumption and Sacred Heart are 2 of the top 20 teams in the nation, but only 1 will go to state. Stupid. and only 1 team between Ryle, St. Henry, ND will go. Meanwhile, rural Regions of the state are sending whoever. Watch the early rounds of the state tournament matches online - the level of play is terrible.

I can't answer for Ryle per se but I'm sure any team would like a shot at the state title. However that is tough to accomplish when some of the best volleyball players are attending the Catholic schools in their high school years and leaving public school just to get the chance to go to state. The fact that the girls start in third grade is only one factor in why they are able to play at a higher level. Their tradition of going to state year after year also helps them entice the best players to attend that school. In the public school, it is more of s lottery from year to year although I do think some families move to Union so their girls can play for Ryle. I'm just saying it makes it tough for any public school to take the top spot away from one of the Catholic schools unless they happen to get lucky with a very talented team.

This has been said many times...there's nothing stopping public school kids from starting to play club volleyball in 3rd grade, or even 2nd grade.

And the "Catholic Schools start in 3rd grade" excuse is getting old....people, have you ever seen these 3rd & 4th grade private school leagues? Short season, equal playing time, usually coached by someone in college who used to play or a parent that used to play. Not exactly the training ground of future Gatorade All-Americans. Club is where the real coaching and training is at, and club is available to anyone year 'round.

This has been said many times...there's nothing stopping public school kids from starting to play club volleyball in 3rd grade, or even 2nd grade.

And the "Catholic Schools start in 3rd grade" excuse is getting old....people, have you ever seen these 3rd & 4th grade private school leagues? Short season, equal playing time, usually coached by someone in college who used to play or a parent that used to play. Not exactly the training ground of future Gatorade All-Americans. Club is where the real coaching and training is at, and club is available to anyone year 'round.

That's kind of a clueless answer... how do you join a club team when you have no idea club exists? How do you seek out rec sports leagues for girls volleyball when your school system doesn't even acknowledge it exists until 6th grade? And if you're relying on the public middle school system to give you a strong foundation in volleyball or information and encouragement to play club ball you will be disappointed more likely than not.

Dallaslaredo, You are assuming that all parents and kids are endowed with your knowledge about the volleyball world. They aren't.

I recently had a discussion with a public middle school volleyball coach. She was complaining that the high school had taken several girls from her team. I pointed out that it was a great opportunity for them to compete at a higher level and that one was starting varsity. Her answer was, "But All of them would start for me, and our team would be really good this year."

Even though private school leagues may be short and not as well structured as club, it is the first step... when you take that step in 3rd as opposed to 6th, and in a place were club participation is embraced... how is that comparable to the lack of information that kids get from public schools?

Prove to me that private school kids are genetically superior athletes and I'll stop posting about how the focus on athletics by private schools at an earlier age is directly leading to their superiority in sports at the high school level. Ryle is probably the closest thing you can provide as an answer, and they have ZERO state titles... 0. ie... none, nada, no enchilada, negative, un uh, never ever ever gonna happen, notga..notga...not gonna work here no more, nope, eh- eh...

Lol. Club volleyball is the only reason girls get college scholarships, but nice try.

What does that have to do with anything? Who was talking about scholarships? Isn't there more to it than scholarships? Those clubs take money from parents and create 3 or sometimes 4 teams for one age group. Most the time, team 2,3, and four our not 'Club' type players. It is the biggest money grab going.

Isn't there about a team a year that goes under because someone had stolen the money and the kids can't even play in tourneys?

It's a racket and they need to be monitored more closely on several levels. IMO

Nice try!

What does that have to do with anything? Who was talking about scholarships? Isn't there more to it than scholarships? Those clubs take money from parents and create 3 or sometimes 4 teams for one age group. Most the time, team 2,3, and four our not 'Club' type players. It is the biggest money grab going.

Isn't there about a team a year that goes under because someone had stolen the money and the kids can't even play in tourneys?

It's a racket and they need to be monitored more closely on several levels. IMO

Nice try!

It sounds to me like you are severely jaded by a bad club experience or just uniformed....

Very few clubs fold up each year and even fewer "steal money" as you put it. This past year Bluegrass Select and Midwest Xtreme decided to close their doors in NKY, but that is the only time I can remember that happening in recent memory. Neither was a premier volleyball club. Bluegrass Select was a small club that was only around a few years and had only a few teams. Midwest was around for at least five years if not longer, and they made arrangements for their kids to receive a try out at another club when they decided to call it quits. I believe the reason they decided to close their doors after a complete season was that their practice facility costs for the next year were going to increase dramatically and they couldn't find a suitable alternative.

Like it or not, Club volleyball is where kids go to become better at volleyball. Of those who choose to do so, some will be lucky enough to get a college scholarship, but for the vast majority they are there because they love the sport and are trying to ensure they have a decent HS experience. More kids than not get athletic scholarships or accepted into D3 programs on NKYVC's, NKJV's, Elevation's, Cincy Classic's, and Tri-State Elite's 1's teams, and even kids on the 2's have been known to do so as well. I don't believe Blue Crush, Caliente, Midwest, or Bluegrass's kids received very many, but a few did.

As far as money goes, I don't think there are very many people getting rich off of club volleyball. Your "money grab" comment isn't even close to correct.

The best volleyball players all play club. Can you play in high school without it? Yes, but you'll always be a step behind the better players in the area, state, and nation.

Most of the elite clubs are for non-profit anyway. The girls pay what it costs the club to have its doors open and that's about it. Coaches don't make huge salaries and neither does the rest of the club. "Money grabbing" doesn't exist.