Somerset's Taylor Speaks Signs With Georgetown

Somerset Offensive Lineman/Longsnapper Taylor Speaks has signed an academic and football scholarship to play for Georgetown College this fall.

As his father I'm excited to get to see him continue his playing career. Georgetown is close enough to allow me to get to watch his games the next 4 years.

Below is the text from the Commonwealth Journal article on the signing.

Somerset's Taylor Speaks Signs With Georgetown College

By TIM HYDEN, CJ Correspondent

Commonwealth Journal

Taylor Speaks has been a fixture in the Somerset High School athletic program during his teenage years. Now Speaks is set to become a fixture on the next level after agreeing this weej to play college football for the Georgetown College Tigers.

“I’m very excited,” said Speaks. “I’m almost at a loss for words because I feel so truly blessed to have this opportunity.”

By choosing George-town Speaks joins a storied program that has brought three NAIA National Championships back home to central Ken-tucky. Head Coach Bill Cronin has turned Georgetown into a model program in his 15 seasons at the helm. Cronin has been named Mid-South Conference Coach of the Year six times, National Coach of the Year twice, and is coming off a 2011 campaign which saw him named as the Regional Coach of the Year by the American Football Coaches Association. The Tigers made it to the national semifinals and finished ranked #3 in the nation with a 12-1 record last season. Their most successful run came in the years 1999-2004, which saw them go to four national title games—winning two of them.

Edited by Ram
Copyright

Congratulations to Taylor!!! I wish him nothing but the best of luck going forward. And also congrats to AJG. I know how proud you must be. I'm glad Georgetown is close enough for you to be able to watch Taylor's college career. Congratulations!!!!!

Congrats Average Joe! You'll get to see his home games, but also many of his road games since Georgetown plays at Campbellsville, Cumberland, Union, etc. Young man should do really well there!

Thank you guys.

• 2 weeks later...

The young man is walking into a strong program. G-Town finished 3 in the country last season NAIA, loosing to Carrol in the national semis. Georgetown is not rebuilding this season, they are reloading. Mr. Speaks will have a few new pieces of jewlery before his playing days are over. Congrats!