Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Preseason Power Rankings: #6 Cincinnati Bengals

Featured Replies

It seems to me that other people have agreed that the Bengals have done things right and had a good off season and became a better team. Which was highly debated for awhile this off season. :D

I have to ask you a question. You say they did the right things this off-season, as you know I think they failed in Free Agency.

 

So you didn't want them to spend money on Free Agents so they could save that money for their own such as Geno and AJ and MJ etc. Well they signed Dunlap but mmany have said they would rather have signed MJ. Also the fact that they haven't ddone squat with Geno, AJ and Johnson. The Bengals improved in one area, that was through the draft which everyone knew they would.

 

So where are all the resignings with all they money they saved in FA?

Agree with most here. Dalton really needs to show me something this season or I get back in the market for a QB. Also need another stud bookend to take pressure off of AJ. Love the D and D does win championships.

Couldn't agree more!!

If New England and the Gals played on a neutral field week 1 Pats are -4 or more if I had to guess so I value those power rankings far more than PFT's. Also New England is 9/1 to win the Super Bowl on Bovada and the Gals are 33/1 so anyone that thinks 6 is right needs to get some money down on the Gals now b/c 33/1 is way too high for the 6th best team.

The nemesis has been the Texans. Not much talk about them? Have the Bengals gained any ground on them?

I have to ask you a question. You say they did the right things this off-season, as you know I think they failed in Free Agency.

 

So you didn't want them to spend money on Free Agents so they could save that money for their own such as Geno and AJ and MJ etc. Well they signed Dunlap but mmany have said they would rather have signed MJ. Also the fact that they haven't ddone squat with Geno, AJ and Johnson. The Bengals improved in one area, that was through the draft which everyone knew they would.

 

So where are all the resignings with all they money they saved in FA?

Who is the many who have said they rather have MJ? I believe I saw that questioned asked in the other thread about who they rather have and it seem like many more people said Dunlap. So not sure what your getting at there. Also go back to those threads and see which people I said they needed to save money to sign and Dunlap not Johnson was one of the ones I talked about. Then also the obvious in Green and Geno. Considering the fact that they can't extend Green until next year under the new CBA rules takes that away from your argument. It would have been really hard to sign and possibly not smart to sign both Johnson and Dunlap to big contracts when you assume they will sign Geno to a huge deal and Green to a huge deal next year. There were very free agents this past off season that made it worth spending a lot of money to get. Much better play keeping own team in tact and saving money to try to extend their star players. It seems like majority of people around the NFL also agree now that they got better because of it.

 

So basically the only resigned still left this off season is Geno, which I admit is huge to get him extended. You don't want him to make it to next off season without having him extended. If that happens then it will be a horrible job by the front office. So get him signed, then next off season focus on Green when they are allowed to extend him, and possibly Dalton depending how he does this year. Then throw in Vontez who I could see holding out next off season if he has another huge year this year. So yes nice try but once again they played this off season including free agency close to perfectly and got better as a team for this year and setting themselves up to stay good for many years.

In a shorter version if the Bengals get Geno signed before the season or even during the season. Then the Bengals played this off season about as perfect as they could play it. If they allow Geno to get to free agency then I agree they are idiots. Which with the Bengals I admit that could happen, however at this moment everything they have done this off season has gone exactly like it needed to in keeping the team in tact, saving money to sign their stars, and building through the draft. They are a better team now than they were when the season ended, and they have set themselves up to be good/great for many years.

In a shorter version if the Bengals get Geno signed before the season or even during the season. Then the Bengals played this off season about as perfect as they could play it. If they allow Geno to get to free agency then I agree they are idiots. Which with the Bengals I admit that could happen, however at this moment everything they have done this off season has gone exactly like it needed to in keeping the team in tact, saving money to sign their stars, and building through the draft. They are a better team now than they were when the season ended, and they have set themselves up to be good/great for many years.

You keep talking about how it was a perfect offseason because they saves money to sign their big stars. When exactly are they going to sign those big stars?

