Highlands 43 Covington Holy Cross 39 Final (OT)

Highlands fights back from miserable shooting night to gain the victory in overtime. Haley Coffey hits a 3 late to put Birds up by one, Holy Cross goes back up by 2 and then Lydia Graves hits two free throws late to send the game into OT. Birds come up big in OT and hit free throws late to record the victory.

First...thanks for the support JOAT. I know the girls appreciate it!

And when he says miserable, he means miserable. I was curious if they were ever going to make another basket. Just wouldn't fall for them tonight. They had 10 pts at half...all on free throws. Not one field goal. They were 2-20 behind the arc. And these girls are good shooters!

Have to give credit to HC's defense as well. They are long, disciplined and pretty athletic. They make it pretty tough to score.

They are tough to defend as well. They have a nice team. I thought HHS did as well as they could being a little undersized.

Low scoring game, but still pretty entertaining. Every basket was a big deal because it was so hard to score.

HC is going to be kicking themselves from all the missed free throws. They had several chances in the 4th to extend the lead out further but didn't due to missed FTs. They missed 2 front ends of bonus situations as well as 3 others in last 3+ minutes. Credit HHS. RCC9 was correct. Every basket for both teams was contested. Girls played very hard on both ends. After trailing the whole game, Coffey hits the big 3 in corner late in regular that helped get game into overtime. In the OT, the Birds were the fresher team and forced several turnovers with their pressure on the perimeter guards for HC. Good luck to HHS the rest of the year.

Thanks to Stinkyboy who emailed into the broadcast. :thumb:

I wonder how many times a team has made zero FGs in a half and trailed by double digits at half and came back to win. I'm guessing it's very rare. I think this highlands team living and dying by the 3 ball is gonna have a tough season with virtually no inside game. Hard way to survive on a nightly basis.

HC is going to be kicking themselves from all the missed free throws. They had several chances in the 4th to extend the lead out further but didn't due to missed FTs. They missed 2 front ends of bonus situations as well as 3 others in last 3+ minutes. Credit HHS. RCC9 was correct. Every basket for both teams was contested. Girls played very hard on both ends. After trailing the whole game, Coffey hits the big 3 in corner late in regular that helped get game into overtime. In the OT, the Birds were the fresher team and forced several turnovers with their pressure on the perimeter guards for HC. Good luck to HHS the rest of the year.

Thanks to Stinkyboy who emailed into the broadcast. :thumb:

Yes he was more like Lazyboy last night. Could not get off the couch to make it to the game, so he listened on the internet.

I wonder how many times a team has made zero FGs in a half and trailed by double digits at half and came back to win. I'm guessing it's very rare. I think this highlands team living and dying by the 3 ball is gonna have a tough season with virtually no inside game. Hard way to survive on a nightly basis.

This is very true, BUT when they are hitting, they can beat anyone because they play good defense too. There won't be many nights that they shoot that bad. It was bad. They have too many shooters to not have one of them hitting and last night, they all stuggled. HC's length probably had some to do with that too.

They are young and they continue to work on their interior scoring and defense. And I will say they are a little better inside than they played last night. It doesn't help when you're playing long 6 foot plus twins in the middle! I think most teams will struggle scoring on HC in the middle.

I like the HC team. They will be tough matchup for a lot of teams.

Stinkyboy in the Lazyboy. Like it.

I wish I could shoot free throws like the Lady Birds. I remember the clinic they put on last year in the district game against NCC, and they put on another clinic last night. I know they made 23. Only missed a few - maybe 23 for 27.

And what's funny about that is I think Adler missed 3. She is the best free throw shooter we have. Heck, I don't think she missed 3 free throws all last year! Lydia Graves two were HUGE!!!