Male High School Basketball Coach stepping down at season end....

Redman left when they closed the doors to non traditional kids (James Quick). Those doors have been opened back up. I heard from a former head coach that the Male football coach gets 15 spots a year. Male realized without it they couldnt compete with Trinity. Has helped Football but not in basketball. Male has had several transfers in basketball that were from non-traditional middle schools that have since transferred out. As for Renner, I only see him leaving coaching at Ballard for an administrative job.

What I see the problem for Male BB in recent years is they are losing the best players from JCTMS and Barrett to other schools. You are correct that non-traditional middle school kids may not adapt to expectations around both curriculum and decorum. But those kids that attended traditional middle school know the routine and would do okay at Male. They just have chosen to go elsewhere.

There may be talent at Male currently, but plenty of exceptionally talented kids from some of the best middle school teams such as JCTMS & Barrett have never stepped a foot in Male's door. Good example is Jalen Perry. The list doesn't stop there either.

I am not quite sure I have followed the storyline about the AD position at Male. Is it a former Ballard AD that has just recently left Ballard? If so, then if Renner is passed over for the Ballard AD job, it would be perhaps a factor in looking at Male regardless if the Male AD position will not be likely open for a bit of time.

Renner was the head coach at Waggener John Kelsey was the athletic director at Waggener. Not sure the order but Renner went to Ballard Kelsey to Male. I do no think Renner has been passed over for any AD job that I know of.

I think Champ is the girl's coach there right now and doing very well this season. Male did seem to make the right hire with Wolfe in the HC football position. It is a critical hire and if Renner is not interested in reuniting with the former Ballard leadership now at Male then it is wide open. If he wants the new challenge, then perhaps he would be open to it.

I am not quite sure I have followed the storyline about the AD position at Male. Is it a former Ballard AD that has just recently left Ballard? If so, then if Renner is passed over for the Ballard AD job, it would be perhaps a factor in looking at Male regardless if the Male AD position will not be likely open for a bit of time.

Thanks GoHardITP. I have been out of the loop long enough to not realize that Champ was coaching the girls team. I know that after he left Station, he shoulda been scooped up quickly by several teams, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

Well he's been retired for at least three years. And I think he went to jeffersonville, Ind or new Albany can't remember which one. Then one other school. So two different schools not 6.

Male gets athletes and will always be loaded with talent. But there are issues with getting kids in who are on a lower academic scale. Ballard does not have those issues. Both are great jobs, I just do not see a coach who's winning at a high level at a top 5 school in the state at a job with less pressure (from alumni) leaving towards the end of his carrier. Everyone in jcps has worked with a ton of people.

Started at Durrett then went to Ballard then went to Waggener then went to Male then went to jeffersonville. Alright... 5 teams./

Started at Durrett then went to Ballard then went to Waggener then went to Male then went to jeffersonville. Alright... 5 teams./

I was just talking about after he left Male. I did not know we were going over his whole carrier. Guess coaches should never leave a school. Heck one of those schools closed. Guess coaches should only coach at one school ever.

You obviously have an axe to grind with coach Redman; I’m not going to debate that with you. He left because he could not get kids in the school. It has been pointed out in this thread that since he has left Male has started to allow the football team to get kids in. I was just stated the reason he left the school.

With my point being the same it is still easier to get kids at Ballard than at Male.

How about I change the thread back to who might be a potential candidate for the Male BB position.....just a wild guess, but would Coach Gatewood at Taylor County show any interest in returning back to Jefferson County? The Male job still has tradition and appeal. Coach Gatewood is from Jefferson County so it is not out of the realm of possibility. Now, leaving Goodin for his final season would be tough for sure. Perhaps a high level prep school would be a possibility for him and Sloan could simply move back to Louisville.

I know Taylor County hates to think of something like this unfolding, but could it happen? I am just having a little fun with some wild guessing.

How about I change the thread back to who might be a potential candidate for the Male BB position.....just a wild guess, but would Coach Gatewood at Taylor County show any interest in returning back to Jefferson County? The Male job still has tradition and appeal. Coach Gatewood is from Jefferson County so it is not out of the realm of possibility. Now, leaving Goodin for his final season would be tough for sure. Perhaps a high level prep school would be a possibility for him and Sloan could simply move back to Louisville.

I know Taylor County hates to think of something like this unfolding, but could it happen? I am just having a little fun with some wild guessing.

I liked GateWood. Wished he would have got job @ Jeffersontown but they cleared all who was on Morrow's staff, so that was never going to be an option. Jefferson County does need a good young coach but I don't believe he could get the kids he needs @ Male.

Are there any girls coaches who might be viable candidates? From what I know of him, I think John Kelsey would be a great AD to work for.

Josh Leslie the Head Coach at Eastern High School would be somebody that could do a great job at Male. He has some great experience and is a current head girls coach in Jefferson County that would be a viable prospect. His team is 13-4 this season so obviously doing something right with his team.

Josh Leslie the Head Coach at Eastern High School would be somebody that could do a great job at Male. He has some great experience and is a current head girls coach in Jefferson County that would be a viable prospect. His team is 13-4 this season so obviously doing something right with his team.

I googled him. Sounds like he'd be a strong candidate for any job.

Yes and his brother (I believe they are brothers) coaches Manual boys HS.

Talk about a boost to a rivalry. And male manual is one that is already big as it is.

I'm sure there will be a tn of applications. I know Atherton had almost 70 coaches apply last year when it came open.