Competition Committee announces new rule, bylaw proposals

The NFL Competition Committee announced 13 new rule proposals, seven new bylaw proposals and one proposed resolution on a conference call on Wednesday. The NFL’s owners will vote at next week’s league meeting on the potential changes, which we detail below.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/19/competition-committee-announces-new-rule-bylaw-proposals/

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

Because it's unnecessary. Why create an artificial construct to determine a winner when we have a perfectly good game already pre-packaged?

You have one hour to put more points on the board than the other team. It's a nice, set limit. The even number of halves enable us to give each team the ball to start one half. The 60 minutes is a nice round number. It's great.

If at the end of 60 minutes, neither team has more points than the other, then neither team has earned a win. They don't deserve the honor of having their win count the same as a team capable of doing it in the time allotted. Take your draw and get off the field.

Because it's unnecessary. Why create an artificial construct to determine a winner when we have a perfectly good game already pre-packaged?

You have one hour to put more points on the board than the other team. It's a nice, set limit. The even number of halves enable us to give each team the ball to start one half. The 60 minutes is a nice round number. It's great.

If at the end of 60 minutes, neither team has more points than the other, then neither team has earned a win. They don't deserve the honor of having their win count the same as a team capable of doing it in the time allotted. Take your draw and get off the field.

Feel the same way about baseball? How about basketball?

Feel the same way about baseball? How about basketball?

The best thing baseball could do at this point is shorten the game to six innings. Extra-inning baseball is not something that excites me.

Basketball overtime is enjoyable, but it isn't necessary. The philosophical premise holds: you've been given 40 -- or 48 -- minutes to get a win. Why should your win that took extra time count as the same as a team that won in normal time? Same goes for the loser. Why should the team that did not lose in the allotted time be given the same functional result as a team that got blown out by 35?

The best thing baseball could do at this point is shorten the game to six innings. Extra-inning baseball is not something that excites me.

Basketball overtime is enjoyable, but it isn't necessary. The philosophical premise holds: you've been given 40 -- or 48 -- minutes to get a win. Why should your win that took extra time count as the same as a team that won in normal time? Same goes for the loser. Why should the team that did not lose in the allotted time be given the same functional result as a team that got blown out by 35?

I keep forgetting you're the un-American fella that enjoys hockey and soccer. You can take your ties back to Europe where they belong. :D

I keep forgetting you're the un-American fella that enjoys hockey and soccer. You can take your ties back to Europe where they belong. :D

:lol2:

I definitely realize I'm fighting an uphill battle here; the rules for overtime already exist in football and have existed for a long time, so changing them is a tough proposition.

But honestly, why does a regular season game need to have a winner? In the postseason, sure, someone has to win the title. But why do we need to play an extra 15 minutes on a Sunday afternoon in early October to determine whether Cleveland or Jacksonville is slightly less terrible than the other?

Because it's unnecessary. Why create an artificial construct to determine a winner when we have a perfectly good game already pre-packaged? You have one hour to put more points on the board than the other team. It's a nice' date=' set limit. The even number of halves enable us to give each team the ball to start one half. The 60 minutes is a nice round number. It's great. If at the end of 60 minutes, neither team has more points than the other, then neither team has earned a win. They don't deserve the honor of having their win count the same as a team capable of doing it in the time allotted. Take your draw and get off the field.[/quote']

It's an odd way of looking at it but is disagree. Two evenly matched teams playing to a tie in regulation doesn't mean one doesn't deserve to be the winner.

Ties are stupid IMO. I don't even like them if it's still tied after one OT but I understand it. The game is meant to be played until a winner is determined.

1. Move the kickoff to the 40-yard line. If they are going to do this...why even have them? Just start the ball at the 20. Going to make it hard for Devin Hester to find a new team (if he's still looking).

Then no more comeback possibilities since the onside kick would be gone...

:lol2:

I definitely realize I'm fighting an uphill battle here; the rules for overtime already exist in football and have existed for a long time, so changing them is a tough proposition.

But honestly, why does a regular season game need to have a winner? In the postseason, sure, someone has to win the title. But why do we need to play an extra 15 minutes on a Sunday afternoon in early October to determine whether Cleveland or Jacksonville is slightly less terrible than the other?

Because tying is like kissing your sister, and in this country we don't roll like that (West Virginia excluded)!

Seriously though, there's nothing good that comes from a tie....It's a gigantic waste of time, energy, and money (on the fans part).