Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bengals question for Hellbird

Featured Replies

What is your over/under on how many games the Bengals will win this season?

Oooooh, can I play too?? I have been spot on predicting their record 4 out of the last 5 years.....

  • Author
Oooooh, can I play too?? I have been spot on predicting their record 4 out of the last 5 years.....

 

I guess we are going to have to open it up to everyone. Hellbird is really good at blowing the Bengals up with his opinions but apparently no so good when asked to be specific about their 2013 record. :D

What is your over/under on how many games the Bengals will win this season?

I will say the over under is Marvin's favorite number for wins. 8

 

I will say under, i have them at 6-7 wins.

I guess we are going to have to open it up to everyone. Hellbird is really good at blowing the Bengals up with his opinions but apparently no so good when asked to be specific about their 2013 record. :D

I made my prediction as soon as I saw this thread :ylsuper:

  • Author

Is 8 a push?

  • Author
8 is a push

 

So you are going with 8 or under and I am going with 8 or more?

So you are going with 8 or under and I am going with 8 or more?

Yes, plus I have history on my side. The Bengals have only had 3 consecutive winning seasons once in their entire history, and that was 75-77 seasons.

 

I feel good about my chances

Yes, plus I have history on my side. The Bengals have only had 3 consecutive winning seasons once in their entire history, and that was 75-77 seasons.

 

I feel good about my chances

 

Didn't they only make back to back playoffs once before last year? It's seems that this current group of players on this team that your still down on has shown they go against what has been expected of them especially since Mike Brown took over. So they might keep going against the history that you like to go back to.

Didn't they only make back to back playoffs once before last year? It's seems that this current group of players on this team that your still down on has shown they go against what has been expected of them especially since Mike Brown took over. So they might keep going against the history that you like to go back to.

You still don't have any idea where I am on the Bengals. I'm not down on them, I simply don't think they are as great as you think they are.

 

Again, making playoffs back to back doesn't mean squat when you can't win in the postseason. 12 teams make the playoffs every year, that is more than 1/3rd the league. No real big accomplishment....but for the Bengals you are right, it is a HUGE accomplishment. With that said, they are an alright team, just not where they need tto be to have a chance to wiin it all yet.

 

Last year and the year before it was no surprise to the majority of fans who have followed the team for decades that they would lose to the teams they faced in the 1st round of the playoffs.

 

The best team they have had in the last 2 decades was the 2005 team, and that was tthe first team since their last playoff berth that I felt could go a long way in the post season going into the first playoff game.

T

he 2 teams the last 2 years had too many weaknesses to go far and it was no surprise they lost.

 

This team needs a couple things before they will give us all the feeling they can do something special. 1. a QB that can get it done 2. OLine 3. LB's, not just 1, but we nneed 2 more studs to play along side of Burfict. 4. Safety

 

we get studs in those positions and this team could be the team, but until that happens it will be tough. The QB is the biggest part. Dalton looked better in the pocket his rookie year than he did last year imo. Last year he had happy feet and still couldn't hit wide open receivers down field, that worries me.

You still don't have any idea where I am on the Bengals. I'm not down on them, I simply don't think they are as great as you think they are.

 

Again, making playoffs back to back doesn't mean squat when you can't win in the postseason. 12 teams make the playoffs every year, that is more than 1/3rd the league. No real big accomplishment....but for the Bengals you are right, it is a HUGE accomplishment. With that said, they are an alright team, just not where they need tto be to have a chance to wiin it all yet.

 

Last year and the year before it was no surprise to the majority of fans who have followed the team for decades that they would lose to the teams they faced in the 1st round of the playoffs.

 

The best team they have had in the last 2 decades was the 2005 team, and that was tthe first team since their last playoff berth that I felt could go a long way in the post season going into the first playoff game.

T

he 2 teams the last 2 years had too many weaknesses to go far and it was no surprise they lost.

