New gym at Valley

What was the reasoning of the school board in building the gym at Valley rather than at a more centrally located school? To give the Valley area a boost? Why not at Shawnee or Irqguois------which would be a lot easier to get to for most of the county? Those areas could use a boost.

I like the idea of a new gym' date=' but I can't imagine why you wouldn't build something with a large lobby and plenty of parking.[/quote']

Agree. The gym itself is beautiful. They were even foresighted (is that a word) enough to make the floor college length and with shot clocks.

Sent from my Samsung Stratosphere using Forum Runner

Hosting the LIT for the first time. Beautiful gym. Very small lobby area that gets congested way to easilly and parking is an absolute nightmare. Regionals will be a complete zoo.

Sent from my Samsung Stratosphere using Forum Runner

Can't argue with any of that. Love the room itself; wish it was in a better location with better-planned peripherals.

I also heard that with Ft.Knox expanding it was built to possibly draw those kids and families. Heard from a JCPS athletic director that the Federal Government agreed to chip in 5 million to the project but required it to be the closest school to Ft. Knox. No proof of that just what the guy said. I think it will get better over time. Agree with the lobby, concessions, and entrance being to close together and not big enough. It would have been nice to have some chairback seats also. bleachers are tough to sit through for 4 straight games.

I hate the position that it is not convenient. The East End schools and Male have benefitted much more than the schools in the South End and West End (or in this case, the Southwest End). This is good for our community, which is far too geographically biased.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

I hate the position that it is not convenient. The East End schools and Male have benefitted much more than the schools in the South End and West End (or in this case, the Southwest End). This is good for our community, which is far too geographically biased.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

It's not about convenience for the East End. It's about convenience for everyone. Even if I lived in Shively, something located near downtown would STILL be closer than Valley Station.

Besides, it's not there as a positive development for Southwest Louisville, it's there because the Jefferson County AD lives 10 minutes from Valley High School and now his new office is a couple quick hops from his front door.

If you're going to build a gym for the school system, then make it a gym for the city, not a gym for Valley.

The 7th Region Tournament is going to be held this year in a gym that's 30 minutes away from the nearest 7th Region school.

The location is terrible and the execution of it could have been done much better. Nobody more than me is all for the development of underfunded areas of the county. Valley Station... Does. Not. Count. The city center needs development and new thinking as far as planning; the remotest suburbs of the county do not.

It's not about convenience for the East End. It's about convenience for everyone. Even if I lived in Shively, something located near downtown would STILL be closer than Valley Station.

Besides, it's not there as a positive development for Southwest Louisville, it's there because the Jefferson County AD lives 10 minutes from Valley High School and now his new office is a couple quick hops from his front door.

If you're going to build a gym for the school system, then make it a gym for the city, not a gym for Valley.

The 7th Region Tournament is going to be held this year in a gym that's 30 minutes away from the nearest 7th Region school.

The location is terrible and the execution of it could have been done much better. Nobody more than me is all for the development of underfunded areas of the county. Valley Station... Does. Not. Count. The city center needs development and new thinking as far as planning; the remotest suburbs of the county do not.

Hopefully, new Superintendent Hargens can put an end to this type of short-sighted stuff.