Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

St. Henry 2 Lexington Catholic 0 (Boys)

Featured Replies

Good physical game with St. Henry in the driving seat for most of the game. Some yellow cards issued to both teams, mainly for dissent. Goals by Lannon and Green, assist by Stambaugh.

  • Replies 35
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice win for the Cru!

Shout out to the loud and energetic Cru student section cheering on their friends.

 

Also a nice touch by Cru parents for providing a "sack lunch" for each Lex Cath player for their bus ride home.

Wondering what the "official" definition of an assist is. It seemed to be that there should have been an assist on the second St Henry goal but one wasn't credited. Just when I think I have things figured out! Nice win for the Cru tonight hopefully things are beginning to come together for them, they are much more talented than their early results have shown.

Wondering what the "official" definition of an assist is. It seemed to be that there should have been an assist on the second St Henry goal but one wasn't credited. Just when I think I have things figured out! Nice win for the Cru tonight hopefully things are beginning to come together for them, they are much more talented than their early results have shown.

Alex Greene's goal was off of an assist by Austin Langen.

Alex Greene's goal was off of an assist by Austin Langen.

 

I am not sure that either goal technically had an assist. The Lannon goal involved a pass to him which he then dribbled, lifted over a defender, then lifted again over the keeper for the goal.

 

The Green goal was initially passed by Langen, but was headed by a Lex Cath player and was going to be an own goal if Green didn't touch it at the goal mouth.

 

Good game last night for the Cru. I think that the change in formation helped them. They looked much improved over the past few games, but still have plenty of work to do to get where they need to be. Still need to improve the activity level, improve communication, and cut down on the random kicks with no idea where they are going. They created a lot of chances to score last night, but need to cash in more frequently. Defense looked better most of the night.

I'd guess that the assist stat is one of the most over reported stats in high school soccer, especially by certain teams overly concerned with stats who shall remain nameless.

 

A goal scored after gaining possession from a defender would not have an assist if the LexCath player headed it. The other goal depends on where Lannon received the ball. If he was passed the ball in close proximity to the goal, beat a defender and then scored it would be an assist if the pass directly lead to the goal. If he dribbled 30 yards.......unassisted goal I'd think. I think a lot of teams assume that every goal must have an assist to go with it, which is why high school stats should be viewed with caution.

I don't disagree with your assist analysis, but even dribbling 30 yards or more could still involve an assist. I through-ball beating a defender near midfield would still be an assist even if the scorer carried the ball 30-40 yards prior to taking the shot.

I don't disagree with your assist analysis, but even dribbling 30 yards or more could still involve an assist. I through-ball beating a defender near midfield would still be an assist even if the scorer carried the ball 30-40 yards prior to taking the shot.

 

Agree on that, but was more referring to a player receiving a ball from a pass at midfield.........dribbling 30 yards..........beating a defender or two and scoring, that is unassisted in my opinion. Assists, like recording and error vs. hit in baseball, is in the eye of the scorekeeper many times. I believe a lot of high school stats are kept by some kid's parent in the stands, which leads to inflated stats.

Congrats to St H......Go NKY Soccer.

 

Have found the Lex Cath fans to be very classy.......Hopefully, you did also.

Agree on that, but was more referring to a player receiving a ball from a pass at midfield.........dribbling 30 yards..........beating a defender or two and scoring, that is unassisted in my opinion. Assists, like recording and error vs. hit in baseball, is in the eye of the scorekeeper many times. I believe a lot of high school stats are kept by some kid's parent in the stands, which leads to inflated stats

 

I need to do some digging, I saw a soccer stat line recently in which the number of assists was greater than the number of goals. :idunno: I thought this could only happen in ice hockey.

Edited by hoops5
Fixed quote tags

Some teams give two assists per goal if it is bang bang......not saying it is right....just reporting in....

 

And I agree.....assists are over inflated. I always thought that if the goal scorer took more than two touches, the passer lost the assist.

Some teams give two assists per goal if it is bang bang......not saying it is right....just reporting in....

 

And I agree.....assists are over inflated. I always thought that if the goal scorer took more than two touches, the passer lost the assist.

 

This is correct. There can be two assists on a goal. Bang-Bang play with a couple one-touch passes or maybe a corner kick that is played into the box..........headed by one player to another play who puts it in the net. Two assists on one goal.

Then more assists than goals could be accurate.

 

Yes, but I think the situations like that are pretty rare. What you get more of in high school soccer is something like:

 

Billy boots the ball down the field from his defensive spot..........at some point in the near future after the ball has bounced around a bit, Johnny scores a goal. Billy's mom, who is keeping the all-important stats for the team, records an assist for Billy. Upon returning home, she immediately logs onto bluegrasspreps.com and tells everyone that Billy had yet another assist.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.