Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKY Sluggers

Featured Replies

Haley Meyers numbers to date......37 hits, 10 2B, 7 3B, 2 HR, .466 OB%, 807 SLG%, .446 avg.

 

Bolded indicate team leader.

 

also 17-9 144K's 1.84ERA....having one hell of a year.

 

Is she not the "team leader" in the pitching categories?? :banana:

  • Replies 31
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for the players who have home fields with extremely deep fences. For instance, I've never seen anyone hit it out at St. Henry or Villa. I'm sure there would have been quite a few more for the St. Henry team this year if the fence weren't so deep. Especially Gabby Stewart. Most of her triples would have been out. And that would have raised her slug % and RBIs.

Maybe whatbestforthegirls will chime in to dispute the Villa field not having home runs hit on it. In past threads it has been stated that B.Meier has hit homeruns at Villa and most of their games were played there. I've never personally seen the field, so I'm just stating some facts as far as what has been stated in previous post by whatsbestforthegirls and looking at Villas schedule. By the way, I'm not trying to knock anyone:)

  • Author
Maybe whatbestforthegirls will chime in to dispute the Villa field not having home runs hit on it. In past threads it has been stated that B.Meier has hit homeruns at Villa and most of their games were played there. I've never personally seen the field, so I'm just stating some facts as far as what has been stated in previous post by whatsbestforthegirls and looking at Villas schedule. By the way, I'm not trying to knock anyone:)

 

It's pretty deep, not very symmetrical, but I think the shortest spot is LC about 228'.

Maybe whatbestforthegirls will chime in to dispute the Villa field not having home runs hit on it. In past threads it has been stated that B.Meier has hit homeruns at Villa and most of their games were played there. I've never personally seen the field, so I'm just stating some facts as far as what has been stated in previous post by whatsbestforthegirls and looking at Villas schedule. By the way, I'm not trying to knock anyone:)

 

Villa does have an extremely deep fence, measuring at least 225. You would be correct in that all B. Meier and Wagner HRs have been inside the park. However, an inside the park home run, where the runner is able to hit the ball deep into the outfield (though not far enough to clear the fences) and runs around all bases into home plate before the defense can get the ball to the catcher, is still considered a HOME RUN!

 

Both Meier and Wagner have hit the yellow protective caping around Villa's fence, but the ball bounced back inside. On many other fields that would unquestionably be an over the fence/outside the park home run.

 

I know for a fact that Coach Meier reviews the scorebook and stats after every game before entering into the system himself, so as to maintain integrity and verify accuracy.

 

There were several occasions that Coach Meier held B. Meier and Wagner at 2nd or 3rd on a legitimate triple or HR to avoid running up the score during a mercy rule game.

 

IMO, a player that can a hit a fair ball with enough distance that it settles on the ground at or close to the fence, but with the speed to outrun the defense, is no less valuable than a powerhouse that clears the fences. A legitimate inside the park home run (with no error) is still recorded the same as a home run that clears the fence. Both types of player are viable assets and potential sluggers!

 

In MLB, does a player not get credited with a HR when it hits the fence and they clear the bases with no defensive error?!?!?! Statistically, an inside the park HR counts as a regular HR in the player's season and career totals.

Edited by WhatsBestForTheGirls

Villa does have an extremely deep fence, measuring at least 225. You would be correct in that all B. Meier and Wagner HRs have been inside the park. However, an inside the park home run, where the runner is able to hit the ball deep into the outfield (though not far enough to clear the fences) and runs around all bases into home plate before the defense can get the ball to the catcher, is still considered a HOME RUN!

 

Both Meier and Wagner have hit the yellow protective caping around Villa's fence, but the ball bounced back inside. On many other fields that would unquestionably be an over the fence/outside the park home run.

 

I know for a fact that Coach Meier reviews the scorebook and stats after every game before entering into the system himself, so as to maintain integrity and verify accuracy.

 

There were several occasions that Coach Meier held B. Meier and Wagner at 2nd or 3rd on a legitimate triple or HR to avoid running up the score during a mercy rule game.

 

IMO, a player that can a hit a fair ball with enough distance that it settles on the ground at or close to the fence, but with the speed to outrun the defense, is no less valuable than a powerhouse that clears the fences. A legitimate inside the park home run (with no error) is still recorded the same as a home run that clears the fence. Both types of player are viable assets and potential sluggers!

 

In MLB, does a player not get credited with a HR when it hits the fence and they clear the bases with no defensive error?!?!?! Statistically, an inside the park HR counts as a regular HR in the player's season and career totals.

 

Couldn't have said it any better.

In the case of Shelby Graybill... The fences prevented more homers than gave her... Some of her lasers would still be rolling... Put her on a field with 228 fences and she gets a couple inside the parkers... She is an efficient base runner and NOT as slow as some may think... I think the other thing is she did not play against a couple teams that probably cost her at least a couple.

