Best 10th Region Game....Ever...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going way back to last year when fans were crammed into the Igloo for Augusta vs. Mason County in the 39th district semifinal. The intrigue surrounding this game made it so huge. The two squads met in December and the Royals handed Augusta a 86-69 loss as they got some redemption for the previous year's loss in the district tournament at the Fieldhouse when Augusta beat the Royals for the first time ever, 72-61. Can't not mention the 2012 district final at the Igloo between the two when Brent Bach's floater in the lane sat on the front of the rim for what felt like forever and rolled off giving the Royals a 72-71 win. So it went from, wow, they almost did it ('12) to OMG Augusta beat Mason County ('13) to there's no way they could do it again ('14)!! Mason County was 21-5 coming into the game carrying predictions of another region run. Augusta was 18-10 having played a strong schedule to prepare them for the postseason. I don't know what the attendance record is for the Igloo but it had to be challenged on this night. The Royals led 13-6 after the 1st quarter. Then Augusta closed the deficit with a 17-11 2nd quarter to make it 24-23 Royals at the break. I don't recall how many ties and lead changes there were but it was an absolute battle from that point on. Brent Bach had only scored 14 points in the first half and in the 3rd and 4th quarters plus overtime he would drop in 34 of Augusta's 38 points including late free throws that tied the game then put Augusta ahead and gave them the win, 61-60. You could also see this game in a best individual performance thread. So many people have called it one of the best they have ever seen. A big part of the excitement of this one was watching to see what Bach would do next. Mason County seemed to throw every possible defense at him and he just could not be stopped. It was easily one of the most exciting games I've ever been a part of. If you want to relive any of Augusta's late game heroics search "augusta beats mason" on youtube. If you're a Panther fan, you just might get goosebumps.

Listened to the radio podcast of this game several times after the game.

I'm going way back to last year when fans were crammed into the Igloo for Augusta vs. Mason County in the 39th district semifinal. The intrigue surrounding this game made it so huge. The two squads met in December and the Royals handed Augusta a 86-69 loss as they got some redemption for the previous year's loss in the district tournament at the Fieldhouse when Augusta beat the Royals for the first time ever, 72-61. Can't not mention the 2012 district final at the Igloo between the two when Brent Bach's floater in the lane sat on the front of the rim for what felt like forever and rolled off giving the Royals a 72-71 win. So it went from, wow, they almost did it ('12) to OMG Augusta beat Mason County ('13) to there's no way they could do it again ('14)!! Mason County was 21-5 coming into the game carrying predictions of another region run. Augusta was 18-10 having played a strong schedule to prepare them for the postseason. I don't know what the attendance record is for the Igloo but it had to be challenged on this night. The Royals led 13-6 after the 1st quarter. Then Augusta closed the deficit with a 17-11 2nd quarter to make it 24-23 Royals at the break. I don't recall how many ties and lead changes there were but it was an absolute battle from that point on. Brent Bach had only scored 14 points in the first half and in the 3rd and 4th quarters plus overtime he would drop in 34 of Augusta's 38 points including late free throws that tied the game then put Augusta ahead and gave them the win, 61-60. You could also see this game in a best individual performance thread. So many people have called it one of the best they have ever seen. A big part of the excitement of this one was watching to see what Bach would do next. Mason County seemed to throw every possible defense at him and he just could not be stopped. It was easily one of the most exciting games I've ever been a part of. If you want to relive any of Augusta's late game heroics search "augusta beats mason" on youtube. If you're a Panther fan, you just might get goosebumps.

Just went back and watched. Thanks for the reminder.