16th Region Poll 1/12/06

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many games can a kid miss after quitting and then rejoin the team? What are we teaching young adults?

I think we've been teaching them that you can go into the stands, fight with some fans, then a year later quit a team only to gripe when you get a chance to play again with another. Maybe take a year off to get your rap label/album on it's feet. That's kinda what they get taught.

I think we've been teaching them that you can go into the stands, fight with some fans, then a year later quit a team only to gripe when you get a chance to play again with another. Maybe take a year off to get your rap label/album on it's feet. That's kinda what they get taught.

If kids believe thats how the REAL real world works then thats their fault. All kids should be raised with enough sense to know they can't act like Ron Artest.

If kids believe thats how the REAL real world works then thats their fault. All kids should be raised with enough sense to know they can't act like Ron Artest.

Not happening, have you seen on our local news sportscast in the past two seasons where teams/players fight when they shake hands after a game, etc.. You can argue if you like but kids emulate what they see, maybe not to the same degree in most cases, but they have no accountability anymore. I understand it's a different generation, but kids and their responsibilities/actions were different when I was in school several years ago.

Not happening, have you seen on our local news sportscast in the past two seasons where teams/players fight when they shake hands after a game, etc.. You can argue if you like but kids emulate what they see, maybe not to the same degree in most cases, but they have no accountability anymore. I understand it's a different generation, but kids and their responsibilities/actions were different when I was in school several years ago.

I know one school in the 16th region that has tried to make kids accountable for their actions and the kids just quit.

I know one school in the 16th region that has tried to make kids accountable for their actions and the kids just quit.

That's my point, they don't have accountability to anyone. Odds are it starts at home. But it's a shame that kids today have to see all the junk that athletes do professionally, T.O., Artest, etc.. It's in their face all the time. And when a coach/program tries to discipline or make them accountable, they just quit. Easy way out. I'm not using the Russell thing as an example, I have no knowledge of the situation, just a generalization. But kudos to coaches that set this type of standard. I'd rather tank the season than backtrack on the standards and expectations of the players by letting a student-athlete come and go at his/her whim regardless of the athletic ability.

I know that kids need to be held accountable for their actions, but please don't think that this fighting is a new thing, it has been going on for years. The only difference is that with media being the way it is today, everything is blown up to a whole new level.

That's my point, they don't have accountability to anyone. Odds are it starts at home. But it's a shame that kids today have to see all the junk that athletes do professionally, T.O., Artest, etc.. It's in their face all the time. And when a coach/program tries to discipline or make them accountable, they just quit. Easy way out. I'm not using the Russell thing as an example, I have no knowledge of the situation, just a generalization. But kudos to coaches that set this type of standard. I'd rather tank the season than backtrack on the standards and expectations of the players by letting a student-athlete come and go at his/her whim regardless of the athletic ability.

:thumb: Coaches do have to have this responsibility, even at the risk of cutting their own throat. But many won't for fear of having a losing season and listening to everyone call for their head. So who is really to blame in all of this mess, the kids, the coaches, or the fans???