Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

8th Region

Featured Replies

With basketball season just around the corner, would like to stir up some debate on the 8th Region. My order of teams looks like this:

1) Walton Verona

2) Simon Kenton

3) Anderson County

4) Gallatin County

5) South Oldham

6) Owen County

7) Collins

8) Shelby County

9) Henry County

10) Grant County

11) Oldham County

12) Trimble County

13) North Oldham

14) Williamstown

15) Spencer County

16) Carroll County

17) Eminence

I put this together without a ton of thought. Feel free to comment.

  • Replies 49
  • Views 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With basketball season just around the corner, would like to stir up some debate on the 8th Region. My order of teams looks like this:

1) Walton Verona

2) Simon Kenton

3) Anderson County

4) Gallatin County

5) South Oldham

6) Owen County

7) Collins

8) Shelby County

9) Henry County

10) Grant County

11) Oldham County

12) Trimble County

13) North Oldham

14) Williamstown

15) Spencer County

16) Carroll County

17) Eminence

I put this together without a ton of thought. Feel free to comment.

 

I wont debate this too much, just a couple of random thoughts.

 

South Oldham - Id move down a few spots. Perhaps to 8 or 9. I think they will struggle this year. New coach, no more Whitfield and Dye.

 

Walton Verona - Although many may be surprised you put them so high, I am not. They did lose a great group of Seniors that was much of their perimeter game and leadership, however they have so much coming back plus some nice younger talent. They will be fine.

 

Gallatin County - For me, they could be the surprise of the 8th. They will be dangerous. I don't think they will be consistent, but they will be good. If their 3's are falling, they will be tough to beat. You have them at 4, they could be worthy of a 3.

  • Author
I wont debate this too much, just a couple of random thoughts.

 

South Oldham - Id move down a few spots. Perhaps to 8 or 9. I think they will struggle this year. New coach, no more Whitfield and Dye.

 

Walton Verona - Although many may be surprised you put them so high, I am not. They did lose a great group of Seniors that was much of their perimeter game and leadership, however they have so much coming back plus some nice younger talent. They will be fine.

 

Gallatin County - For me, they could be the surprise of the 8th. They will be dangerous. I don't think they will be consistent, but they will be good. If their 3's are falling, they will be tough to beat. You have them at 4, they could be worthy of a 3.

Thanks for the respone! I agree about South Oldham, they probably should be a couple of spots lower. Will be able to get a better feel for the 8th by Christmas. Walton lost a ton of talent, but will still be very good with possible 8th Region POY, Courtney Sandlin, and are VERY well coached. The Anderson County faithful thought they would be talking about their possible 3rd consecutive trip to Diddle by now, but it has not quite turned out that way, they could win the 8th with their experience. Yes, Gallatin will be very dangerous if threes are falling, they could be tough to guard, but they will have to rebound, which I think they will. Gallatin might be one of the more hardnosed teams in the 8th, and are VERY unselfish.
Thanks for the respone! I agree about South Oldham, they probably should be a couple of spots lower. Will be able to get a better feel for the 8th by Christmas. Walton lost a ton of talent, but will still be very good with possible 8th Region POY, Courtney Sandlin, and are VERY well coached. The Anderson County faithful thought they would be talking about their possible 3rd consecutive trip to Diddle by now, but it has not quite turned out that way, they could win the 8th with their experience. Yes, Gallatin will be very dangerous if threes are falling, they could be tough to guard, but they will have to rebound, which I think they will. Gallatin might be one of the more hardnosed teams in the 8th, and are VERY unselfish.

 

I recall when this Lady Bearcats group was state summer AAU champs, or some type of summer-ball accolade a few years ago - maybe when they were 8th graders or something. At any rate, this reply only goes proves one point: "SUMMER WINS AND MIDDLE SCHOOL/JUNIOR HIGH WINS DON'T AMOUNT TO SQUAT WHEN IT COMES TO REGULAR-SEASON VARSITY GIRLS' BASKETBALL!" Anyone/everyone who gets caught up the the euphroic gasses from summertime wins is making a huge mistake. Just saying ... Maybe/hopefully the group will live up to the promis shown early on, but the label placed on them has only served to be an albatross around their neck thus far.

  • Author
I recall when this Lady Bearcats group was state summer AAU champs, or some type of summer-ball accolade a few years ago - maybe when they were 8th graders or something. At any rate, this reply only goes proves one point: "SUMMER WINS AND MIDDLE SCHOOL/JUNIOR HIGH WINS DON'T AMOUNT TO SQUAT WHEN IT COMES TO REGULAR-SEASON VARSITY GIRLS' BASKETBALL!" Anyone/everyone who gets caught up the the euphroic gasses from summertime wins is making a huge mistake. Just saying ... Maybe/hopefully the group will live up to the promis shown early on, but the label placed on them has only served to be an albatross around their neck thus far.
I would imagine that is the first time I have EVER heard those two words put together, LOL! Good assessment.

Anderson has the best talent from top to bottom in the region...whether they will finally put it all together this year remains to be seen. I dont think Anderson has been a disappointment as much as the 8th has had some really nice teams over the last couple of years. Walton/South/Anderson have all 3 had outstanding teams the past 3 years, and have had some really good battles in the regional tournament that really could have gone either way.

I should say, I would call Anderson's performance in the regional tournament last year disappointing and I think anyone from AC would say the same thing. I think there is renewed optimism around that some of the factors that led to a disappointing ending have been eliminated.

