Volleyball and sportsmanship

Went to a volleyball game recently and left shaking my head. Couldn't believe what I saw. During one of the games, the best player on the home team said, "You're full of blank" to one of the officials, and she wasn't even thrown out of the game. I'm old, but I'm pretty good at lip reading. The ref must have heard what she said too because he pulled out a yellow card, even though I don't really know what that means. All it did was rile everybody up. Her teammates seemed to be CELEBRATING the fact that she got away with it. I haven't been to see a v-ball game (match?) in years, but is that how girls normally act? Then I think he gave the girl's coach a red card--he seemed to be directing it toward the bench--yet no one left the gym.

To make the evening even worse, the kids in the crowd were downright rude. Isn't somebody like a teacher or the athletic director supposed to control that? I may be old, but why are teenagers allowed to act like that? Why are ATHLETES allowed to act like that?

Edited by mcpapa

As to the player and the reported statement I have to think it's worthy of an ejection. It would be in basketball.

As to the students in the crowd it may just be, as you said, that you're old. Any examples of what they were doing?

As to the player and the reported statement I have to think it's worthy of an ejection. It would be in basketball.

As to the students in the crowd it may just be, as you said, that you're old. Any examples of what they were doing?

Would the ejection be because it was a statement directed at an official. Should a player be ejected if he/she says to an official "your crazy"? Is there a rule that dictates ejection of a player over language or other similar matters?

I like how a refs in basketball gives a kid the stare down if he is starting to complain about a call. No harm no foul.

I hear worse banter every game in boys and girls basketball that goes unpunished but it is seldom directed at the refs.

As to the original poster, foul language is pretty common on most playing fields and probably has been for a long time. Bashing the officials is never tolerated. And I didn't even know there were cards in Volleyball.

Went to a volleyball game recently and left shaking my head. Couldn't believe what I saw. During one of the games, the best player on the home team said, "You're full of blank" to one of the officials, and she wasn't even thrown out of the game. I'm old, but I'm pretty good at lip reading. The ref must have heard what she said too because he pulled out a yellow card, even though I don't really know what that means. All it did was rile everybody up. Her teammates seemed to be CELEBRATING the fact that she got away with it. I haven't been to see a v-ball game (match?) in years, but is that how girls normally act? Then I think he gave the girl's coach a red card--he seemed to be directing it toward the bench--yet no one left the gym.

To make the evening even worse, the kids in the crowd were downright rude. Isn't somebody like a teacher or the athletic director supposed to control that? I may be old, but why are teenagers allowed to act like that? Why are ATHLETES allowed to act like that?

Been to many many volleyball games and I have never heard of a yellow or red card in a volleyball game, only in soccer games. Language like this tends to get out of hand in many sports these days and should not be tolerated IMO.

Edited by mcpapa

Would the ejection be because it was a statement directed at an official. Should a player be ejected if he/she says to an official "your crazy"? Is there a rule that dictates ejection of a player over language or other similar matters?

I like how a refs in basketball gives a kid the stare down if he is starting to complain about a call. No harm no foul.

I hear worse banter every game in boys and girls basketball that goes unpunished but it is seldom directed at the refs.

As to the original poster, foul language is pretty common on most playing fields and probably has been for a long time. Bashing the officials is never tolerated. And I didn't even know there were cards in Volleyball.

Such a statement directed at an official would result in an ejection 99.9% of the time. It becomes flagrant at that point.

"You're crazy" would result in a T without question.

Watch a game refereed by an elderly gentleman in NE KY and get back to me.

In High School volleyball the cards mean this:

yellow=warning

red=loss of point (no ejection)

red and yellow shown together= ejection, but not clear if according to KHSAA rules, if it's for a set (which you could then play in the following set) or the match.

Note that the cards mean different things in club volleyball than High School Volleyball.

I've seen a few yellows and a red once. It's almost always for jawing across the net at the other team, not the officials. Reds come out if you drop kick the ball into the stands, pull the hair of your opponent at the net, threaten the other team, stuff like that.

The officials do have them in their pocket - part of their standard volleyball equipment.

To the OP I would say go watch 2 traditional volleyball schools play - like St. Henry v Assumption last night - and you won't see any hint of this.