Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AAU Coach Attacks Parent

Featured Replies

  • Author

He was arrested.

Good gosh. Wonder if this was one of his own parents or the other team? Not that is matters, just that the article was very non-descript. Seems this kind of thing is getting more typical...it's freaking crazy.

 

And is there anyone else here who thinks 3rd grade is too young for AAU ball? And let me add for those that don't know me, I coach basketball and have had young summer travel teams in the 5/6 grade age range, which is young enough as it is. Just seems to me once you get younger than that...I don't know, just seems awfully young, and I know that they go even younger than that.

Good gosh. Wonder if this was one of his own parents or the other team? Not that is matters, just that the article was very non-descript. Seems this kind of thing is getting more typical...it's freaking crazy.

 

And is there anyone else here who thinks 3rd grade is too young for AAU ball? And let me add for those that don't know me, I coach basketball and have had young summer travel teams in the 5/6 grade age range, which is young enough as it is. Just seems to me once you get younger than that...I don't know, just seems awfully young, and I know that they go even younger than that.

 

In my short time around the basketball world this past fall/winter since I was a kid, basketball is by far the worst sport when it comes to stuff like this. I've never seen parents and coaches go at it with each other or the refs during and after games like any other sport. It's sad.

 

As for AAU this young, I don't think it's a bad thing as long as it's done correctly. As long as they are teaching the kids the game, allowing all of them to do the things in games that they work on in practice, and have fun, it can be a good thing. Some kids want (and need), that high level of activity throughout the week. They want more than 1 practice and game per week. The problem with many of these teams is that when it's game time, it's all about winning. Only Johnny can handle the ball and only Timmy can shoot during a game, even though all the kids go through the same drills in practice. This is where it starts to get out of hand. My daughter started the AAU version of soccer at 6, and she absolutely loves it. She wants the multiple days of soccer per week. She's excited when she plays and disappointed when it's cancelled. So far, her teams have been all about getting better and not worried about winning games, and as a result, each girl has gotten better. As long as these AAU programs are run like this for the younger ages, then it can be a very positive thing.

 

Recently saw a situation that could have become violent at the end of the first quarter of a 4th grade AAU game in Florence over playing time. Dad went after the coach, exchanged words and tried to leave...only to be confronted by another parent upset over his kids name being mentioned.

 

BTW. It was one of the teams that only allowed one player to dribble and shoot. The one parent had enough. My advice, never sign up to play for someone unless you've seen them coach or have watched them play. Just because they win games doesn't mean that you'll be happy or your child will get better.

I was involved in the AAU scene for two years when my youngest traveled the circuit. I was certified so I sat on the bench, handled scorebooks, handled the clock, whatever was needed often times. After it was over, I had a different, and not better, feeling about the college basketball game. It was an interesting and exciting two years, but I was disillusioned with the entire culture in general including some of the AAU coaches (I liked ours!) and the recruiting process in general. I did see many near-fights, and a big reason is that there is big-time competition in very small areas with fans, coaches, etc. in very close proximity to one another. I am surprised there are not more altercations.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. Oh the things I have seen.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.