Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Inside the 15th Region (1-5-14)

Featured Replies

Overview:

 

Week 5 in the 15th Region finished with fireworks at the Pikeville EXPO Center in the All-A, a 57th District match-up between Johnson Central and Magoffin County, and one of the best players in the region leaving his team. Needless to say its been interesting. The 15th Region All-A (blind draw format) opened on Friday night with East Ridge handing Sheldon Clark their first loss of the season in a game that saw 6 ejections and a player sent to the hospital. In the game Sheldon Clark Senior G Kaleb Sturgill was cut on the head by an inadvertent elbow in the first half that required stitches at the local hospital. In the 2nd Quarter of the game Sheldon Clark Sophomore Forward Dylan James and East Ridge Senior Power Forward Austin Hylton engaged in an altercation where punches were thrown and both players ejected. During the fight, SC Senior Guard Trevor Blackburn and bench player Bradley Dalton along with East Ridge players Jacob Chaney and Cody Sayers left the bench area and were also ejected from the contest. By KHSAA rule all ejected players must sit out the next two contest (no appeal allowed). Week 5 also saw Johnson Central beat Magoffin County 70-58 (lead by as many as 23) and Timmy Dalton quit the Lawrence County Bulldogs (reason unknown). Lets see how the region breaks down after all the fireworks.

 

1. Sheldon Clark (9-1) – The Cardinals were favorites to win the 15th Region All-A Classic but fell to East Ridge in the opening round after seeing 1 starter lost to an injury (Kaleb Sturgill - stitches) and three others ejected (two starters and one reserve for fighting/leaving the bench). Dylan James, Trevor Blackburn, and Bradley Dalton will all have to sit 2 games for being ejected per KHSAA rules (Pike Central on the road January 6th and Phelps at home January 10th). Expect Chase Parsley to step up production in their absence as the Cardinals are still favored to win both games.

 

2. Johnson Central (8-7) – Johnson Central has won 4 in a row heading into week 6. Head Coach Tommy McKenzie finally got healthy just in time to see his star point guard Braxton Blair get sick. Braxton missed a big 57th District game against Magoffin County on Friday night but the Eagles were still able to pull out the win 70-58 on the road. In Week 6 JC will face Pike Central at home, East Ridge on the road, and Belfry at home (expect Blair to return for the Belfry game). Don’t look for a loss anytime soon as a tough December schedule has the Golden Eagles primed for another run to Rupp Arena and when at full strength they are the team to beat in the 15th.

 

3. Lawrence County (6-4) – Leading scorer Timmy Dalton has left the Bulldogs team (21.5 ppg) after disagreements with Head Coach Travis York (according to reports). The Bulldogs still have older brother Robert Dalton, but missed Timmy in their week 5 loss to George Rogers Clark 52-72. Without Timmy Dalton, very little bench support, and limited size the Bulldogs will be hurting come tournament time. Lets hope young Mr. Dalton and the LC staff can mend fences and get back on the winning track this week as they compete in the WYMT classic January 7th, opening with Buckhorn.

 

4. Betsy Layne (9-5) – The Bobcats opened their defense of the 15th Region All-A Classic with a win over Prestonsburg 52-36. They will next take on Piarist Tuesday night (a game they will be heavily favored in) then likely play the winner between Paintsville and Pikeville for a trip to the All-A finals. With Sheldon Clark eliminated, don’t be surprised to see Betsy Layne repeat as 15th Region All-A Champs, using their momentum from the Perry Win to hopefully propel them all the way to Frankfort.

 

5. Paintsville (9-5) – Head Coach Bill Mike Runyon has the Tigers playing much better as of late as the football players seem to be getting their basketball legs. Paintsville defeated Allen Central in the opening round of the 15th Region All-A Classic and are set to play Pikeville on Tuesday night (a team which they recently beat in the Pikeville Invitational tournament 3rd place game by a final of 75-51). Don’t be surprised to see Paintsville and Coach Runyon get their 9th 15th Region All-A crown this week.

 

Upsets in the Region:

East Ridge Defeated Sheldon Clark 70-68 in the 15th Region All-A Classic Friday, January 2nd.

South Floyd Defeated East Ridge 54-50 in the 15th Region All-A Classic Saturday, January 3rd.

 

Games to Watch in Week 6:

Lawrence County vs. Buckhorn 7 January in the WYMT Classic

Paintsville vs. Pikeville 6 January in the 15th Region All-A Classic

Shelby Valley vs. Betsy Layne in the 15th Region All-A Classic

 

Agree or Disagree?

  • Author

Could a moderator please change the year in the title from '14 to '15? Im still stuck in the past it seems. Thank you in advance.

I'm not sure how Sheldon Clark

holds on to the top spot but looks good.

  • Author

How do you have them thus far? Would you swap JC and SC or move LC to the top?

How do you have them thus far? Would you swap JC and SC or move LC to the top?

 

Actually, after taking a closer look, I guess Sheldon Clark holds the top spot even after a loss. Maybe flip them and Johnson Central but they are clearly the top 2 I guess. That's a weak region from top to bottom.

  • Author

If given the right draw I believe JC or SC can win a game at state but overall the 15th is down I agree.

If given the right draw I believe JC or SC can win a game at state but overall the 15th is down I agree.

 

Yeah, if they happen to draw the 16th.

  • Author

1st 4th 13th 16th would be good draws

1st 4th 13th 16th would be good draws

 

I think Johnson Central will end up going to the state. Not sure they could beat anyone though. 15th is in the weakest in the state I believe. Rowan co has already beaten JC by 12. And Boyd county looks to be better than Rowan. I know JC was not fully healthy, but of all of the regions I believe the 15th is the weakest. 16th isn't much better though.

I think Johnson Central will end up going to the state. Not sure they could beat anyone though. 15th is in the weakest in the state I believe. Rowan co has already beaten JC by 12. And Boyd county looks to be better than Rowan. I know JC was not fully healthy, but of all of the regions I believe the 15th is the weakest. 16th isn't much better though.

 

JC is a lot better than they showed against Rowan Co.

 

15th is stronger top to bottom than the 16th and the 14th outside of Knott. Co.

  • Author
I think Johnson Central will end up going to the state. NJNot sure they could beat anyone though. 15th is in the weakest in the state I believe. Rowan co has already beaten JC by 12. And Boyd county looks to be better than Rowan. I know JC was not fully healthy, but of all of the regions I believe the 15th is the weakest. 16th isn't much better though.

 

JC beat Boyd by 37 in one of their scrimmages when healthy. Missing three starters they had Rowan down 7 to start the 4th before going 1 for 18. JC is really good when healthy and having Kyle Gullett back makes a huge difference. 16th is the weakest region.

Good read. I might drop LC a bit now with the loss of T. Dalton.

I think 15th and 16th are clearly the weakest regions in the state.

I think Johnson Central will end up going to the state. Not sure they could beat anyone though. 15th is in the weakest in the state I believe. Rowan co has already beaten JC by 12. And Boyd county looks to be better than Rowan. I know JC was not fully healthy, but of all of the regions I believe the 15th is the weakest. 16th isn't much better though.

I know Boyd beat Rowan but I really don't think they're the better basketball team and I look for the Vikings to represent the 16th at Rupp in March.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.