In the case of Shelby Graybill... The fences prevented more homers than gave her... Some of her lasers would still be rolling... Put her on a field with 228 fences and she gets a couple inside the parkers... She is an efficient base runner and NOT as slow as some may think... I think the other thing is she did not play against a couple teams that probably cost her at least a couple.

 

Ask AllenR, Shelby's mom gave him the "business" tonight on a single to center that was misplayed and Shelby raced around to 3rd. She's got a little "hitch to her gettie up". :thumb:

Seen a couple that looked as if the wind put a 40ft wall up at the fence knocking a couple out.

 

Has Shelby had an INSIDE the fence home run? Doubtful...

I know she's hit a bunch far enough - had the fence not been there - to get around the bases. But you have to be pretty darn fast to make it inside. She's not SLOW, but she isn't quite FAST either.

 

I beg to differ, Shelby is in the top 10% of players for speed. I had the pleasure of being at an off-season workout last year at Rossford park. Pretty sure she had some of the top numbers rounding the bases. And when allowed, she has stolen every base that she has attempted this year.

 

Now to answer that inside the park home run....no need, when all are over the fence by a mile.....but that triple last night got her held up at 3rd, no one would have been waved on to go to home.

 

Which brings me to my last argument, even in baseball, most, and I mean most, in the park HRs are off some kind of error by the outfield or infield, bobble the ball, over the head and had to chase, catcher missed tag, or out of position and had to shift because the ball was thrown bad to them. Rare is it to see an actual outfielder catch the ball on one hop, relay to second, and second base miss the tag at home. Unless you have Mr. Bolt from Jamaica run the bases, that runner would have to have a keen mindset to run all out, ignore any of the coaches calls, and run as hard as they could.

 

BTW, the Brossert tournament early in the spring, had the fences at 235. The grounds keeper told me they had to move them to KHSAA Max standards, per the host school. Most, and I mean most, colleges don't play 235, 220 if that. But hey, Shelby hit 3 right at the fence, so call it for what it is, legal is legal right? It was commented on BGP that she has never hit off of the Brossert pitcher in all 4 years she played her.....but she did, months later. HR, grand slam, out of the park. Best of luck to all the team tonight!! Regions will be exciting to watch.

I beg to differ, Shelby is in the top 10% of players for speed. I had the pleasure of being at an off-season workout last year at Rossford park. Pretty sure she had some of the top numbers rounding the bases. And when allowed, she has stolen every base that she has attempted this year.

 

Now to answer that inside the park home run....no need, when all are over the fence by a mile.....but that triple last night got her held up at 3rd, no one would have been waved on to go to home.

 

Which brings me to my last argument, even in baseball, most, and I mean most, in the park HRs are off some kind of error by the outfield or infield, bobble the ball, over the head and had to chase, catcher missed tag, or out of position and had to shift because the ball was thrown bad to them. Rare is it to see an actual outfielder catch the ball on one hop, relay to second, and second base miss the tag at home. Unless you have Mr. Bolt from Jamaica run the bases, that runner would have to have a keen mindset to run all out, ignore any of the coaches calls, and run as hard as they could.

BTW, the Brossert tournament early in the spring, had the fences at 235. The grounds keeper told me they had to move them to KHSAA Max standards, per the host school. Most, and I mean most, colleges don't play 235, 220 if that. But hey, Shelby hit 3 right at the fence, so call it for what it is, legal is legal right? It was commented on BGP that she has never hit off of the Brossert pitcher in all 4 years she played her.....but she did, months later. HR, grand slam, out of the park. Best of luck to all the team tonight!! Regions will be exciting to watch.

 

Just for clarity purposes, since when is a ball that is cleanly hit over an outfielder's head considered an error? If the runner rounds the bases and beats the throw home (with no bobbles, missed tag or players out of position) you have a home run. Unless you are implying that the outfield be responsible for playing at the fence for every and all potential sluggers?

 

I have seen hitters adjust to the outfields position and knock one down the line with distance enough to result in an inside the park home run. Would this be considered an error on the outfield for being out of position? It seems to me that this is really the case of a perceptual and talented hitter with the ability for placement, power for distance, and speed in base running! These hitters know when they get distance behind the ball and are going to be running all out, with the full support of their coaches.

 

I am extremely impressed by Miss Graybill's amazing power and game intellect. The distance she gets on the ball puts her in a class of slugger all its own. However, I don't think it is fair to question the authenticity or statistical legitimacy of the home runs posted by players who might not clear the fence (especially at home fields with deep fence lines)! If an inside the park home run meets all the criteria to not be considered the result of any errors, then it counts as a home run for stats and averages, plain and simple.