 

This team needs a couple things before they will give us all the feeling they can do something special. 1. a QB that can get it done 2. OLine 3. LB's, not just 1, but we nneed 2 more studs to play along side of Burfict. 4. Safety

 

we get studs in those positions and this team could be the team, but until that happens it will be tough. The QB is the biggest part. Dalton looked better in the pocket his rookie year than he did last year imo. Last year he had happy feet and still couldn't hit wide open receivers down field, that worries me.

 

There you go again with the whole saying I said they are great. Never did and another made up statements. Also bad example using what you and most fans thinking they would lose in first round. Considering you and most fans also didn't think they even make the playoffs unlike me. So that does not really work for you there my man. My opinion on how they will do has basically been the only one right for the last two years. Most people said they wouldn't even come close to playoffs.

 

Now as for things they need to improve on I agree with you on. The biggest thing being Andy he has to improve or else they won't make a run. This year will determine what his future should be as the Bengal quarterback. So we do agree on things. Just seems you are so unhappy about someone being positive about making positive steps for a change. They were so bad for so long it was not going to be a quick fix of making deep playoff runs after being ran bad for so long. But for them to actually be doing things right for a change and yes getting them closer to making a run if they can fix a few areas is something to be positive about and I don't apologize for it. Especially when if they weren't doing smart things I would be complaining about everything like you do. However I don't let the past effect the here and now. So they been running things better lately so I won't complain just to complain.

 

We both agree on things that need to be addressed so I don't know why we have this many discussions. Just seems like your unhappy that I am not unhappy and complaining about them. So you complain about me not complaining haha.

There you go again with the whole saying I said they are great. Never did and another made up statements. Also bad example using what you and most fans thinking they would lose in first round. Considering you and most fans also didn't think they even make the playoffs unlike me. So that does not really work for you there my man. My opinion on how they will do has basically been the only one right for the last two years. Most people said they wouldn't even come close to playoffs.

 

Now as for things they need to improve on I agree with you on. The biggest thing being Andy he has to improve or else they won't make a run. This year will determine what his future should be as the Bengal quarterback. So we do agree on things. Just seems you are so unhappy about someone being positive about making positive steps for a change. They were so bad for so long it was not going to be a quick fix of making deep playoff runs after being ran bad for so long. But for them to actually be doing things right for a change and yes getting them closer to making a run if they can fix a few areas is something to be positive about and I don't apologize for it. Especially when if they weren't doing smart things I would be complaining about everything like you do. However I don't let the past effect the here and now. So they been running things better lately so I won't complain just to complain.

 

We both agree on things that need to be addressed so I don't know why we have this many discussions. Just seems like your unhappy that I am not unhappy and complaining about them. So you complain about me not complaining haha.

Actually making the playoffs didn't surprise me in 2011, 2012 was a surprise somewhat but considering the easy schedule they had it wasn't world shattering.

 

I'm not unhappy with you being happy about improvements, I think they have made improvements also. They have improved their Oline from 2011 but it's still not there yet. They have improved their LB's from 2010, but 1 guy isn't enough.

 

What I see is improvements are little baby steps while I tend to think you think they are making huge strides.

 

Here is what worries me about this team and the way they are run. They have such a small window to take advantage of the great players they have that when they have opportunities to take advantage of improving the team so they can win now while they have the players they always tend not to pull the trigger and before you know it the great players we have at the time end up leaving. This off season would of been the perfect opportuntity to pick up another very solid, impact speedy receiver to not only give AJ more opportunties of single coverage but also give Dalton more options....they didn't pull the trigger. This offseason would of been a perfect opportuntiy to pick up oline help but they didn't pull the trigger. Now they have you and other fans believing that next year when they don't sign a big time FA because they have to spend their money on AJ and Geno etc. that they did the right thing when in reality they could of filled holes this year and then signed AJ and Geno etc. next year. Now they are at the point where next year they have no choice but to spend their money on those guys and not fill any other holes.

 

This off season was the perfect scenerio for them to improve the team for not only this year but the future because they had no "Must Sign" and pay big bucks for some of their own. Now they are stuck.

