Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rick Pitino's Top 10 Players

Featured Replies

  • Author

Without having thought a great deal about it, I see two names here that I don't think belong: Sean Woods & Russ Smith. I would include both Walter McCarty & Nazr Mohammed on this list before Woods--perhaps even some other players. But I have a really hard time thinking that Russ Smith is the best player Rick has coached at UL. Garcia was the first name that came to my mind. Earl Clark? Terrence Williams?

 

I'm curious what others have to say about this, particularly the UL fans. Who are the best UL players Rick has coached?

  • Author

What about Dean? The shooter? I'm not going to try & spell his first name. :lol2:

^ Taquan? Solid player.

 

Off the top of my head and without thinking much, I'm going with this for Pitino players at Louisville.

 

1) Reece Gaines

2) Francisco Garcia

3) Russ Smith

4) Terrence Williams

5) Earl Clark

 

Don't know where I'd put Siva, Dieng, Samuels or some of the other talents he's had here. I'm also not very good at keeping "best" and "favorite" appropriately separated. Although that favorites list would have Dieng on top followed quickly by David Padgett.

Edited by Getslow

  • Author
^ Taquan? Solid player.

 

Off the top of my head and without thinking much, I'm going with this for Pitino players at Louisville.

 

1) Reece Gaines

2) Francisco Garcia

3) Russ Smith

4) Terrence Williams

5) Earl Clark

 

Taquan, that's the guy. He played for Rick, didn't he?

  • Author
1.) Roderick Rhodes

 

 

2.-10.) Don't matter

 

Oh dear.

One of the other writers did his own top 10. It was linked in that first article: Rick Pitino: His top 10 players - ESPN

 

His ten:

 

1: Tony Delk, Kentucky

2: Jamal Mashburn, Kentucky

3: Antoine Walker, Kentucky

4: Reece Gaines, Louisville

5: Ron Mercer, Kentucky

6: Billy Donovan, Providence

7: Peyton Siva, Louisville

8: Derek Anderson, Kentucky

9: Francisco Garcia, Louisville

10: Walter McCarty, Kentucky

  • Author

I didn't realize how good Billy Donovan was either.

  • Author

I think Mr. Brennan nailed the top four & in the right order. Not sure on the rest.

Taquan, that's the guy. He played for Rick, didn't he?

 

Yeah. Definitely a solid player. Was on the 2005 Final Four team. He's currently playing in Italy.

 

If not on my "best" player list, he's definitely right there with fellow 2005 teammate Larry O'Bannon on the "favorites" list.

Is it best players to play for Pitino or best careers? Either way, Mashburn and Walker have to be numbers 1 and 2. Then Delk. Sort out the rest after that.

 

 

 

The only top 10 list Wayne Turner belongs on is top 10 players from his high school.

  • Author
Is it best players to play for Pitino or best careers? Either way, Mashburn and Walker have to be numbers 1 and 2. Then Delk. Sort out the rest after that.

 

Not sure about best player or best career.

 

If you just look at college, I still think Delk is the better player over Antoine. Walker didn't do much the very end of his freshman year & then had a really good sophomore year. Delk being a Final Four MVP & one of the school's all-time leading scorers gets him the nod in the eyes of a lot of folks.

Not sure about best player or best career.

 

If you just look at college, I still think Delk is the better player over Antoine. Walker didn't do much the very end of his freshman year & then had a really good sophomore year. Delk being a Final Four MVP & one of the school's all-time leading scorers gets him the nod in the eyes of a lot of folks.

 

So if you're starting a team and you have first pick you'd pick Delk over Walker?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.