Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Boating Bill Clears Ky. Senate Panel

Featured Replies

FRANKFORT (AP) - Law enforcement officers on Kentucky's waterways would have to meet tougher standards to justify stopping and boarding boats under a bill making headway in the Legislature.

 

The bill cleared the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday.

 

Sen. Chris Girdler says his bill is aimed at reining in overzealous officers. He says the new standards would put more of the burden on officers to justify inspecting boats.

 

Boating is a big business in Kentucky, which is home to many lakes and rivers. Girdler says unreasonable searches are bad for business and raise civil and property rights issues.

 

The acting commissioner for the Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources, Matt Sawyers, says that provision would send a strong message to officers that "discretion and respect" is a key part of their job.

 

The legislation is Senate Bill 66.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

 

Boating Bill Clears Ky. Senate Panel | LEX18.com

  • Replies 59
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

I don't know about elsewhere in the state but I know at Lake Cumberland law enforcement has abused this stop and search bull for at least the last 20 years. It is about time they are reigned in.

 

Anyone have any experiences to share? Pro? Con?

I don't know about elsewhere in the state but I know at Lake Cumberland law enforcement has abused this stop and search bull for at least the last 20 years. It is about time they are reigned in.

 

Anyone have any experiences to share? Pro? Con?

 

I've got to admit that I get a chuckle out of you admitting officers abuse this, even if it is limited exclusively to Lake Cumberland. :D

I've never been stopped at Lake Cumberland. And I run around 70 everywhere I go.:thumb:

 

But the buckeye navy has some seriously hammered boaters out there. Don't think for a second they don't. I can't tell you the number of times the idiots don't yield or obey zone restrictions. I propose that the Corps of Engineers build a giant lake on the Ohio/Indiana line so all of them could stay home at their own lake. Yep, I said it.

What's the current status of alcohol down at Lake Cumberland? Is it dry, wet, moist?

What's the current status of alcohol down at Lake Cumberland? Is it dry, wet, moist?

 

It doesn't matter, they bring it in by the wheelbarrow loads.

It doesn't matter, they bring it in by the wheelbarrow loads.

 

I understand, just curious as to what the law was. As I recall, it used to be dry but that has recently changed. No?

  • Author
I've got to admit that I get a chuckle out of you admitting officers abuse this, even if it is limited exclusively to Lake Cumberland. :D

 

Make no mistake, one of the worst things a honest officer ever experiences is another officer abusing his/her authority. It is despicable.

  • Author
It doesn't matter, they bring it in by the wheelbarrow loads.

 

Come on Doc, catch up! Get your morning coffee.

Come on Doc, catch up! Get your morning coffee.

 

Where am I slacking? I've never been approached, boarded. Because it's the party aisle that gets boarded and searched. I don't know how abused that happens to be. However, if it keeps one of them from driving a vehicle (with no brakes or lanes marked to stay in) impaired, I'm all for them boarding the boat. Not to mention the underage drinking I've seen time and again there.

I understand, just curious as to what the law was. As I recall, it used to be dry but that has recently changed. No?

Somerset and Burnside have both recently went "Wet" but that didn't change the laws as far as drinking on the lake in anyway. It just means you can buy your beer here instead of hauling it down from up north.

I mean really, are they boarding boats to check fishing licenses? Creel limits? It's all alcohol related, am I mistaken?

Somerset and Burnside have both recently went "Wet" but that didn't change the laws as far as drinking on the lake in anyway. It just means you can buy your beer here instead of hauling it down from up north.

 

That passed last year didn't it? Or maybe year before, I can't recall.

Make no mistake, one of the worst things a honest officer ever experiences is another officer abusing his/her authority. It is despicable.

 

If it helps any the worst (from what I've heard) of those (Water Patrol) guys is now retired, he lives next door to me...his cheese has just about slipped off of his cracker if you know what I mean.

I've never been stopped at Lake Cumberland. And I run around 70 everywhere I go.:thumb:

 

But the buckeye navy has some seriously hammered boaters out there. Don't think for a second they don't. I can't tell you the number of times the idiots don't yield or obey zone restrictions. I propose that the Corps of Engineers build a giant lake on the Ohio/Indiana line so all of them could stay home at their own lake. Yep, I said it.

 

I'd love that idea, but we (locally) do need some of their money, even if they do act like jackasses when they get here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.