 

That is why I get frustrated. When the team has among the most money to spend in the league and don't take advantage of it it gets frustrating. Now they are stuck next year with only spending most of their cap space in the offseason by re-signing players they already have and if the Bengals don't go far in the post season this year then what good is it? They still have basically the same team that has lost in the 1st round the 2 previous years with no major improvement. Do you understand that? It's not like Collins or Rey Rey etc. will automatically become pro bowl caliber players, it's also not like the good players we have are getting any younger. Strike while the iron is hot, not while the iron is on it's last leg.

 

People seem to be very happy the Bengals just re-signed their own players during Free Agency yet not one single person on here have ever explained how that made this team any better than the team that has gotten embarrassed in the playoffs for the second year in a row. The reason is because they didn't improve, they stayed status quo and status quo isn't good enough to win a Super Bowl which should be everyone;s goal each and every year.

Actually making the playoffs didn't surprise me in 2011, 2012 was a surprise somewhat but considering the easy schedule they had it wasn't world shattering.

 

I'm not unhappy with you being happy about improvements, I think they have made improvements also. They have improved their Oline from 2011 but it's still not there yet. They have improved their LB's from 2010, but 1 guy isn't enough.

 

What I see is improvements are little baby steps while I tend to think you think they are making huge strides.

 

Here is what worries me about this team and the way they are run. They have such a small window to take advantage of the great players they have that when they have opportunities to take advantage of improving the team so they can win now while they have the players they always tend not to pull the trigger and before you know it the great players we have at the time end up leaving. This off season would of been the perfect opportuntity to pick up another very solid, impact speedy receiver to not only give AJ more opportunties of single coverage but also give Dalton more options....they didn't pull the trigger. This offseason would of been a perfect opportuntiy to pick up oline help but they didn't pull the trigger. Now they have you and other fans believing that next year when they don't sign a big time FA because they have to spend their money on AJ and Geno etc. that they did the right thing when in reality they could of filled holes this year and then signed AJ and Geno etc. next year. Now they are at the point where next year they have no choice but to spend their money on those guys and not fill any other holes.

 

This off season was the perfect scenerio for them to improve the team for not only this year but the future because they had no "Must Sign" and pay big bucks for some of their own. Now they are stuck.

 

That is why I get frustrated. When the team has among the most money to spend in the league and don't take advantage of it it gets frustrating. Now they are stuck next year with only spending most of their cap space in the offseason by re-signing players they already have and if the Bengals don't go far in the post season this year then what good is it? They still have basically the same team that has lost in the 1st round the 2 previous years with no major improvement. Do you understand that? It's not like Collins or Rey Rey etc. will automatically become pro bowl caliber players, it's also not like the good players we have are getting any younger. Strike while the iron is hot, not while the iron is on it's last leg.

 

People seem to be very happy the Bengals just re-signed their own players during Free Agency yet not one single person on here have ever explained how that made this team any better than the team that has gotten embarrassed in the playoffs for the second year in a row. The reason is because they didn't improve, they stayed status quo and status quo isn't good enough to win a Super Bowl which should be everyone;s goal each and every year.

 

 

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding…show him what he's won Bob. You hit the nail on the head Hellbird. I share your frustration and concern. There were opportunities in the off season to upgrade and were not taken advantaged of. Teams that win conference championships and super bowls "pull the trigger," to meet need!

Actually making the playoffs didn't surprise me in 2011, 2012 was a surprise somewhat but considering the easy schedule they had it wasn't world shattering.

 

I'm not unhappy with you being happy about improvements, I think they have made improvements also. They have improved their Oline from 2011 but it's still not there yet. They have improved their LB's from 2010, but 1 guy isn't enough.

 

What I see is improvements are little baby steps while I tend to think you think they are making huge strides.