You keep talking about how it was a perfect offseason because they saves money to sign their big stars. When exactly are they going to sign those big stars?

 

When are you going to quit ignoring the fact that they can't sign Green this off season because they are now allowed to because of that new CBA. Which means Geno is that big star that they have to sign still this off season. Which I have even admitted they would really screw up big time if they allow him to get to next off season without an extension. So they have that contract, and then Green next off season and possibly Dalton depending on how he does this year. Then also Gresham depending on how he does this season, and probably also Vontez Burfict will be looking for a big deal if he produces the same top numbers as last year. Wasting and overspending money on free agents this year on guys who would probably not made that big of a difference would have possibly cost them a chance of keeping their own guys. Which in the past you have even said they have sucked at. So then you could complain that well they were dumbing spending money on free agents and not being prepared to sign their own. Come on man...

When are you going to quit ignoring the fact that they can't sign Green this off season because they are now allowed to because of that new CBA. Which means Geno is that big star that they have to sign still this off season. Which I have even admitted they would really screw up big time if they allow him to get to next off season without an extension. So they have that contract, and then Green next off season and possibly Dalton depending on how he does this year. Then also Gresham depending on how he does this season, and probably also Vontez Burfict will be looking for a big deal if he produces the same top numbers as last year. Wasting and overspending money on free agents this year on guys who would probably not made that big of a difference would have possibly cost them a chance of keeping their own guys. Which in the past you have even said they have sucked at. So then you could complain that well they were dumbing spending money on free agents and not being prepared to sign their own. Come on man...

Let me ask you something, you keep saying they need to save the money for AJ, yet you say because of the new CBA he isn't allowed to sign a new contract yet. I never heard that, but who knows you may be right. But there are 2 problems I have with the bengals not spending the money they have to spend on the players we agree we need to keep, AJ and Geno for example, yet you say after this season they have to re-sign AJ when actually you are wrong.

 

The new CBA makes all 1st round picks sign a 4 year contract and after their 3rd year the team has the right to pick up the 5th year of that player. That means AJ actually has 3 more seasons he would have to play here, 2013 2014 and 15. Which begs the question again, why are they saving money when 1, they have to spend a certain amount up to the cap, and 2 the players you are talking about, AJ can be stuck here no matter what for 3 more seasons if the Bengals choose.

 

So again, please explain to me again why they can't give him a new contract this year but can next? And what purpose does it do not to fill holes in free agency and just do nothing?

Let me ask you something, you keep saying they need to save the money for AJ, yet you say because of the new CBA he isn't allowed to sign a new contract yet. I never heard that, but who knows you may be right. But there are 2 problems I have with the bengals not spending the money they have to spend on the players we agree we need to keep, AJ and Geno for example, yet you say after this season they have to re-sign AJ when actually you are wrong.

 

The new CBA makes all 1st round picks sign a 4 year contract and after their 3rd year the team has the right to pick up the 5th year of that player. That means AJ actually has 3 more seasons he would have to play here, 2013 2014 and 15. Which begs the question again, why are they saving money when 1, they have to spend a certain amount up to the cap, and 2 the players you are talking about, AJ can be stuck here no matter what for 3 more seasons if the Bengals choose.

 

So again, please explain to me again why they can't give him a new contract this year but can next? And what purpose does it do not to fill holes in free agency and just do nothing?

 

I will explain it to you, it is a rule they are not allowed to extend AJ until after this season that is a fact. Now since you been proven wrong on that, you want to try to make an argument now that completely goes against things you have been saying. You talk about how the Bengals wait to long to sign their own players, but now your saying the Bengals should even wait until even after next season before trying to extend Green? I mean which one is it man? Or is it just whatever happens to fit your argument at that time? So your right they can pick up his 5th year after their 3rd year. Which you wouldn't want them to try to extend Green right away when they are finally able to? Makes sense. You can't have it both ways man. Then the same goes for Dalton depending on how he does this year. Seems to me if he does made that improvement, you would want to lock him up sooner too if able to. Not to mention your not even considering the fact that with someone like Green if he has another huge year, that his agent may want him to hold out to get him off that rookie contract after this year. You talk about how the Bengals don't plan ahead and wait to long, it seems that might be a reasonable thing to think about. So you have first Geno this off season hopefully, then people like Green, Dalton, Gresham next year and possibly Vontez who could be wanting more too and rightfully so.

