Inside The 11th Region (1/11/15)

Alright folks, last week was a huge update (which you can read by clicking HERE) and this week was full of wild games, but I’m short on time so we’ll hit the basics.

As I said in my preseason preview, which you can read HERE, I borrowed from William Shakesphere in saying that the motif for this season’s 11th could be, “uneasy lies the head that wears a crown”. That couldn’t be more true when taking a look at this week’s results.

Consider that my #1 team last week, Lexington Catholic, was beaten by Lafayette. Lafayette also beat Bryan Station later in the week. Promptly after, Lexington Catholic beat my #2 team, LCA. Last week, Lafayette was near the bottom of my rankings, but are now surging up.

Lexington Catholic keeps the #1 spot by virtue of beating LCA, and are probably still the #1 team in terms of someone putting a gun to my head and making me pick someone who’d win the region, but they are also kind of there by default at the same time. The Lafayette loss is understandable given that Lafayette Coach Michael Mendenhall is very familiar with Lexington Catholic’s system given that he and his father were heavily involved in their program at one time, and that Lafayette is a talented team.

My new #2 might be a huge shocker to some, but I don’t see why we can’t now say that Lafayette has a chance to “wear the crown”. They’ve beaten last week’s #1 and #3 teams over the past week and are just hot. A loss to a healthy and motivated Tates Creek is understandable, especially after they got revenge by demolishing them last night. Their loss to Scott County is in the distance with the status of DJ Jenkins still in the air and the knowledge that leaving Georgetown with a W is tough. A two-point loss to a tough Manual team is understandable and actually looks better to me than some other team’s wins. Nothing makes sense in the 11th so far, but I’m going to bump the Generals up to the #2 spot in this week's stock-watch. That said, two huge games loom next week.

Lexington Christian is in the #3 position after a close home loss to Catholic. Sure, they’ve lost four of their last five, but those losses have came to Trinity, Manual, Doss, and Lexington Catholic. I like the Eagles and think that Matt Rose is one of the best in the State who’ll wind up playing D1, but an underrated Drew Trimble and emerging young talents like Tre King and Kyle Rode give this Eagles team much more depth than they usually have. Some of the people in the 11th I talk to most really like this LCA team. Nate Valentine is doing big things at his program and, along with Scott Hundley, is one of the hotter young names in coaching circles.

At this point, if it weren’t obvious already, upcomoing tilts between #1 Lexington Catholic and #2 Lafayette (1/13) and #2 Lafayette and #3 LCA are going to be huge, especially given their implications for seeding in a district that will have 5 teams going to all-out war.

Bryan Station drops to #4 after losses to Lafayette and Elizabethtown in back-to-back games. The Defenders are going to have their ups and downs. If I’m an opposing coach, I’d hate to play them when they’re hot, but wouldn’t mind drawing them on a night when their guard’s shots aren’t falling. Speaking of ups-and-downs, I have to go back and add to an article I wrote on Friday to talk about the Defenders impressive 20-point win at Lincoln County.

My #5 team, Madison Central, dropped Dunbar in Richmond, winning by 3 despite 29 points from Darius Williams. Once Dontell Brown is back in the Dawg’s lineup though, things will be different. The Indians know how that goes though, as they are without Sam Jones and still have an impressive record despite that. Once their big man gets back, they could be the team to beat. It’s years like this one when you often see all the Scott County and all of the Lexington schools get the press while Coach Feldhaus quietly does his thing and takes care of business and it’s his hard-nosed squad that punches a ticket to Rupp.

#6 Henry Clay is tough to peg, but as the wins over Holmes and Tates Creek grow further in our rearview, we see them get a much needed win over Scott County. Nonetheless, losses like Covington Catholic and Eastern only pile onto losses to top teams like Bryan Station and Henderson County continue to mount, you get the sense that they’d been cooling down after a hot start. Now that I’ve said that, let’s watch them go through a stretch against Bryan Station, Dunbar, Tates Creek, and Ballard with some huge wins.

#7 Scott County’s recent loss to Oldham County and 63-49 loss at Henry Clay is enough for me to drop them for the time being. The team will regroup, but this was going to be seen as a down year for the Cards even with DJ Jenkins, so if he's lost for the season, the hurdles are even higher.

It looks like this year's rankings will be subject to weekly change, but for now, I'll leave you with this:

My Top 11 In The 11th:

1. Lexington Catholic

2. Lafayette

3. Lexington Christian Academy

4. Bryan Station

5. Madison Central* (healthy Sam Jones and they are possibly #1)

6. Henry Clay

7. Scott County

8. Dunbar

9. Woodford County

10. Tates Creek

1. Lexington Catholic

2. LCA

3. Lafayette

4. Bryan Station

5. Henry Clay

6. Scott County

7. Madison Central

8. Dunbar

9. Woodford County

10. Tates Creek

11. Sayre

12. Frankfort High

13. Franklin County

14. Madison Southern

15. Model

16. Berea

17. Western Hills

Everything is subject to change week to week as always. The top 3 all playing good basketball right now but are all susceptible to an off night or bad game. Big games this week in the city, lots of district match ups. Also, don't sleep on Woodford County after their win over Madison Central tonight. As always I just hope our poor 11th region can keep within reach of the dominant 12th!!

Lafayette played 2 nights in a row.

Your point? Catholic played several nights in a row in their tournament(though less in a row compared to every other team in that same tournament) but they were competitive . They beat Betsy Lane, Casey, Boyle and lost to Henderson. They played 4 games in 5 days and won 3 and were competitive in the last one . If Lafayette struggles playing two nights in a row then I do not see them making it far in the end.

Your point? Catholic played several nights in a row in their tournament(though less in a row compared to every other team in that same tournament) but they were competitive . They beat Betsy Lane' date=' Casey, Boyle and lost to Henderson. They played 4 games in 5 days and won 3 and were competitive in the last one . If Lafayette struggles playing two nights in a row then I do not see them making it far in the end.[/quote'] Lafayette is also a young team and had an off night against Frankfort. Catholic has had the same group since elementary school. Lafayette beat catholic?

Your point? Catholic played several nights in a row in their tournament(though less in a row compared to every other team in that same tournament) but they were competitive . They beat Betsy Lane, Casey, Boyle and lost to Henderson. They played 4 games in 5 days and won 3 and were competitive in the last one . If Lafayette struggles playing two nights in a row then I do not see them making it far in the end.

LexCath didn't play several nights in a row in their tournament. They played an easy game, took a day off, played another easy game, played another easy game and got destroyed by a better team in the finals. Your memory is different than mine.

LexCath didn't play several nights in a row in their tournament. They played an easy game' date=' took a day off, played another easy game, played another easy game and got destroyed by a better team in the finals. Your memory is different than mine.[/quote'] Catholic didn't play anyone that was very good other than Henderson in that tournament anyway