Bishop Brossart 6 Newport 1

It's always good when you don't have a particularly good day hitting but still find ways to win. That was true today as Bishop Brossart's highly productive middle of the lineup managed just a 2 for 19 hitting day but Brossart still defeated Newport at Newport 6-1. The Lady 'Stangs managed solid defense and timely hitting to win their 19th game and topping a much improved 14-6 Lady Cat team. The win enabled them to remain undefeated in the NKAC. They are now 7-0 with one game remaining.

Tricia Kramer got things rolling in the first with a single and a stolen base. She scored on an infield hit off the bat of Erica Riedeman and a throwing error. The game remained 1-0 til the fourth as Brossart left 5 runners on base in scoring position. Taylor Hardy singled with two out in the fourth and moved to second on another Newport miscue and then raced home on a single by designated hitter Emily Greis. Perhaps the big hit of the game was in the fifth leading 2-0. Molly Williams tripled and Maria Greis reached on an infield single. Then, with one out, Allie Anstead drilled a single to center to score both runners and make it 4-0. They tacked on two more in the sixth on Erica Riedeman's single and Molly Williams ground out to make it 6-0.

Meanwhile, freshman pitcher Karlie Shackelford retired the first 15 Newport batters and had a 19 batter no hitter before Tyler singled thru the hole at short to lead off the seventh. Raleigh's single to left plated Tyler with their second hit and only run. Shack finished her 14th win against 6 losses off with a two hitter and struck out 6 while not walking a batter. The varsity is now 19-7 and will take a long weekend off before doing battle with St. Henry and Dixie Heights next week as well as the Bourbon County Invitational.

The junior varsity team defeated Newport 21-1 in just three innings. Mary kay Reilly tossed the two hitter. 8th grader Riley Orth went three for four with 4 rbis, sophomore Jamie Reis went 3 for 4 with 3 rbis and a triple, and 8th grader Amanda Graus was 2 for 2 had two walks and 4 rbis. Over all Brossart won their 10th game banging out 17 hits. They play Cooper and Notre Dame tomorrow in the JV Tourney.

Allie Anstead Pic:

anstead.jpg

I don't recall seeing a report on the Simon Kenton game from the day before???????:idunno:

Didn't SK win 9-7? Would have liked to have heard a game summary. I'm sure a all runs we're unearned!! (:

Don't know much if anything about Newport but a couple of years ago they were really bad, not sure what their record is this year but seems like their scores have been pretty respectable. Seems as if they are moving in the right direction.

Don't know much if anything about Newport but a couple of years ago they were really bad, not sure what their record is this year but seems like their scores have been pretty respectable. Seems as if they are moving in the right direction.

Didn't I just read in the paper they have a freshman pitcher who has 5 or so 1 hitters and then just threw a no hitter.

4/30 SOFT: Newport no-hits Cov. Latin

BGH

I think if I am going to have any thoughts on this I would need to full story. Did he refuse to shake hands or did he just simply not shake hands. It is my understanding that BGH is the score keeper so I am not sure there is a need for him to shake hands, does he have an injury that would make it difficult for him to go through the line? Or was BGH acting out and doing this out of anger? love softball drama!!