Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Common Core In Action - Solving Difficult Math Problems

Featured Replies

  • Replies 63
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
More nonsense math from common core:

 

commoncore-620x826.jpg

 

This one actually makes a bit more sense to me than the others. Still slower than just, you know, doing it, but I can see logic in this one. Better than the 9 + 6 example.

 

I don't remember anymore whether I was taught this method or if it was just logic, but I do not understand why a more effective way of doing 325-38 wouldn't be to simply remove 25 from the 38 to make it 300 - 13 and then go from there? That feels pretty similar to their method. Heck, get them to their friend 10 at the end by taking 3 from 300 to make it 297-10.

Some of what is part of CC math is just 'short-cuts'. Anyone who does enough math will develop the shortcuts naturally. Like tipping - 15%-18% is your target usually. Take total bill and take 10% - oh that is simply moving decimal one place. Then take 50% or half of that - and finally add together and bingo - you have your tip without knowing or using percentages at all. BTW, that will result in a greater than 15% tip since tax is in the total and usually not to be tipped on. So leaving the tax in helps round it up.

 

 

For the above I would this shortcut:

 

Original 325-38 = ?

 

Get to nearest 100s resulting in this modified equation:

 

(325-25) - (38-25) =

 

300 - 13 =

 

Now get to nearest 10

 

(300-10) - (13-10)

 

290 - 3

 

Now its real easy - 287.

 

No carries, no columns....

 

The thing is these are all just shortcuts (using acceptable math methods). Its really more advanced algebra - and understand the underlying rules should be part of the learning or understanding - not just showing some 'neat tricks'.

 

Didn't read far enough to see that you had posted basically the same thing. I agree, it's all about shortcuts. My 8th Grade algebra teacher taught me more than any math teacher I ever had and it was all about shortcuts that helped you get there rapidly. Which enables you to do a great many problems in your head.

  • Author
After the leftists are successful in teaching our children to be non-linear thinkers, they'll use same tactics in areas such as economics and political science.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone on this site knew you'd be a fan. BTW, didn't you mean indoctrinate? :cool:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone on this site knew you'd be a fan. BTW, didn't you mean indoctrinate? :cool:

I think it's both humorous -- and not so humorous -- when the over-50 Republicans take aim at Common Core because they don't get it. Who cares if it's helping districts like Covington and Jefferson County public become more successful.

  • Author

As Louis C.K. pointed out, the problems and problem solving is nonsensical and frustrates kids as well as parents. Like he said,'Come on, just look at the problems. Bill has three goldfish. He buys two more. How many dogs live in London?'

 

I know he's a comedian, but the guy is right.

I think it's both humorous -- and not so humorous -- when the over-50 Republicans take aim at Common Core because they don't get it. Who cares if it's helping districts like Covington and Jefferson County public become more successful.

 

Well under 50, not a Republican, and I do get it. It's still utterly pointless.

  • Author

I have a feeling that because of Common Core, we're going to see a lot more kids getting Ritalin and other psychotropic drugs crammed down their throats. Not a good thing. :no:

(In response to post 37): You just reinforced my point. It's utterly pointless to you ... but it's obviously made a difference in some urban districts. (Read the story I linked to in post 31.)

  • Author
You just reinforced my point. It's utterly pointless to you ... but it's obviously made a difference in some urban districts. (Read the story I linked to in post 31.)
Parent's make a difference in some urban districts. As in getting involved with their kids. The biggest problem with kids not learning is parents.
(In response to post 37): You just reinforced my point. It's utterly pointless to you ... but it's obviously made a difference in some urban districts. (Read the story I linked to in post 31.)

 

No, it's utterly pointless for real world use. Companies and employers are results oriented. They care about the solution to the problem, not how you get there.

Parent's make a difference in some urban districts. As in getting involved with their kids. The biggest problem with kids not learning is parents.

I agree. If parents don't value education, their children likely won't either. Huge problem in some school districts.

 

With CC we actually have some evidence that it's yielding positive results in urban districts, and the chief argument of those opposing it is: "I don't like it."

I think it's both humorous -- and not so humorous -- when the over-50 Republicans take aim at Common Core because they don't get it. Who cares if it's helping districts like Covington and Jefferson County public become more successful.

I think it's funny you have to drag politics into everything. But sense you did, I know democrat liberal teachers that absolutely hate it.

Some of what is part of CC math is just 'short-cuts'. Anyone who does enough math will develop the shortcuts naturally. Like tipping - 15%-18% is your target usually. Take total bill and take 10% - oh that is simply moving decimal one place. Then take 50% or half of that - and finally add together and bingo - you have your tip without knowing or using percentages at all. BTW, that will result in a greater than 15% tip since tax is in the total and usually not to be tipped on. So leaving the tax in helps round it up.

 

 

For the above I would this shortcut:

 

Original 325-38 = ?

 

Get to nearest 100s resulting in this modified equation:

 

(325-25) - (38-25) =

 

300 - 13 =

 

Now get to nearest 10

 

(300-10) - (13-10)

 

290 - 3

 

Now its real easy - 287.

 

No carries, no columns....

 

The thing is these are all just shortcuts (using acceptable math methods). Its really more advanced algebra - and understand the underlying rules should be part of the learning or understanding - not just showing some 'neat tricks'.

How is this a short cut? Shortcut means quicker/easier. How is your example either?

 

325-38 is not any harder or different then 38-25

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.