2014 MSFB State Championship Brackets

plantmanky

IMO, they wouldn't, NKY MS football is way behind the rest of the state.

I haven't seen the other middle school teams outside of NKY aside from a team or two in some scrimmages. I think if you could somehow classify middle school like high school I think some teams could compete. Covington Catholic and Campbell County from a few years ago come to mind. But for the most part, I don't think NKY would do well. The large schools for the most part I think would struggle for a couple of reasons. SK gets fed by two different middle schools and still has a strong youth program in the NKYFL, which dilutes the talent significantly at the middle school level. Throughout NKY, there are still many kids that do play in the NKYFL (Bengal Tigers have kids that will go to Scott and Holmes, SK Lions to SK, Spartans to Beechwood/Dixie, Erlanger Lions to Lloyd/Dixie, etc). This lessens the talent pool available to the middle schools, but helps develop depth at the high school level, which is why the High School teams aren't as far behind. The NKMSAA also has weight limits for ball carriers/skill positions, doesn't allow blitzing/multiple schemes on defense, and forces teams to declare an offense in the beginning of the season. These rules, while I think are helpful in developing kids (you can focus on basics on offense, and develop read/react skills on defense), those rules limit the ability of the NKY teams to compete if they were to play teams that aren't bound by those rules.

I think the biggest reason the NKY schools don't participate are the travel issues. Not all of the schools provide transportation (although some of the independent/private schools do). Most also have to share fields with the high school teams who share with soccer (boys and girls) which could create scheduling problems. As it stands now, each team gets hosts just a couple home games with up to 4 other games scheduled on that same day which reduces conflicts.

IMO, they wouldn't, NKY MS football is way behind the rest of the state.

If NKY football is way behind the teams that are playing in this "state championshp" it is amazing how much ground we make up in a few years :D

With that siad, I get why teams would want play in for a state MS champtionship. You take out all of the NKY teams, the Lousiville teams, and most of the other state powers (looks like BG competes) - winning a "state championship" becomes a lot easier. Correct me if I am wrong plantmanky. :D

If NKY football is way behind the teams that are playing in this "state championshp" it is amazing how much ground we make up in a few years :D

With that siad, I get why teams would want play in for a state MS champtionship. You take out all of the NKY teams, the Lousiville teams, and most of the other state powers (looks like BG competes) - winning a "state championship" becomes a lot easier. Correct me if I am wrong plantmanky. :D

All of the Louisville teams are in, so the only large group missing is NKY and Fayette Co.