Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best coach in the 15th

Featured Replies

Jamie is working in the coal mines.

 

 

He is back at Morehead for the time being.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamie is working in the coal mines. This isnt pointed at anyone. Coach Hall(Mike) I know gets a bad rap on here due to some things that he has done but he is a very smart baseball minded man. Also he is respected by all of his players. He would do anything for us as well which means alot to our team knowing that. Some on here from JC that know him will agree.

Mike, obviously knows baseball. Watch him coach and noone will dispute that. I was also told that he had his pitcher hit Spears, Pikeville's leadoff hitter, in the region last year to start the game. What he didnt know the kid was hit something like 18 times last year. His bp coach said he took pitches off the body in bp just to condition himself for it. However the strategy didnt work and it is not part of the game to do it on purpose. I hope he changes some of his philosophy and becomes the great coach he could be. A guy who played at Louisville, obviously knows baseball.

 

I think his temperament has caused him some grief and I hope he gets that under control. I saw him argue with fans last year, he has to thicken his skin a little or people will use that against him.

He is back at Morehead for the time being.

Glad to here he is pursuing his education. I wish him the best. :thumb:

  • Author

I agree Buck. He has done a good job as far as the actual baseball part. THey are much better than they used to be. But he argues with players of other teams and fans. Like yousay, you have to be able to control those kinds of things. I think he has had enough talent to win a regional tournament over the past few years, but they alwasy seem to blow the big one.

SC had the best team in 2003, and got upset.

  • Author

That is the year Allen Central won. Lawson blew it that year not pitching Hunter Smith against JC. I guess that happens sometimes when you are trying to set your rotation in the tournament.

That is the year Allen Central won. Lawson blew it that year not pitching Hunter Smith against JC. I guess that happens sometimes when you are trying to set your rotation in the tournament.

Sometimes you can plan too far ahead. But he did what he thought he had to do to win the region. Cant argue with his success. He made the right calls last year and won.

  • Author

If i'm not mistaken, he was trying to have Smith for Sheldon Clark. Who EVERYONE thought would be in the finals. Sound thinking....but sometimes baseball works that way.

 

Those pitching choices are hard i'm sure in the tournament. Coaches know that they will be second guessed if they make the wrong choice.

If i'm not mistaken, he was trying to have Smith for Sheldon Clark. Who EVERYONE thought would be in the finals. Sound thinking....but sometimes baseball works that way.

 

Those pitching choices are hard i'm sure in the tournament. Coaches know that they will be second guessed if they make the wrong choice.

You are a genius if you are right and an idiot if you are wrong. You are correct in his strategy that year and it made sense. Hindsight is 20-20.

  • Author

it's what a lot of fans enjoy doing...second guessing. but we don't have to actually make the decisions!!

That is the year Allen Central won. Lawson blew it that year not pitching Hunter Smith against JC. I guess that happens sometimes when you are trying to set your rotation in the tournament.
If I am not mistaken(and I'm not in this case, because I have the game on film) it was Smith that blew up in the final innings against Johnson Central that sealed the deal for Central against Pikeville. The game was still pretty much in question until Lawson inserted Smith in relief. Smith was NOT Pikeville's #1 in my opinion. There may be some from Pikeville that disagree, but I saw him pitch week in and week out the previous summer and fall, and he was very seldom a pitcher that you could count on. I saw him with only one quality outing the entire summer and fall. As a matter of fact I would have rated him about the #4 pitcher on the team made up of primarily JC and Pikeville players. I dont think that Lawson messed up by any means when he did not start Smith against JC. Lawson may have in fact used that stategy, but I dont think that the end result would have been any different.
That is the year Allen Central won. Lawson blew it that year not pitching Hunter Smith against JC. I guess that happens sometimes when you are trying to set your rotation in the tournament.

A lot of coaches make that mistake. But you can't play two unless you win one.

A lot of coaches make that mistake. But you can't play two unless you win one.
Second guessing will result when a pitching plan does not work.

 

It is always the goal to have the best for the championship game but things happen along the way.

Mike, obviously knows baseball. Watch him coach and noone will dispute that. I was also told that he had his pitcher hit Spears, Pikeville's leadoff hitter, in the region last year to start the game. What he didnt know the kid was hit something like 18 times last year. His bp coach said he took pitches off the body in bp just to condition himself for it. However the strategy didnt work and it is not part of the game to do it on purpose. I hope he changes some of his philosophy and becomes the great coach he could be. A guy who played at Louisville, obviously knows baseball.

 

I think his temperament has caused him some grief and I hope he gets that under control. I saw him argue with fans last year, he has to thicken his skin a little or people will use that against him.

I disagree Buck Master, I don't know if Mike told his pitcher to hit the lead off man or not, but it is as much a part of the game as brush backs, double plays, peanut and cracker jacks. I'm not saying with intent to hurt or throw at someones head but sometimes it's a matter of gaining respect and protecting your teammates. When I played and runners were on if you got hit intentionally and your pitcher didn't have the guts to protect you, the pitcher had his own team to deal with. Maybe I'm old school but that's baseball to me.

I disagree Buck Master, I don't know if Mike told his pitcher to hit the lead off man or not, but it is as much a part of the game as brush backs, double plays, peanut and cracker jacks. I'm not saying with intent to hurt or throw at someones head but sometimes it's a matter of gaining respect and protecting your teammates. When I played and runners were on if you got hit intentionally and your pitcher didn't have the guts to protect you, the pitcher had his own team to deal with. Maybe I'm old school but that's baseball to me.

Not complaining but when the leadoff man is on base then he scores about 70 percent of the time. Not a good strategy when the kid stole about 35 bases last year either. Nothing like jumping out on top early. Brushbacks are different than intentionally hitting someone. I am old school and played in the 80's and no way am I giving this kid a base because you just gave him a double for nothing. No respect was gained because the kid would have taken that 4 times in that game to help the team. He wasnt hit 18 times intentionally and actually had been in a slump hitting. Not very smart.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.