  • Author
Anderson has the best talent from top to bottom in the region...whether they will finally put it all together this year remains to be seen. I dont think Anderson has been a disappointment as much as the 8th has had some really nice teams over the last couple of years. Walton/South/Anderson have all 3 had outstanding teams the past 3 years, and have had some really good battles in the regional tournament that really could have gone either way.
They have a lot of talent, but that does not always bring home regional titles. That talent has several weaknesses, just like everyone else, that have been exploited the past couple of years. If I remember correctly, the Anderson County paper had a line in it that stated "Dynasty put on hold" after WV defeated AC for the 20118th Region title.
I would imagine that is the first time I have EVER heard those two words put together, LOL! Good assessment.

 

Thanks, I take that as a positive -- too bad I misspelled "euphoric," though. I get in a hurry and make too many doggone typos! Spell check is my best friend.

Here are my thoughts on the top 10 teams in the eighth along with my top 10 player rankings. I am ranking Anderson County first only because they have the 2 best players in the region, IMO. But I would not be suprised if Walton goes to Diddle a third straight time. Some might say I have South too high(#4), but having watched the four returning seniors for years, I am pretty confident that they will surprise a lot of people. The regional champ will most likely be between WV and AC.

 

Teams---------------------Players

 

1. Anderson County ----------1. Eriel McKee--AC

2. Walton Verona ------------2. MacKenzie Cann--AC

3. Simon Kenton----------- 3. Courtney Sandlin -WV

4. South Oldham ------------4. Aaliyah Wells -Collins

5. Gallatin County----------5. Ashley McMurtrey--OC

6. Collins --------------6. Billie Hern-Grant(Morehead)

7. Grant County ------- 7. Hannah Dossett -Gallatin

8. Owen County------- 8. Abby Owings - SK

9. Henry County --------9. Brooke Dossett --Gallatin

10. Oldham County------ 10. Hannah Neely-Owen

I was trying to look at schedules for Anderson, SK and Walton. SK's and Anderson's are not complete on the KHSAA site, however Walton's schedule appears to be mostly complete. I must say, Walton's schedule is loaded.

 

Regular season will include games vs. SK twice, Notre Dame, Paul Laurence Dunbar, Newport Central, Highlands. They will play in the Gateway Holiday Classic Tournament with the following line up and possible opponents as listed on another thread - Paul Laurence Dunbar, Montgomery Country, Louisville Butler, Paducah Tilghman, Magoffin County, Madison Central, and Marion County. They also are in the Louisville Invitational tournament that is always loaded. The schools in it that I can tell for now are Sacred Heart, Mercy and Glascow.

 

That is a tough schedule, possibly insane depending on how those tournament brackets shape out. They should be very tested and much experienced by season end.

  • Author
Here are my thoughts on the top 10 teams in the eighth along with my top 10 player rankings. I am ranking Anderson County first only because they have the 2 best players in the region, IMO. But I would not be suprised if Walton goes to Diddle a third straight time. Some might say I have South too high(#4), but having watched the four returning seniors for years, I am pretty confident that they will surprise a lot of people. The regional champ will most likely be between WV and AC.

 

Teams---------------------Players

 

1. Anderson County ----------1. Eriel McKee--AC

2. Walton Verona ------------2. MacKenzie Cann--AC

3. Simon Kenton----------- 3. Courtney Sandlin -WV

4. South Oldham ------------4. Aaliyah Wells -Collins

5. Gallatin County----------5. Ashley McMurtrey--OC

6. Collins --------------6. Billie Hern-Grant(Morehead)

7. Grant County ------- 7. Hannah Dossett -Gallatin

8. Owen County------- 8. Abby Owings - SK

9. Henry County --------9. Brooke Dossett --Gallatin

10. Oldham County------ 10. Hannah Neely-Owen

They will have a real HARD time scoring in my opinion, although I could be wrong.
I was trying to look at schedules for Anderson, SK and Walton. SK's and Anderson's are not complete on the KHSAA site, however Walton's schedule appears to be mostly complete. I must say, Walton's schedule is loaded.

 

Regular season will include games vs. SK twice, Notre Dame, Paul Laurence Dunbar, Newport Central, Highlands. They will play in the Gateway Holiday Classic Tournament with the following line up and possible opponents as listed on another thread - Paul Laurence Dunbar, Montgomery Country, Louisville Butler, Paducah Tilghman, Magoffin County, Madison Central, and Marion County. They also are in the Louisville Invitational tournament that is always loaded. The schools in it that I can tell for now are Sacred Heart, Mercy and Glascow.

 

That is a tough schedule, possibly insane depending on how those tournament brackets shape out. They should be very tested and much experienced by season end.

 

You are correct, their schedule is brutal. It's amazing how many big time schools they are playing. Walton will lose some games with a schedule like this but it will make them a better team come tournament time.

My Top 10 would be:

1. Anderson County

2. Walton Verona

3. Collins

4. Simon Kenton

5. Owen County

6. Gallatin County

7. South Oldham

8. Shelby County

9. Grant County

10. Henry County

 

I think it will come down to Anderson and Walton if both teams stay healthy and improve as the year goes on. Walton did lose alot and it will take them some time to get some of the younger players the experience they need to make a run at it. I look for Collins to be a possible surprise team and be a threat in the 8th. Should be a fun year.

Gallatin County is a scrapy bunch who can light it up from the perimeter but I think their lack of size will hurt them against teams who have quality interior players. They do have one of the best coaches in the region and I'm sure Coach Roberts will work on things to overcome this barrier.

Grant County has a new coach (Coach West) and one of the best players in the region. Coach West should bring new life to the Lady Braves and with the progression of the younger players they will win several games. My biggest concern about Grant is that their schedule is not real strong and this may effect them come tournament time.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.