Covington Catholic 3 Campbell County 2 (Boys)

I was discussing this last night with some parents from CC, they are currently planning on playing all of their matches on Turf. Many of the CC faithful are not sure why the grass field is not being used, it is in great shape and I also feel that it makes for a much better soccer match.

I was discussing this last night with some parents from CC, they are currently planning on playing all of their matches on Turf. Many of the CC faithful are not sure why the grass field is not being used, it is in great shape and I also feel that it makes for a much better soccer match.

I'd have to disagree. If this is the same grass field they used to always use it is too narrow and was not in great shape. The grass may be better but if you can use a larger field closer to regulation I'd use that too.

It was in nice shape when I looked at it last week, not sure about the size though, it did not seem much narrower than the turf field. I task you with getting some measurements on Thursday and reporting back... :)

I'll get comparison stats on each field but I'd guess the turf is a good 10-15 yards wider, if not 20.

The grass is not being used anymore besides for practice and a band practice field.

So we should probably plan on pushing game times back an hour or so because of the heat?

The game is at 6:30 tomorrow. I am assuming the heat index should be fine. Soccer can play up to 104, only thing is they will need to have a water break at the 30 minute mark.

It appears that CCH thought they were coming to Campbell County for a scrimmage game and they brought a lot of knives to what turned out to be a gun fight. I think they had 5 JV players on the squad and a lot of backups as well on the field. Once they realized they were in an actual game they could not turn on the switch and get it back. Campbell got a blooper goal from about 35 yards that just floated over the CCH keeper's head and then another off of a corner about 6-7 minutes later and suddenly it was 2-0. Both goals should have been easy stops/clears. 3 shots on goal in the first half and two scores.

Offensively the Colonels were pathetic. They have regressed a little in each of the three regular season games. They were lucky to scratch out three goals, one of which may have been an own goal, to win the game. Campbell played with 10 behind the ball most of the night and packed it in. Many times they had their entire team in their penalty area, which is no fun to watch but kept CCH from scoring. Still, a lot of point blank misses and just poor execution. With Elder on Tuesday it's not a good way to end the week.

Hats off to CC, excellent game plan by the coach and execution by their players. As GP mentioned, goal one was a floater from 30 yards that the CCH keep misplayed because he was out of position. Goal 2 was a headball off a cross. Should it have been cleared, imo yes. Two sub cch players thought the other had it...assuming, so no one got it. CC player buried it.

I think CCH learned a lot this game. As mentioned, they faced 9 or 10 in the box all night, and I think they learned who knew how to play against that and who didn't.......instead of crosses and reversals, there were way too many "dribble straight ahead into 2 or 3 defenders."

Agree with GP on the finishing. I can count at least 4 point blank opportunities where the ball sailed off target or directly at the keeper. Have a feeling CCH is having headball practice this morning.

I consider this a tie........hate own goals.....lucky to have a W in the book.....

Again.....nice game plan by CC .......Learning experience for CCH.