Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Regional Tournament

Featured Replies

What about the one(s) canceled because of too much rain and questionable field conditions. :sssh:

 

Still can't believe the games were played on Boone and Grant's fields... horrendous conditions

  • Replies 34
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had not heard about the conditions at Grant Co... I can tell you that I would have classified Boone's field as unplayable.

 

They played both the boys and girls finals there this past Thursday and it was a mess. I think when you see the Center Ref struggling to keep his footing, you probably have a pretty good case to move the matches, or at least wait another day.

As I mentioned to Yellow Card at the Boone-Cooper game, soccer was invented before artificial turf. It was meant to be played outside in such conditions. Think of England's weather. We all would prefer to have a dry, top condition field but it can't always be.

I remember you pointing this out the other night, a very good point...

 

I think from this point forward, the majority of the matches will be played on the artificial stuff.

Your probably right if the parents aren't in attendance that should cut down the whining. Then the boys can play some soccer.

 

The only whining that truly affects the game is when it's done on the field. Flopping, along with hacking have a big negative effect, as well.

 

Refs have a far greater impact than whining from the stands. When the ref makes bad calls and misses infractions by the other team the boys begin to take matters into their own hands and get even. This is when it gets ugly.

 

When the refs are making good calls (we understand everyone makes mistakes) and the calls are consistent throughout the game and from one team to the other, that's when the kids can play soccer and it is enjoyable to watch and the outcome is decided by the play on the field.

I had not heard about the conditions at Grant Co... I can tell you that I would have classified Boone's field as unplayable.

 

They played both the boys and girls finals there this past Thursday and it was a mess. I think when you see the Center Ref struggling to keep his footing, you probably have a pretty good case to move the matches, or at least wait another day.

 

I do agree with your perspective. Those conditions were horrible and made it difficult for the players to control their own bodies regarding stopping, starting, etc. I would prefer a dry field so all the players can use every bit of their skill, speed, and finesse.

 

It was also hard to tell when the ball would skip on a layer of water or stick in the mud instead of rolling.

The only whining that truly affects the game is when it's done on the field. Flopping, along with hacking have a big negative effect, as well.

 

Refs have a far greater impact than whining from the stands. When the ref makes bad calls and misses infractions by the other team the boys begin to take matters into their own hands and get even. This is when it gets ugly.

 

When the refs are making good calls (we understand everyone makes mistakes) and the calls are consistent throughout the game and from one team to the other, that's when the kids can play soccer and it is enjoyable to watch and the outcome is decided by the play on the field.

 

Oldgrappler. I get your point and I 100% agree with you. As for the comment above it was just a joke.

As I mentioned to Yellow Card at the Boone-Cooper game, soccer was invented before artificial turf. It was meant to be played outside in such conditions. Think of England's weather. We all would prefer to have a dry, top condition field but it can't always be.

 

Good point but in England they have soccer fields not football fields with crowns and poor drainage. Heck, their drainage is so good they water it before the game and at half time while it's raining.

I had not heard about the conditions at Grant Co... I can tell you that I would have classified Boone's field as unplayable.

 

They played both the boys and girls finals there this past Thursday and it was a mess. I think when you see the Center Ref struggling to keep his footing, you probably have a pretty good case to move the matches, or at least wait another day.

 

The field at Grant was worse than Boone's field. Feet were sinking in to the mud. It was a miserable evening. Cold, wet, rainy. Grant allowed a goal due the keeper's feet sliding our from under him as he reacted to the shot.

As I mentioned to Yellow Card at the Boone-Cooper game, soccer was invented before artificial turf. It was meant to be played outside in such conditions. Think of England's weather. We all would prefer to have a dry, top condition field but it can't always be.

 

But it was invented to be played on a pitch that isn't torn up in the middle by football.......not futbal.

I see your point. To hear the football coach talk about the field, you'd think it was the soccer team's fault that the field is torn up. ;)

 

I wonder what the pitches were like 100 years ago in England...

 

CenterRef: Sorry, I misread your previous comment. How did I miss that? Perhaps it's your handle that through me off. Well, here's my delayed laugh :D

I'm always surprised how ratty the field looks when a League One (third division) team makes a deep run in the FA Cup and gets to host in January/Feb. I bet their school boy leagues are played on some pretty wet and worn fields. We're spoiled around this area with the number of turf fields available for play compared to lots of other areas. No doubt a nice sole-purpose, full-sized grass field is preferable. How many of those do we have even under good weather conditions? St Henry... any others?

I'm always surprised how ratty the field looks when a League One (third division) team makes a deep run in the FA Cup and gets to host in January/Feb. I bet their school boy leagues are played on some pretty wet and worn fields. We're spoiled around this area with the number of turf fields available for play compared to lots of other areas. No doubt a nice sole-purpose, full-sized grass field is preferable. How many of those do we have even under good weather conditions? St Henry... any others?

That's because 3rd division teams in England just don't really matter. The weaker teams in England/Europe don't have the massive budget that the 1st division teams have. Hence the field conditions are not great. But I can pretty much guarantee that the school boy league fields are a whole lot better than even the good ones here.

I'm always surprised how ratty the field looks when a League One (third division) team makes a deep run in the FA Cup and gets to host in January/Feb. I bet their school boy leagues are played on some pretty wet and worn fields. We're spoiled around this area with the number of turf fields available for play compared to lots of other areas. No doubt a nice sole-purpose, full-sized grass field is preferable. How many of those do we have even under good weather conditions? St Henry... any others?

 

Not any around here in NKY besides St Henry. The two times I've seen it this year I was surprised how long they kept the grass. You'd have to do some traveling down 71 and 75 to find some good ones.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.