Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rule question: Slapping the backboard

Featured Replies

You can see Jackson do this many times in the Covcath highlights video I posted.

 

Thanks for clearing that up, Clyde. We were all sitting together wondering the same thing last night.

  • Replies 30
  • Views 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From 2011-12 NFHS Rule Book

 

SECTION 3 PLAYER TECHNICAL

A player shall not:

ART. 4 . . . Illegally contact the backboard/ring by:

a. Placing a hand on the backboard or ring to gain an advantage.

b. Intentionally slapping or striking the backboard or causing the ring to vibrate while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket.

 

From 2008-09 NFHS Rule Book

 

2008-09 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

 

4. SLAPPING THE BACKBOARD. The incidents of players slapping the

backboard are increasing throughout the country. The rules specify that

“intentionally slapping or striking the backboard” is a technical foul (10-3-5). The

spirit and intent of that rule is to penalize a player for drawing attention to

him/herself or as a means of venting frustration. A player who strikes the

backboard in a legitimate attempt to block a try for goal should not be penalized.

Basket interference cannot be ruled in either of the above situations. Basket

interference only occurs if the ball is interfered with while in the cylinder above

the basket ring or by touching either the ball or any part of the basket while the

ball is on or within the basket (4-6).

Any part of the basket SHOULD include the backboard. They are attached which makes it part of the basket.

From 2011-12 NFHS Rule Book

 

SECTION 3 PLAYER TECHNICAL

A player shall not:

ART. 4 . . . Illegally contact the backboard/ring by:

a. Placing a hand on the backboard or ring to gain an advantage.

b. Intentionally slapping or striking the backboard or causing the ring to vibrate while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket.

 

From 2008-09 NFHS Rule Book

 

2008-09 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

 

4. SLAPPING THE BACKBOARD. The incidents of players slapping the

backboard are increasing throughout the country. The rules specify that

“intentionally slapping or striking the backboard” is a technical foul (10-3-5). The

spirit and intent of that rule is to penalize a player for drawing attention to

him/herself or as a means of venting frustration. A player who strikes the

backboard in a legitimate attempt to block a try for goal should not be penalized.

Basket interference cannot be ruled in either of the above situations. Basket

interference only occurs if the ball is interfered with while in the cylinder above

the basket ring or by touching either the ball or any part of the basket while the

ball is on or within the basket (4-6).

 

Thanks for the rule unbiased2011.

 

I wish all the refs knew this rule! I've saw a technical called on a boy about 3 weeks ago trying to block a break away layup from behind and hitting the backboard. It's the first and only time I have ever seen the call made. Of course, the call was made by a ref that has never been mistaken as a 'good ref'.

Thanks for the rule unbiased2011.

 

I wish all the refs knew this rule! I've saw a technical called on a boy about 3 weeks ago trying to block a break away layup from behind and hitting the backboard. It's the first and only time I have ever seen the call made. Of course, the call was made by a ref that has never been mistaken as a 'good ref'.

 

Agreed on it being unfortunate. I've sat in meetings where officials said it's also basket interference even though the rule does not support that.

Agreed on it being unfortunate. I've sat in meetings where officials said it's also basket interference even though the rule does not support that.

 

Clyde, I have a rules question not relating to smacking the backboard, but rather the double foul and second block charge during the Scott / CCH game. How can you have a double foul when one referee is signaling charge while the other is signaling block? I'm not sure how one play can produce a block and a charge. That one has me scratching my head.

The second call came later when the referee's repeated themselves by signaling block and charge. But this time the referee signaling block, and basket good simply just walked away and allowed the other official call the charge.

I know there can be a double foul but in these instances I don't believe a double fould can or should be called. Can you clarify this one for me?

Clyde, I have a rules question not relating to smacking the backboard, but rather the double foul and second block charge during the Scott / CCH game. How can you have a double foul when one referee is signaling charge while the other is signaling block? I'm not sure how one play can produce a block and a charge. That one has me scratching my head.

The second call came later when the referee's repeated themselves by signaling block and charge. But this time the referee signaling block, and basket good simply just walked away and allowed the other official call the charge.

I know there can be a double foul but in these instances I don't believe a double fould can or should be called. Can you clarify this one for me?

 

Simple. You have two officials with two different angles. Since it's a subjective call you can't tell one he didn't see it correctly. So, by rule, it's a foul on both players.

 

What happens next depends on where the ball was when the double foul/blarge happened. If one team had the ball (ie shot not int he air) then that team retains the ball. If the ball was released prior to the double foul then it goes to the arrow.

Simple. You have two officials with two different angles. Since it's a subjective call you can't tell one he didn't see it correctly. So, by rule, it's a foul on both players.

 

What happens next depends on where the ball was when the double foul/blarge happened. If one team had the ball (ie shot not int he air) then that team retains the ball. If the ball was released prior to the double foul then it goes to the arrow.

 

Thanks Clyde, I just have a hard time wrapping my head around how a charge and block are called on the same play. I can see in many other instances but these two things just seem contradictory

Thanks Clyde, I just have a hard time wrapping my head around how a charge and block are called on the same play. I can see in many other instances but these two things just seem contradictory

 

I get it. You would be right if ONE official called both. However, when you have two signaling at the same time how do you decide who gets to make the call?

I get it. You would be right if ONE official called both. However, when you have two signaling at the same time how do you decide who gets to make the call?

 

I would think proximity and positioning of the officials would be the overriding factor. I watch A LOT of game film and often see officials out of position and are baited into a call (see Ruthsatz head bobs) lol... But often wonder why all three officials are ball watching vs watching their area of responsibility. I guess one of lifes great mysteries ; )

I also believe the rule should be changed. Slapping the backboard should be basket interference if it effects the ball going in the basket.

For now, it is what it is.

I would think proximity and positioning of the officials would be the overriding factor. I watch A LOT of game film and often see officials out of position and are baited into a call (see Ruthsatz head bobs) lol... But often wonder why all three officials are ball watching vs watching their area of responsibility. I guess one of lifes great mysteries ; )

 

It started in one officials area and ended in another's. You talk about that prior to the game.

I also believe the rule should be changed. Slapping the backboard should be basket interference if it effects the ball going in the basket.

For now, it is what it is.

 

I believe the rule is good as it is currently written. If you have ever played and been able to block shots then you know that from time to time you inadvertantly hit the back board. I think it would be a travesty if you called basket interference or anything if someone touches the glass. Especially knowing that smacking the backboard impacts a very small percentage of shots.

The Blarge....a good pregame can get to this...sometimes. In a perfect world, each official will "hold" their call, and then defer to the primary, (easier said than done) however, the "sell" of a block or charge often leads to the blarge call.

I believe the rule is good as it is currently written. If you have ever played and been able to block shots then you know that from time to time you inadvertantly hit the back board. I think it would be a travesty if you called basket interference or anything if someone touches the glass. Especially knowing that smacking the backboard impacts a very small percentage of shots.

 

I would argue that very few slaps of the backboard are legitimate attempts to block a shot. Most know they can't go get it up by the square so it looks cool to slap the board.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.