 

The Bengals kept their playoff team in tact, and filled basically every hole they had through the draft. Which history has shown teams who build through the draft are more successful than teams who do not. They filled the holes, kept team in tact, and yet still have money to sign their own stars. Sounds to me like that is pretty smart business by the Bengals for once.

I will explain it to you, it is a rule they are not allowed to extend AJ until after this season that is a fact. Now since you been proven wrong on that, you want to try to make an argument now that completely goes against things you have been saying.

Reading comprehension would do you good. That is what I found and posted about. It says nothing about you can't give a player still in his rookie contract a new contract, what I found and posted on here was a team can pick up an OPTION for a 5th year for a 1st round pick. Totally different than what you said and again since you have no clue about what I already posted I will explain it again to you.

 

You said the Bengals aren't allowed to give AJ a new contract yet, I replied that I never heard that rule in the new CBA but what I did know about the new CBA is that a 1st round pick signs a 4 year deal with the ability for the team to pick up the option for a 5th year which means that AJ is here for at least 3 more seasons, this season, next season and the season after that before they actually have to get him a new contract if they want to keep him. What about that don't you understand?

 

Now back to my original point, I said if you are correct and they aren't allowed to give him a new contract yet, then why aren't they spending the money in free agency to fill holes? You chose to ignore that and go on this idiotic rant which proves to me you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

 

You said I am now saying the Bengals should wait until his 5th year to re-sign him, I never said anything of the sort. What I did say is knowing how Mike Brown works he can actually wait until then to re-sign him or try to, I never once said that is what I'd do. In fact I have said all along they should try and re-sign him NOW instead of later because the later they wait the more it will cost them.

 

You also say it's a fact that teams that build through the draft are more succesful than teams that fill holes through free agency, well that isn't 100% accurate. when was the last time the Pats won the Super Bowl? It was with Corey Dillon who was a huge part of their offense, he was gained through Free Agency. Now building through the draft works when you get good players and hang on to those players, something the Bengals has a history of not doing, letting players such as Steinbach, Justin Smith, and Jonathon Joseph go....all who were drafted etc. So you can toss out all the false statements you want, it doesn't make it right. Now go back and re-read my post about the 5 year thing and maybe through all your anger you can actually comprehend what I stated.

 

Here is what I posted, it isn't hard to understand it...

 

The new CBA makes all 1st round picks sign a 4 year contract and after their 3rd year the team has the right to pick up the 5th year of that player. That means AJ actually has 3 more seasons he would have to play here, 2013 2014 and 15. Which begs the question again, why are they saving money when 1, they have to spend a certain amount up to the cap, and 2 the players you are talking about, AJ can be stuck here no matter what for 3 more seasons if the Bengals choose.

Reading comprehension would do you good. That is what I found and posted about. It says nothing about you can't give a player still in his rookie contract a new contract, what I found and posted on here was a team can pick up an OPTION for a 5th year for a 1st round pick. Totally different than what you said and again since you have no clue about what I already posted I will explain it again to you.

 

You said the Bengals aren't allowed to give AJ a new contract yet, I replied that I never heard that rule in the new CBA but what I did know about the new CBA is that a 1st round pick signs a 4 year deal with the ability for the team to pick up the option for a 5th year which means that AJ is here for at least 3 more seasons, this season, next season and the season after that before they actually have to get him a new contract if they want to keep him. What about that don't you understand?

 

Now back to my original point, I said if you are correct and they aren't allowed to give him a new contract yet, then why aren't they spending the money in free agency to fill holes? You chose to ignore that and go on this idiotic rant which proves to me you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

 

You said I am now saying the Bengals should wait until his 5th year to re-sign him, I never said anything of the sort. What I did say is knowing how Mike Brown works he can actually wait until then to re-sign him or try to, I never once said that is what I'd do. In fact I have said all along they should try and re-sign him NOW instead of later because the later they wait the more it will cost them.

