Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Offsides

Featured Replies

First things first. Paraphrase: An attacking player is guilty of being offside if he is nearer to the opponent's goal line than the 2nd last defender and the ball after they receive the ball that was last played or touched by a teammate.

 

There are other things involved but that is the base definition. Offside was developed to encourage attacking soccer that involved more passing and strategy rather than just booming the ball up field. The term derives from the idea that a player is "off their side" or "off their team" when they meet the requirements above, among others.

 

Offside position is determined at the moment the ball is last touched or played, after that all bets are off.

 

Trust me, if defenders could really use this to stop attackers that effectively things would change. As it stands it doesn't really help them that much.

 

I'm guessing the Goalie is the "last" defender correct? So what's to stop a team from just leaving a defender back as deep as possible just to slow things down and make it easier for the offensive team to be offsides?? Also, how do ref's call the penalty? It seems like it would be difficult for an official to be in position to keep everything that is required for the penalty to be called in his field of vision.

I'm guessing the Goalie is the "last" defender correct? So what's to stop a team from just leaving a defender back as deep as possible just to slow things down and make it easier for the offensive team to be offsides?? Also, how do ref's call the penalty? It seems like it would be difficult for an official to be in position to keep everything that is required for the penalty to be called in his field of vision.

 

The keeper is the last defender most of the time but it can switch if the keeper and another defender run past each other. It only matter that the last two are defenders of that goal, not what position they play.

 

Offside is very difficult and the Assistant referees get very little credit because it is their number one job and they have to work very hard to make the decision.

 

Watched a video a couple years ago in a recert class that really illustrated this.

For a good comparison, watch an indoor and outdoor soccer game. The game play is so much better outside. In indoor every week, I see coaches placing a player directly in front of the goalie and just having them camp out as offsides is not called. It really takes all skill out of the game. I'm constantly telling my offensive girls to pay attention to it, even though it's not called. For us, indoor is practice, so there's no reason to get into bad habits.

For a good comparison, watch an indoor and outdoor soccer game. The game play is so much better outside. In indoor every week, I see coaches placing a player directly in front of the goalie and just having them camp out as offsides is not called. It really takes all skill out of the game. I'm constantly telling my offensive girls to pay attention to it, even though it's not called. For us, indoor is practice, so there's no reason to get into bad habits.

 

I think indoor soccer is a lot more watchable than the outdoor game. It just seems faster, the pace of the game is much quicker, there is more attacking and more shots are taken.

For a good comparison, watch an indoor and outdoor soccer game. The game play is so much better outside. In indoor every week, I see coaches placing a player directly in front of the goalie and just having them camp out as offsides is not called. It really takes all skill out of the game. I'm constantly telling my offensive girls to pay attention to it, even though it's not called. For us, indoor is practice, so there's no reason to get into bad habits.

 

I agree, indoor is practice at best. In my opinion it does more harm than good because it is basically semi-controlled ciaos.

Offside. There is no extra S.

I can't believe you know that.

I think indoor soccer is a lot more watchable than the outdoor game. It just seems faster, the pace of the game is much quicker, there is more attacking and more shots are taken.

 

I used to agree. However, after watching my daughter grow through the rec then club and now select level, I'm getting a better understanding and appreciation for the game.

 

I agree, indoor is practice at best. In my opinion it does more harm than good because it is basically semi-controlled ciaos.

 

And that's exactly how I've been handling the indoor games. My daughter's team in the fall was very bad at spacing and positioning. That's all we're concentrating on indoors as I told them not to even pay attention to the score. We're usually playing a girl down as the 2 leagues we've played in are 7v7. I only play 6 as that's what they play in the fall and spring. There's no use to adding another girl out there and confusing them on their positioning.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.