Lone Oak QB out 5-7 weeks

As mentioned in the prediction thread, Lone Oak's standout QB Cole Ousley will be out 5-7 weeks with a third degree seperation of his throwing shoulder suffered late in the third quarter against Paducah Tilghman this past Saturday.

The reigns get handed to freshman QB Zyaire Hughes who brings athleticism, speed, and a decent arm to the position. Hughes also has knowledge of the basic playbook since it is used by the 7th and 8th grade teams.

Zyaire Hughes, also known as 'Fish', was the starting QB on the middle school teams.

He's 6'0 and 170...though he looks bigger on the field. He has speed and quickness...very athletic. He was moved to wide receiver to take advantage of his athlecism instead of just solely being the backup QB.

He does have a very good arm. I saw him play as an 8th grader and he threw a bullet from the 30 to the other 30. He probably threw the best single pass either for Paducah Tilghman or Lone Oak Saturday night. Hughes also has great leadership skills for his young age....takes personal responsibility for his mistakes almost to a fault.

I've heard that by the time he's a senior he could well be the best player ever produced from Lone Oak (granted consolidation is next year.)

The high school playbook is used by the middle school teams so Hughes doesn't have to learn a lot of new schemes.

Highes should be able to ease into the position this week facing a weak Hopkinsville team. The running game was surprisingly effect against Tilghman, so if that continues it can only help his development. The next two games after Hoptown will be tests...at 6A Marshall County and at Christian County.

Ousley could possible return by October 12 against Hopkins Central, the third game of the district schedule (Sep 21 Calloway County, Sep 28 at Owensboro).

I know Zyaire Hughes and he should do a good job in holding down the fort during this time. Im sure at times he will struggle at times like any freshman would, but he has both the physical and mental abilities to succeed. Keep me/BGP posted on Zyaire and how he does.