November 26, 201312 yr Especially when you consider wind doesn't play havoc with three-point attempts in hoops. Except wind doesn't really play all that much havoc on kicks either. 23 out of 32 kickers this year make over 80% of their attempts, and only 3 make less than 70%. Kickers are making 65% of their kicks over 50 yards. And 9 NFL teams either play in a dome or a stadium with a retractable roof. There might be a game or two every week where weather is a factor and COULD affect a kick, but most of the time coaches will opt not to long field goals under those circumstances. Kickers nowadays are just about automatic. Even the worst kickers rarely miss, regardless of weather. Even the best three point shooters miss way more than half the time under perfect conditions. It's an apples to oranges comparison.
November 26, 201312 yr Author Except wind doesn't really play all that much havoc on kicks either. 23 out of 32 kickers this year make over 80% of their attempts, and only 3 make less than 70%. Kickers are making 65% of their kicks over 50 yards. And 9 NFL teams either play in a dome or a stadium with a retractable roof. There might be a game or two every week where weather is a factor and COULD affect a kick, but most of the time coaches will opt not to long field goals under those circumstances. Kickers nowadays are just about automatic. Even the worst kickers rarely miss, regardless of weather. Even the best three point shooters miss way more than half the time under perfect conditions. It's an apples to oranges comparison. That's why I think something should be done. It is too easy.
November 26, 201312 yr Marvin has a hard enough time with game management. This would be comical to watch, the smoke pouring out his ears as he tried to figure out what to do! Heck I'm all for it..... It'd be worth the laugh.
November 26, 201312 yr That's why I think something should be done. It is too easy. What do you do to make it harder?? Make the goal posts narrower?? They already introduced the K-ball so kickers couldn't doctor balls the way they like them. And kickers only got better. It is what is, and I'm not so sure what else could be done. And despite the fact that the pro's are really good at it, it's not an easy thing to do.....ask a few of the high schools in the area how easy it is to kick field goals. I know I don't want anyone making my job harder just because I'm really good at it:lol2:
November 26, 201312 yr Author Agree. No need to change. Not so much change, but always trying to make it better. I always look to better things in some arenas, sports being one of them. I get bored with many things routine.
November 26, 201312 yr Except wind doesn't really play all that much havoc on kicks either. 23 out of 32 kickers this year make over 80% of their attempts, and only 3 make less than 70%. Kickers are making 65% of their kicks over 50 yards. And 9 NFL teams either play in a dome or a stadium with a retractable roof. There might be a game or two every week where weather is a factor and COULD affect a kick, but most of the time coaches will opt not to long field goals under those circumstances. Kickers nowadays are just about automatic. Even the worst kickers rarely miss, regardless of weather. Even the best three point shooters miss way more than half the time under perfect conditions. It's an apples to oranges comparison. If the wind wasn't a factor why did Belichick elect to take the wind and kick off to Denver to start OT in one of the biggest games of the year?
November 27, 201312 yr If the wind wasn't a factor why did Belichick elect to take the wind and kick off to Denver to start OT in one of the biggest games of the year? Reread my post;) I said for the most part, wind isn't a factor (because of domes, etc), but there are occasionally situations where the wind is a problem, especially on long field goals, and in those cases, coaches most often opt not to kick the ball. But if you look at it statistically, regardless of wind, most of the time, field goals under 50 yards are pretty close to automatic. Wind is rarely a factor unless the field goal is approaching 50+ yards.
November 27, 201312 yr Reread my post;) I said for the most part, wind isn't a factor (because of domes, etc), but there are occasionally situations where the wind is a problem, especially on long field goals, and in those cases, coaches most often opt not to kick the ball. But if you look at it statistically, regardless of wind, most of the time, field goals under 50 yards are pretty close to automatic. Wind is rarely a factor unless the field goal is approaching 50+ yards. Can you provide me with a link to whatever site is breaking down FGs by the amount of wind blowing that night?
November 27, 201312 yr Can you provide me with a link to whatever site is breaking down FGs by the amount of wind blowing that night? Sorry, I have nothing that specific. But you can look at overall field goal percentage. And just about every kicker in the NFL is making more than 75% of their kicks (all but 3, and none of those are less than 67%), and many are making close to or above 90%. It doesn't seem like any weather condition is affecting their accuracy. If any weather condition was a huge factor, you'd see lower percentages, wouldn't you think?? And I'll freely admit, that wind does play a factor, especially on long kicks approaching or greater than 50 yards. WHEN those conditions apply, coaches generally opt NOT to attempt a field goal. You were comparing kicking to shooting a basketball Especially when you consider wind doesn't play havoc with three-point attempts in hoops I take this to mean (and I'm sorry if I'm reading this wrong) you think shooting a basketball is less difficult than kicking a football (because of wind), and that you agreed with the concept of giving more points for longer kicks. My point was if you look at the numbers (overall), it's pretty easy to see that kickers make a much higher percent of their kicks (even the bad ones) than basketball players make when shooting 3 pointers (really, ANY shot). These kicks are made in ALL conditions....wind, rain, snow, etc. And I can't remember the last time a coach passed up a 40 yarder because of wind. The best 3 point shooters shoot around 40%. If a kicker only hits 40% of his kicks, he's out the league. All I'm saying, it's not an accurate comparison, not that wind doesn't matter at all...but based on how accurate these guys are, I'd say it doesn't matter as much as you might think.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.