Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Referee Positioning

Featured Replies

I hope some of the folks on BGP who are more familiar with officiating can help me out with this. I'm 31 years old and have watched football my whole life, but that only takes my memory back to about 1990. When I watch old films (high school and higher) I notice that the head linesman and line judge both seem to be much closer to the line of scrimmage than they are today. My only theory for this is that most plays were ran up the middle, thus the officials were closer to see the play. With more spread offenses and passing today the officials must be near the sideline to avoid interfering with the game action. Can someone confirm my reason or give another reason? Thanks

 

Attached is a video from an Ashland/Greenup County game in 1975. The linesmen were basically playing tight end.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U_Ghinv0rJw#!

I hope some of the folks on BGP who are more familiar with officiating can help me out with this. I'm 31 years old and have watched football my whole life, but that only takes my memory back to about 1990. When I watch old films (high school and higher) I notice that the head linesman and line judge both seem to be much closer to the line of scrimmage than they are today. My only theory for this is that most plays were ran up the middle, thus the officials were closer to see the play. With more spread offenses and passing today the officials must be near the sideline to avoid interfering with the game action. Can someone confirm my reason or give another reason? Thanks

 

Attached is a video from an Ashland/Greenup County game in 1975. The linesmen were basically playing tight end.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U_Ghinv0rJw#!

 

My somewhat educated guess is that it might have to do with the safety of the officials. Being that close to the line of scrimmage, officials would be more at risk of violent contact.

My somewhat educated guess is that it might have to do with the safety of the officials. Being that close to the line of scrimmage, officials would be more at risk of violent contact.

 

I think this is correct.

 

Did you see the guy blow the kicker up on the opening kick off, OMG!

I think this is correct.

 

Did you see the guy blow the kicker up on the opening kick off, OMG!

Lol that was the first thing I saw. Anyone have a name on that man.

Capture11.JPG

 

That's how it's done!!

Well it is certainly interesting to see them so bunched together like that.

The team in the White RB uses the official as an additional blocker on the Option play when he gets outside, smart kid.

Saw some down field chop blocking too by the recievers as well...

Boy how times have changed to protect kids playing this game especially the kicker. LOL

 

 

FWIW, why in the world would the White team throw the ball when they could execute the option play the way they did...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.