Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rule question: Slapping the backboard

Featured Replies

During the CCH v Scott game last night it seemed Scott defenders slapped the backboard a half a dozen times with no contact with the ball. When is this a violation? Coaches and fans were starting to yell for a call but I don't know the rule. It happens once in a while in every game but seemed excessive last night. These were not gentle slaps.

  • Replies 30
  • Views 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not 100% sure but as long as the slap is on an attempted block shot, then it is legal. Clyde can help us with this but I believe this is the rule.

This happened in one of the games Saturday at the Joe B Hall classic. The slapped backboard actually caused the ball to fall off the front of the rim and there was not a call. When should the call be made?

I'm not 100% sure but as long as the slap is on an attempted block shot, then it is legal. Clyde can help us with this but I believe this is the rule.

 

This happened in one of the games Saturday at the Joe B Hall classic. The slapped backboard actually caused the ball to fall off the front of the rim and there was not a call. When should the call be made?

 

If the official determines that it was a legitimate attempt to block the shot then you have nothing even if the backboard shakes and the ball comes off. No basket interference. No T. Play on. I thought all of Jackson's slaps were legit attempts to block the shot.

 

The ONLY call you can ever have when a backboard is slapped is a T.

 

So if a defender slaps the board and the shaking causes the ball to not go in AND the official says it was not a legit attempt all you have is a T. No basket awarded. Two shots plus the ball.

  • Author
If the official determines that it was a legitimate attempt to block the shot then you have nothing even if the backboard shakes and the ball comes off. No basket interference. No T. Play on. I thought all of Jackson's slaps were legit attempts to block the shot.

 

The ONLY call you can ever have when a backboard is slapped is a T.

 

So if a defender slaps the board and the shaking causes the ball to not go in AND the official says it was not a legit attempt all you have is a T. No basket awarded. Two shots plus the ball.

 

Pretty severe penalty but it is the rule. Makes it tough to call especially when the ball goes in.

Should be reviewed and rule should be rewritten. Basket good. Check the wording in basket interference rule, not the goaltending rule.

Should be reviewed and rule should be rewritten. Basket good. Check the wording in basket interference rule, not the goaltending rule.

 

BI rule is specific. Rule says it's BI when a player touches any part of the basket including the net WHILE the ball is ON or WITHIN the basket. The backboard is not part of the basket.

 

Slapping the backboard is not basket interference.

  • Author
BI rule is specific. Rule says it's BI when a player touches any part of the basket including the net WHILE the ball is ON or WITHIN the basket. The backboard is not part of the basket.

 

Slapping the backboard is not basket interference.

 

Did you find any rules violated in the CCH Scott game with regard to slapping the backboard.

Did you find any rules violated in the CCH Scott game with regard to slapping the backboard.

 

No.

I've never undertood how it is not ruled BI. When the backboard is slapped and causes the basket to move from the position it was in when the player shot the ball in my mind that is BI. I know the rule states otherwise, but I think this one needs looked at

I've never undertood how it is not ruled BI. When the backboard is slapped and causes the basket to move from the position it was in when the player shot the ball in my mind that is BI. I know the rule states otherwise, but I think this one needs looked at

 

The rule is clear. Backboards are not part of the equation.

 

You don't see it happen much anymore due the backboards being pretty solid.

 

My guess is the rule will never change.

  • Author
No.

 

Sorry, I didn't see your original opinion. Can you slap the board during warmups with no penalty?

The rule is clear. Backboards are not part of the equation.

 

You don't see it happen much anymore due the backboards being pretty solid.

 

My guess is the rule will never change.

 

I understand the backboards are not, but by slapping them they cause the basket to move. I have seen it happen about 3 times in about 18 games this year. It does not happen much I agree, but the backboards that hand from the ceiling will move when slapped

Sorry, I didn't see your original opinion. Can you slap the board during warmups with no penalty?

 

Yes.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.