 

Here is what worries me about this team and the way they are run. They have such a small window to take advantage of the great players they have that when they have opportunities to take advantage of improving the team so they can win now while they have the players they always tend not to pull the trigger and before you know it the great players we have at the time end up leaving. This off season would of been the perfect opportuntity to pick up another very solid, impact speedy receiver to not only give AJ more opportunties of single coverage but also give Dalton more options....they didn't pull the trigger. This offseason would of been a perfect opportuntiy to pick up oline help but they didn't pull the trigger. Now they have you and other fans believing that next year when they don't sign a big time FA because they have to spend their money on AJ and Geno etc. that they did the right thing when in reality they could of filled holes this year and then signed AJ and Geno etc. next year. Now they are at the point where next year they have no choice but to spend their money on those guys and not fill any other holes.

 

This off season was the perfect scenerio for them to improve the team for not only this year but the future because they had no "Must Sign" and pay big bucks for some of their own. Now they are stuck.

 

That is why I get frustrated. When the team has among the most money to spend in the league and don't take advantage of it it gets frustrating. Now they are stuck next year with only spending most of their cap space in the offseason by re-signing players they already have and if the Bengals don't go far in the post season this year then what good is it? They still have basically the same team that has lost in the 1st round the 2 previous years with no major improvement. Do you understand that? It's not like Collins or Rey Rey etc. will automatically become pro bowl caliber players, it's also not like the good players we have are getting any younger. Strike while the iron is hot, not while the iron is on it's last leg.

 

People seem to be very happy the Bengals just re-signed their own players during Free Agency yet not one single person on here have ever explained how that made this team any better than the team that has gotten embarrassed in the playoffs for the second year in a row. The reason is because they didn't improve, they stayed status quo and status quo isn't good enough to win a Super Bowl which should be everyone;s goal each and every year.

 

Now this may have been one of your best post yet. There was no made up things in your argument, it was just clearly stating your reasoning on things and I respect that. Everyone does have their own opinion, I didn't respect the many times which I have pointed out each and every time that you completely made up things that were not true. So very good post in explaining your thinking on things.

 

Now to address why I don't feel the same as you. The Bengals were one of the youngest teams in football last year and yet still were more successful than most teams. So yes keeping the same young team intact is getting better, because they will improve plus they are use to playing with each other and in the same scheme. They very well could have went out and got a speed receiver, or helped out on the line. However then they probably wouldn't have been able to keep some of the guys they did. Or if they did still keep them, then yes it would effect next year on having the money to sign the likes of Dunlap, Geno, Green, etc. Keeping the #6 defense intact is not a bad thing even if they have some areas they could improve on. Most likely Harrison will be better than Manny. Depending on what they do in the draft, they probably will be better at safety. On the D-line you have 2 D-lineman who basically red-shirted last year because of the depth already on the D-line. At corner you have your 1st round pick who basically red shirted. So on defense they are adding some to the mix from last year and now the draft. Now I do have the same concern as you about having Rey in the middle still, I don't agree with that.

 

As for offense and the offensive line who could have they have got to make it that much better? Andre Smith rated as one of the best tackles in football last year, so its not like other guys were so much better at that spot. Both are guards rated as some of the best guards, now center that could have been addressed. As for WR yes I would have liked to have seen them try to have gotten someone like a Greg Jennings, but not Wallace. What the Dolphins paid for Wallace would have been way to much even though the Bengals had the money. Wallace is a deep threat but as we all know and I even admit that Dalton struggles some with that deep ball. That would be a lot of money for a guy, especially when we will be signing Green to a huge deal. That would be most likely over 150 million spent on just two receivers if we signed Wallace. So that would also effect keeping some guys. There was not much out there that would have made that much sense to overspend on to get. What the Bengals are doing now has shown to be the most effective way to do things in the NFL. Now this way sucked for them for many years because they couldn't draft well, which makes this plan pointless if you don't draft well. However they have become pretty good in that aspect now too. They are also wanting to keep their young talented guys here, which you always talk about how they let young talented guys leave. Yet they are trying to do that this time, and still not happy? What they are doing is the smart thing, now is it going to get them to make that big next step? Maybe or maybe not I think that all will depend on the play of Dalton this year.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.