Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NYPD Police Brutality Claims $$

Featured Replies

On another note regarding the settlements paid out by the NYPD: does anyone know where that money comes from? Is it just part of the budget?

But don't you think that the cost of the body cams would be offset by the reduction in claims or lower insurance costs?

 

I also agree with what JD said about legislation being needed in regards to the video records. That is something I never considered happening.

 

You aren't getting what I'm saying. Most departments aren't getting sued to the tune of $735 million.

On another note regarding the settlements paid out by the NYPD: does anyone know where that money comes from? Is it just part of the budget?

 

I would bet that it is paid by the cities insurance carrier. Once it gets to Insurance carrier they will look at the most cost effective way to close the claim...in most cases they will pay out a small amount to avoid high legal bills connected to going to court.

 

Look at the Pulaski Jailers issues, 2 women so far have received settlements from the counties insurance carrier of around $135,000 each as it would have probably cost much more than that to attempt to defend him in a trial. BTW there is one more pending case against him that will settle soon or go to trial.

I would bet that it is paid by the cities insurance carrier. Once it gets to Insurance carrier they will look at the most cost effective way to close the claim...in most cases they will pay out a small amount to avoid high legal bills connected to going to court.

 

Look at the Pulaski Jailers issues, 2 women so far have received settlements from the counties insurance carrier of around $135,000 each as it would have probably cost much more than that to attempt to defend him in a trial. BTW there is one more pending case against him that will settle soon or go to trial.

 

 

My first thought is that would be the case. However, what insurance company would carry them? If they did what would the premium have be to be able to pay out 3/4 of a billion dollars?

You aren't getting what I'm saying. Most departments aren't getting sued to the tune of $735 million.

 

No, I get what you are saying. But it would be proportional. They would need less cameras. Just one or two avoided lawsuits or a moderate reduction of the insurance premium could offset the cost. I'm not saying that the departments should find the money, I would think it would be worth it for the local government agencies to budget money for them. It just seems like it would be a good investment.

My first thought is that would be the case. However, what insurance company would carry them? If they did what would the premium have be to be able to pay out 3/4 of a billion dollars?

 

My guess is that New York City is likely self insured. If they have insurance it is more than likely that it is a umbrella policy that would only kick in if a claim exceeds a fairly high threshold.

My first thought is that would be the case. However, what insurance company would carry them? If they did what would the premium have be to be able to pay out 3/4 of a billion dollars?

 

I would think by state law they would have to be insured...maybe smaller settlements are paid out of the $4.7 Billion budget that they have, but I'd bet there is a policy to cover large settlements.

I would think by state law they would have to be insured...maybe smaller settlements are paid out of the $4.7 Billion budget that they have, but I'd bet there is a policy to cover large settlements.

 

Can you imagine the premium on that policy?

NYC Budget is around $70 Billion per year, I'm sure as said earlier it's an umbrella policy that covers all city operations.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.