Highlands 44 Walton-Verona 40

Nice game by both teams. Game could have gone either way today. Good physical, challenging game for both teams preparing for the stretch run.

Jesse Daley gets 1000 today! Congrats to a great young lady!

Good luck to both teams!

A nice win for Highlands at home.

Very impressed with WV bigs, nothing flashy, just get it done. Walton seems to be missing a flat out shooter.

A very physical game today that Iam sure WV was caught off guard by Highlands toughness and in the end Highlands just made more plays.

I thought Highlands came out from the half and played nice pressure defense and out hustled WV with a 7=0 run that proved to be the difference in a very tough fought game between two heavyweights.

Walton is very well coached and should make a deep run into the playoffs this yr. Good luck to them the rest of the yr out:thumb:

First off, Congratulations Lady Bluebirds on the win. Now, some observations / thoughts from the game.

At the end of the first Highlands had a 13-6 lead and some definite momentum. At the start or early in the second quarter, WV switches to a zone that took all the air out of the Highlands sail. It ended up changing momentum over and the Bearcats come back to take a 4 point lead and all the momentum going into halftime. Pretty cool to see the adjustments and made for an exciting first half.

As stated, the first 3 minutes of the second half all went back to Highlands as they went on a 7-0 run. One thing that happened in that span was WV having to call a very early timeout to keep from a turnover. I think it was within the first minute of the third quarter. Later in the game, with around 30 seconds to go, WV had the ball and down 2. They did not call a timeout in that situation and it resulted in a lower percentage shot. I am not sure if they opted not to, or of they didn't have any left. It they didn't have any left, that early spent timeout turned out to be key and it would have been nice to have that one back. Walton beat Notre Dame earlier this year on a inbound play after a timeout.

Also, congratulations to Daley on the 1000th point free throw and it certainly deserved the recognition. Hitting the second of the two was very difficult with the announcer, the celebration and her emotion. That free throw with 50 seconds certainly left the door open for WV. Highlands gets the win, so no big deal, but if WV has a better final possession, at worst the game goes into overtime. Before anyone gets on my case...I am not criticizing. Just could have been an interesting and ironic twist.

Finally, I'm beginning to understand now how this reffing thing goes on the road out of region. That was talked about in the prediction thread, and seeing is believing.

All in all, good game for both teams. Congratulations to Highlands - hope the best for them in districts and hopefully regionals.

First off, Congratulations Lady Bluebirds on the win. Now, some observations / thoughts from the game.

At the end of the first Highlands had a 13-6 lead and some definite momentum. At the start or early in the second quarter, WV switches to a zone that took all the air out of the Highlands sail. It ended up changing momentum over and the Bearcats come back to take a 4 point lead and all the momentum going into halftime. Pretty cool to see the adjustments and made for an exciting first half.

As stated, the first 3 minutes of the second half all went back to Highlands as they went on a 7-0 run. One thing that happened in that span was WV having to call a very early timeout to keep from a turnover. I think it was within the first minute of the third quarter. Later in the game, with around 30 seconds to go, WV had the ball and down 2. They did not call a timeout in that situation and it resulted in a lower percentage shot. I am not sure if they opted not to, or of they didn't have any left. It they didn't have any left, that early spent timeout turned out to be key and it would have been nice to have that one back. Walton beat Notre Dame earlier this year on a inbound play after a timeout.

Also, congratulations to Daley on the 1000th point free throw and it certainly deserved the recognition. Hitting the second of the two was very difficult with the announcer, the celebration and her emotion. That free throw with 50 seconds certainly left the door open for WV. Highlands gets the win, so no big deal, but if WV has a better final possession, at worst the game goes into overtime. Before anyone gets on my case...I am not criticizing. Just could have been an interesting and ironic twist.

Finally, I'm beginning to understand now how this reffing thing goes on the road out of region. That was talked about in the prediction thread, and seeing is believing.

All in all, good game for both teams. Congratulations to Highlands - hope the best for them in districts and hopefully regionals.

Excellent recap TripleSevens. :thumb:

I agree that the Daley 1000 point chase and the free throws with less than a minute made for some interesting dynamics. This game could have gone either way and I too want to congratulate Jesse on a pressure packed final minute of play. If you are going to get your 1000th point on a free throw it may as well be a big one.