Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is football to blame for NFL players behavior?

Featured Replies

  • Author
By the time you graduate high school, you've taken thousands of hits. If this were truly a football issue, why don't we hear about high school football players beating on their girlfriends?

 

 

Because their daddy would take them outside and beat them with a switch if they did it. :lol2:

 

Those hits are much harder and more intense in college and beyond. Also more frequent. The body can only take so much abuse.

  • Replies 34
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
I've heard that the arrest rate in the NFL is actually lower than that of the population in general. Joe NFL player hits his wife, it's news. When Joe Normal guy down the street hits his wife, no one hears about it. Whenever you are in the spotlight, whatever you do, good or bad, gets magnified.

 

If it were true that football was making them violent then I'd need to see evidence that domestic violence is more common among football players than in the general population... I don't believe that evidence exists and it's probably pretty close to the national average. We just don't hear about the countless other incidents that happen every day.

 

I mentioned that in the first post.

 

How come we don't have these domestic violent incidents in other sports? Coincidence? Media conspiracy?

Because their daddy would take them outside and beat them with a switch if they did it. :lol2:

 

Those hits are much harder and more intense in college and beyond. Also more frequent. The body can only take so much abuse.

 

Let's see some numbers that Getslow alluded to in his last post, and then we can talk about football being the issue.

  • Author
Let's see some numbers that Getslow alluded to in his last post, and then we can talk about football being the issue.

 

 

See the first post. I'm simply searching for answers and asking questions.

I mentioned that in the first post.

 

How come we don't have these domestic violent incidents in other sports? Coincidence? Media conspiracy?

 

I think the way the league handled it made it bigger news... and almost never is there a videotape of the incident which is what made the Rice story EXPLODE. Everything else has followed that and been pumped up as a story because of it.

  • Author

 

This is citing MLB's failure to do the right thing concerning domestic violence. We have numbers for the NFL players. This doesn't prove it is happening more in baseball. It just proves they suck at handling the issue as well. Kirby Puckett is long gone. Anything more recent?

 

Ironically baseball and football are the two sports most tainted by PEDs.

  • Author
I think the way the league handled it made it bigger news... and almost never is there a videotape of the incident which is what made the Rice story EXPLODE. Everything else has followed that and been pumped up as a story because of it.

 

 

I do agree. Without the video to visualize the abuse it would be business as usual and we'd all continue to ignore the problem until it happens to our mom, sister or daughter.

I wonder how may of these guys that engage in criminal behavior had positive paternal role models and relationships in place? I believe the NFL needs a mentoring program in place where it hires retired players to council and metor players coming into the league. It just seems some many of these guys come from tormented backgrounds that make it difficult to function socially.

This is citing MLB's failure to do the right thing concerning domestic violence. We have numbers for the NFL players. This doesn't prove it is happening more in baseball. It just proves they suck at handling the issue as well. Kirby Puckett is long gone. Anything more recent?

 

Ironically baseball and football are the two sports most tainted by PEDs.

 

There's nothing to prove that football is the problem. The only numbers that have been discussed actually show domestic violence is less of a problem in professional football.

  • Author
I wonder how may of these guys that engage in criminal behavior had positive paternal role models and relationships in place? I believe the NFL needs a mentoring program in place where it hires retired players to council and metor players coming into the league. It just seems some many of these guys come from tormented backgrounds that make it difficult to function socially.

 

I can see that point although I would think at least one coach somewhere at some point has served that role. I think a mandatory monthly visit with a therapist or counselor is a positive for the team and player. With all of the money these teams and the league makes off of the players they need to do a much better job of taking care of their mental health.

  • Author
There's nothing to prove that football is the problem. The only numbers that have been discussed actually show domestic violence is less of a problem in professional football.

 

Those numbers compare it to scoiety. Not to other sports. I'd like to see the numbers compared to other sports. And I'm talking all violent crimes and not necessarily just domestic violence.

Ironically baseball and football are the two sports most tainted by PEDs.

 

This is an angle that I think may have more to do with it than the sport played itself... You can find guys in your local gym that are roided out and act as irrational as they come. What causes them to be that way? The drugs.

  • Author
This is an angle that I think may have more to do with it than the sport played itself... You can find guys in your local gym that are roided out and act as irrational as they come. What causes them to be that way? The drugs.

 

 

No doubt. And that behavior is something you wouldn't believe until you witness it.:eek:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.