 

You also say it's a fact that teams that build through the draft are more succesful than teams that fill holes through free agency, well that isn't 100% accurate. when was the last time the Pats won the Super Bowl? It was with Corey Dillon who was a huge part of their offense, he was gained through Free Agency. Now building through the draft works when you get good players and hang on to those players, something the Bengals has a history of not doing, letting players such as Steinbach, Justin Smith, and Jonathon Joseph go....all who were drafted etc. So you can toss out all the false statements you want, it doesn't make it right. Now go back and re-read my post about the 5 year thing and maybe through all your anger you can actually comprehend what I stated.

 

Here is what I posted, it isn't hard to understand it...

 

The new CBA makes all 1st round picks sign a 4 year contract and after their 3rd year the team has the right to pick up the 5th year of that player. That means AJ actually has 3 more seasons he would have to play here, 2013 2014 and 15. Which begs the question again, why are they saving money when 1, they have to spend a certain amount up to the cap, and 2 the players you are talking about, AJ can be stuck here no matter what for 3 more seasons if the Bengals choose.

 

You completely contradict yourself throughout your whole post there. Well they need to have used the money to sign free agents. Well I am saying they do need to get AJ Green sooner. The Bengals have a history of letting their own talent get away. Yet the Bengals are doing it the smart way by filling most of those HOLES you talk about through the draft, The Bengals have kept a playoff team in tact, while adding pieces through the draft to help fit needs. The Bengals did overspend on guys like Mike Wallace who might not have fit this offense well with his skill set, and been worth way to much. The Bengals now have money to try to make sure they can sign their own which was a problem in the past. Yet now you still want to complain about it? All at the same time by not even having a clue or even wanting to say who some of these guys they should have signed through free agency. I mean you set things up perfectly for yourself here didn't you. If the Bengals overspent on free agency this year, and then didn't have enough money to keep most of their young talent you would have complained and said they did it again like they did with Joseph, etc. However since they played it smart this time, now you complain that they should have spent more in free agency on holes. Even though they addressed the majority of those holes through the draft. That just shows that you just want to protect yourself in your arguments so you have something to complain about either way.

 

Also I seen what you posted and I even said you are right they could pick up his 5th year? Where did I say you were wrong on that? Maybe you need to read it again, sure seems like you always decide to ignore things like that. However you say they wait to long, so that is why they need to have that money to sign him after this season when they are allowed too. Pretty simple man.

I will explain it to you, it is a rule they are not allowed to extend AJ until after this season that is a fact. Now since you been proven wrong on that

 

Also I seen what you posted and I even said you are right they could pick up his 5th year? Where did I say you were wrong on that? Maybe you need to read it again, sure seems like you always decide to ignore things like that. However you say they wait to long, so that is why they need to have that money to sign him after this season when they are allowed too. Pretty simple man.

Right there my friend. Again you say they didn't sign Free Agents so they could save money to sign their own players they need to re-sign, I take it you are talking about Geno etc. Sorry they haven't and that has been already proven they didn't sign him this offseason, so what is your argument and backpeddling going to consist of this time?

Right there my friend. Again you say they didn't sign Free Agents so they could save money to sign their own players they need to re-sign, I take it you are talking about Geno etc. Sorry they haven't and that has been already proven they didn't sign him this offseason, so what is your argument and backpeddling going to consist of this time?

 

Wow man I must have missed a few months. I didn't realize that the season has already started, and not only that I didn't realize that the season is already over and were in next off season already. I mean you argument would make sense if it was next off season right now. So unless somehow I missed the last few months, then you little thing there was wrong as usual. I mean you act like teams can't sign guys once training camp starts or something, or that is how you make it sound in your last post. I stand by what I said, if Geno is not extended before next off season, then I will right there with you saying how they screwed up.

 

However I am not going to complain before there is something to even complain about. Your complaining about him not being extended and its not even next off season yet haha.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.