Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Walton Verona 41 Highlands 36

Featured Replies

Essentially I'm asking what type of offensive team will they be? Running? Are they shooters? Or do they use sets to get buckets ie backcuts, lots of screening, etc?

 

Holmes is going to penetrate and kick plus get a lot of putbacks.

 

CCH will hits 3s and get to the foul line due to penetration ability.

 

NCC ....well they can score a lot of ways.

 

 

I fully understand the question.

 

Just not sure of the answer. They have some decent shooters - but lack of size will limit open looks due to defenses extending. Buten is a good ball handler and will try to penetrate - but at 5'6" he will be challenged in the paint, thus not creating the same time of looks that Bolden, Ruthsatz, and Pangallo open up for their teammates.

 

I guess as the season progresses they will have to press all over the floor and create turnovers. I can not see this team being competitive in a half court set.

  • Replies 51
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had heard they were doing more ball screens to free up some guys on the wing to attack. These are things that were not evident over the past few seasons where they were relegated to the dreaded Flex offense looking for easy baskets and having guys out of position. If the defense is going to extend then this would be a good offense to run. Guys are just going to have to be in good shape and look at attack. I would be doing several alley ball drills in practice to get them used to the pressure they will see with the lack of big men. 95% of teams are probably going to press and play man-man against the Birds this season.

I fully understand the question.

 

Just not sure of the answer. They have some decent shooters - but lack of size will limit open looks due to defenses extending. Buten is a good ball handler and will try to penetrate - but at 5'6" he will be challenged in the paint, thus not creating the same time of looks that Bolden, Ruthsatz, and Pangallo open up for their teammates.

 

I guess as the season progresses they will have to press all over the floor and create turnovers. I can not see this team being competitive in a half court set.

 

Maybe a little Loyola Marymount ... run even on made baskets. I played on a team that was outmatched in the paint (tallest guy was 6-0) and we ran every chance we got. We scored a lot ... and gave up a lot too. But it was fun and we beat teams that we could never have beaten in half court sets. Fans had fun with it although it almost put a few oldtimers in the grave. I can picture a couple of those Bird wide receivers streaking down the sideline or following up the fast break and pulling up for threes.

I can't wait to see what Grant does at WV. Everyone who questioned his ability at NewCath is going find out just how good this dude is. Phenomenal coach. Even better person.

Call it what you want, when 5 kids off AAU team move from various school districts to play on same team with other AAU teammates, strictly for basketball, in 5th or 6th grade I'll consider it transferring. Just because KHSAA doesn't, doesn't mean it's not.

 

But see I am one that thinks kids should go where they want to play basketball at any grade and be eligible because it only comes around one time and they need to enjoy it to the max.

But see I am one that thinks kids should go where they want to play basketball at any grade and be eligible because it only comes around one time and they need to enjoy it to the max.
I do agree with you to a certain point as long as kids are getting it done on academic side, do it at early age, stay at that school, basically as if they were born in that system. Or if family has to relocate for betterment of family when kid is in high school absolutely, but I don't think you can just have unrestricted free agency.

 

The kids who came to Walton, were great kids with tremendous families, became part of school system and communities at early ages and I know none of them wanted to leave Walton and wish that team was still together. I don't blame any of them for leaving, was just a bad situation.

 

But you are looking at it from top talent perspective which is basically recruited. That next level of talent, good but not great high school players are the ones who suffer. In the Walton situation, a lot of players quit basketball or moved to other districts because of playing time. For the ones who stuck it out, just think of all the game experience lost to kids now representing other districts.

 

I just said it was refreshing watching the homegrown talent, get to play through mistakes and improve, not necessarily always top notch basketball, but refreshing, lol. But I would have also enjoyed watching a very talented team make a run at the all "A" state and 8th region titles this year. So I see both sides, but as one of my friends likes to say..."it all fell apart like a soup sandwich"!

I can't wait to see what Grant does at WV. Everyone who questioned his ability at NewCath is going find out just how good this dude is. Phenomenal coach. Even better person.

I will say this, guy seems to be coaching his heart out for Walton. Very refreshing watching kids play through mistakes, build confidence, jv kids being rewarded for playing well with spot varsity minutes, and some nice x & o game adjustments. Outside of Wtown game, all the rest have been very encouraging. Wish he had a little more Assistant coaching experience on bench to help recognize mismatches, opposing teams foul trouble, but that will come.

 

I really don't know him, but it speaks to a mans character, to leave talent he did for betterment of his family, takeover a far less talented team and coach as hard as he is. Also I think he had respect of his former players because many of them have showed up at 2 of Walton's games already.

Edited by Old School
spelling

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.