Right but on average softball fields fence depth is 210 max corners and it being a short field-unlike a baseball field- tends to quicken the game tremendously. On a regulation enclosed field- those hits are double! Unless there is some error somewhere.

Whatsbestforthegirls taught me something new. I didn't realize about a error free inside the park homerun counted as a homerun. I do think as the level of play gets better, inside the park homeruns become less, just like hitting them over the fence becomes less.

I agree that if the fence is at 200-210, there shouldn't be many inside the park homers unless someone is out of position.

  • Author
In the case of Shelby Graybill... The fences prevented more homers than gave her... Some of her lasers would still be rolling... Put her on a field with 228 fences and she gets a couple inside the parkers... She is an efficient base runner and NOT as slow as some may think... I think the other thing is she did not play against a couple teams that probably cost her at least a couple.

 

I'm sorry, I know Shelby is a great hitter and probably the best in NKY in a while, but not that much better than some of the others out there right now. So forgive me if I don't get caught up in the lore.

 

The fences prevented more homers than gave her? Are you serious? Maybe,... maybe she gets a couple in the park HRs, but then you'll have to take nearly all of the out of the park HRs off. Plus, many of those that might have been out in a smaller park, now have a better chance of being caught.

 

There are plenty of players in the region that have hit the ball off the wall on a line shot, I saw one at Dixie in Districts and saw another at Ryle in Districts. That doesn't mean it would have been an inside the park HR in a bigger field. As a matter of fact, the in the park HRs at big fields are usually the balls that hit the gap and roll to the fence.

 

Don't kid yourself, a smaller field helps big hitters with slugging percentage.

No matter what the field dimensions provide, a short or deep fence, it is outside the control and decision making authority of the players and many times coaches as well.

 

A player should not be penalized in the recording of stats because they have a deep home field fence line. Their opponents are hitting on the same field during the game. When the guidelines supply a range, you are going to have discrepancies and inconsistencies from field to field. Many of the fields are not used or supported for just HS Softball.

 

I have confidence that most coaches uphold the integrity of statistics and are not recording an inside the park home run when any error has occurred with ball contact. In the rare case that there are some inaccuracies, it is not justifiable to discredit the legitimacy of every inside the park home run!

I'm sorry, I know Shelby is a great hitter and probably the best in NKY in a while, but not that much better than some of the others out there right now. So forgive me if I don't get caught up in the lore.

 

The fences prevented more homers than gave her? Are you serious? Maybe,... maybe she gets a couple in the park HRs, but then you'll have to take nearly all of the out of the park HRs off. Plus, many of those that might have been out in a smaller park, now have a better chance of being caught.

 

There are plenty of players in the region that have hit the ball off the wall on a line shot, I saw one at Dixie in Districts and saw another at Ryle in Districts. That doesn't mean it would have been an inside the park HR in a bigger field. As a matter of fact, the in the park HRs at big fields are usually the balls that hit the gap and roll to the fence.

 

Don't kid yourself, a smaller field helps big hitters with slugging percentage.

Well you are wrong on a few points... And while I do have a good sense of humor, I really don't tell myself jokes on a regular basis. I'll address you last point first... The State of KY home run leader has about 14 or so homers. I have no idea how big their field is but what that does say is that HRs are a small part of slugging %. My DD has a grand total of one but has a Slugging % in the .830 range. Multiple base hits 2b and 3b contribute more toward SLG than home runs do in the grand scheme of things. Larger dimension fields obviously have more open space to cover... Hit one to the fence in the gap gives the runner more time to round the bases and possibly and extra cut... Hmmm seems like I just read that one. Hence even more time to cover the bases.

 

Next point.... I would love to know who the hitters are that are as good or close to it as Shelby. Facing what she has to face in a lot of games... Intentional or not so intentional walks, if they are not, it is usually a mistake pitch. The schedule the Birds play... There are not many gimmies on HHS schedule unless they are mandatory and from what I've seen, they usually get the #1 in the circle. Maybe not always but most of the time. Shelby did not play in a couple games that could have padded her stats. Lastly, why don't we compare the teams the sluggers play against and check the win-loss record of such teams. I'm going to check ours tonight just because... Let's see??? Would Shelby have better stats against teams with losing records or winning records? Well I know one thing... She has some pretty good ones against the ones with winning records. And you may want to witness some of her home runs... You obviously have not since you are under the impression most would not have cleared deeper fences.

 

My original comment was directed about her speed... And yes I do fall for the Shelby lore... If you want to talk about hitting, power hitting especially, there is no one in Northern KY in the same category... I am a self professed HHS Homer (pardon the pun) and I feel a lot of our girls are very good at what they do... Haley Coffey can pick it as good as any SS. As with Whitney Quillen at third... Our first baseman has a .984 fielding % with over 150 chances. We have a team batting avg over .340. Are they all the best in NKY? Maybe not but pretty darn good....

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.