Willie Taggart to USF

BIG BLACK JACK

Willie Taggart on Tony Dungy....

"When he came in the room and I heard his voice, I stood up pretty quickly," said former Western Kentucky University coach Willie Taggart, who was introduced Saturday afternoon as the new leader of the Bulls football program. "For him to sit there and ask some of the questions, I said to myself, 'I better sit up straight and give the right answers.' "

Dungy, the former Bucs and Indianapolis Colts coach who resides in Tampa, was asked by USF athletic director Doug Woolard to participate in the interview process.

"To be honest, I'm not so sure how I got involved in it," Dungy said, laughing, from New York, where he was preparing for his weekend job on NBC's "Sunday Night Football" broadcast. "I guess I'm just a fan of USF football and want to see it do well."

Dungy plays key role in USF Bulls hiring Taggart | TBO.com

Nice guy to have in your corner. :sssh:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice article from Chad Bishop in the BG Daily News.

It was not about the money. You may want to believe it was, but that’s not the whole story.

Willie Taggart left his alma mater, Western Kentucky, on Friday to start a new chapter at the University of South Florida. He’ll be paid more than double what he made in Bowling Green and it’s easy on the surface to say the 36-year-old did what we all would do – leave just for more money.

But I know better.

If community gossip has any speck of truth to it, boosters and friends of the program could have made Taggart the highest-paid coach in the Sun Belt Conference. He would have made roughly the same amount of money he’ll be making at his new gig.

He knew all this.

More here.

^ Swamp that interview is truly Willie T. You get what you see with him. I look for a quick turn around at USF. I haven't seen their schedule for next season but I will go out on a limb and say 7-8 wins will happen.

OOC Schedule...

Aug.31 McNeese State

Sept. 7 at Michigan State

Sept. 14 FAU

Nov. 30 Miami

Conference Schedule ...

Home: Louisville, Cincinnnati, Memphis, and SMU

Away: UConn, UCF, Houston, and Rutgers

If he gets 6 wins, the fan base will be ecstatic.

Q&A: USF coach Willie Taggart, Part II - Big East Blog - ESPN

Here's Coach T's plan for next year.

Adelson: Speaking of championships, I know USF fans are going to want to know -- do you have a timetable for when you get win one?

WT: I’m planning on doing it next year. I don’t know about anyone else. We’re not lining up just to go out and play. We’re trying to win championships and it starts now. There’s no waiting. Will it be next year? Not sure. But we’re sure enough going to work our tails off to see to it that we can get closer to that goal.

As a fan, how could you not get excited.

• 5 weeks later...

WKU assistant coaches Ray Woodie, Walt Wells, Nick Sheridan, Sharrod Everett, and Stu Holt follow Coach T to USF.

Former Bengals and Raiders DC, Chuck Bresnahan is the new Bulls DC and former Bucs defensive backs coach, Ron Cooper is the new DB and Assistant Head Coach.

This is off-thread but it does have to do with a former WKU QB like Taggart. There was talk that Kawaun (sp) Jakes the QB this past season was going to play for the WKU's basketball team. Has this come about?

Yes, though he's only appeared in 2 games and has less than 2 minutes of playing time accumulated.

• 2 weeks later...
The supposed goal is to create a wall around the Tampa Bay Area, much like Miami did around the Miami-Dade Metroplex in the 80s. This is a great first step.

The Tampa Bay Area includes Hernando, Citrus, Pasco, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Manatee, Polk, and Sarasota Counties.

Willie Taggart is from Manatee.

I'm excited, guys. Can't hide it.

Congrats :thumb::thumb:, I believe that you got a heckuva coach. I wish USF well.

• 1 month later...

Coach Taggart announced additions to the USF staff...

Alabama director of player personnel Paul Gonnella has been hired to perform the same job on the Bulls staff. Stu Holt, who held that position will move to special teams coordinator.

Marquel Blackwell was hired as director of player development. Because of new NCAA rules giving the ability of non-coaches to recruit, Blackwell, a former USF quarterback and Freedom High head coach, will also be able to aid in recruiting.

Taggart Announces Staff Additions - GoUSFBulls.com—Official Athletics Web Site of the University of South Florida

Tony Dungy was involved in Taggarts hire, now Chucky comes to visit. He's probably there in some capacity regarding his QB Camp. He uses USF's practice fields for the show. You would think these ties to the NFL coaching establishment would pay off at some point or another, wouldn't you?

USF Football ‏@USFFootball

Coach Gruden visiting with @CoachTaggart and his former DC with the Raiders Chuck Bresnehan. pic.twitter.com/vs3oK7LkVW

btg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting hire...

To replace Larry Scott at running backs coach, Coach T has hired Miami Central head football coach Telly Lockette. Before his job at Central, Lockette spent 5 years as an assistant at his Alma Mater, Miami Northwestern.

• 1 month later...