Top 10 players at Sweet 16

Top 10 players at Sweet 16

Posted on March 21, 2012 by Jody Demling

Looking back there was a lot of individual talent in the boys’ Sweet 16 last week in Rupp Arena.

Some of the top prospects played up to par, while others didn’t play well or didn’t last long with their team.

I had our high school writer, Jason Frakes, help me try and identify the top players in the event.

Here’s our take on the top 10 and remember some top players might not be listed. For example, Derek Willis of Bullitt East only played one game and was 3 of 15 shooting from the field in the game.

Here’s the top players:

1. Nathan Dieudonne, Trinity: The Boston University signee led the tournament in points (70) and rebounds (33) and won MVP honors. He also likely wrapped up what looked to be – before the Sweet 16 – a very tight Mr. Basketball race with the big-time performance on the state’s biggest stage.

2. Tamron Manning, Scott County: The Marshall signee is – in my opinion – the only other of the five Mr. Basketball finalists with a shot to win the award after the tournament. He had 56 points and eight steals, including 28 points in the title game loss.

3. Charles Foster, Trinity: The Morehead State University is perhaps the state’s best on-ball defender and was solid in the Sweet 16. Foster was 10 of 19 from three-point range in four games and finished with 59 points, 24 rebounds and nine assists.

4. Isaiah Ivey, Scott County: The Gardner-Webb signee came up big-time in several games when Manning was in foul trouble. He can score, rebound and defend. He’s a talented kid with a bright future.

5. David Kapinga, Southwestern: The sophomore transfer from Canada ran the show for the Warriors. He can score, pass and defend and has excellent speed. He’s a talented kid and we’ll hear a lot more from him in the coming years.

6. D.J. Townsend, Rowan County: He carried the Vikings with Evansville signee Adam Wing struggling with his shot. Townsend runs the point but gets to the rim, can hit from outside and is really active. He’s an unsigned senior.

7. Adam Fatkin, Clark County: Perhaps the best player not known as well statewide. Fatkin averaged 18 points in two games for the Cardinals.

8. Jordan Majors, Hopkinsville: Of all the teams that lost in the first round, Majors was the one that did a lot for his team and worked his tail off. The Tigers were young and disappointed in their effort overall, but this junior showed out.

9. Troy Saxton, Trinity: The Huntsville-Alabama signee had seven three-point field goals and 13 assists for the Shamrocks. When they needed a big play, Saxton was there.

10. Zach Davis, Knott County Central: The Patriots have a lot of young talent that played well but the senior is the rock of the team for Knott. He did a little bit of everything and carried them in the first half of the first-round win.

Again, a lot of guys that could have made the list.

Also impressive at times were Trinity’s James Quick and Darryl Hicks; Clark County’s Bopper Stenzel; Bullitt East’s Derek Willis and Rusty Troutman; Southwestern’s Justin Edwards; Rowan County’s Jason Egan; Johnson Central’s Shane Hall; John Hardin’s Brandon Price and Scott County’s Trent Gilbert.

Top 10 players at Sweet 16 | Jody Demling – Recruiting

I'd have had Dieudonne at 1, Foster at 2 and Saxton at 3. For real. I left the Sweet 16 very impressed and with a new appreciation of Foster and Saxton. Those two were just as important for Trinity as Dieudonne was.

Manning had one good game. The final game when they lost by 18. That was the Tamron Manning I expected to see the whole tourney. Ivey had a better Sweet 16 than Manning.

Kapinga is in the right spot. He made a ton of fans this past week.

Zack Davis should be higher also. I still feel bad for that kid.

I don't even remember the kid from Hoptown.

Townsend and Fatkin are in the right spots also.

I'd have had Dieudonne at 1, Foster at 2 and Saxton at 3. For real. I left the Sweet 16 very impressed and with a new appreciation of Foster and Saxton. Those two were just as important for Trinity as Dieudonne was.

Manning had one good game. The final game when they lost by 18. That was the Tamron Manning I expected to see the whole tourney. Ivey had a better Sweet 16 than Manning.

So proud of Adam Fatkin. Not even rated as one of the top 10 players in the 10th region this year pre-season.

Is that the kid from KCC with the degenerate knees that hasnt practiced in two years, only plays that games? Heard people talking????????????????????

Is that the kid from KCC with the degenerate knees that hasnt practiced in two years, only plays that games? Heard people talking????????????????????

Something like that. There was a story on him in the Herald Leader last week. He has had four surgeries I believe. He has poor conditioning because he simply can't practice as much as everyone else because of the pain in his knees. If you watched him play you could tell he was gassed quickly. Knowing all of this is why I was so impressed with his rebounds of his missed free throws. Even if it was a lane violation he still managed to get up higher and secure the rebound both times. Amazing display of determination.

I've told people all year that Fatkin was underrated. Do you know if he is planning to play in college?

Yes, In the next few weeks, he will be making visits and then make his decision. I will post where he is going once he and his family has decided. He is a great kid on and off the court and in the classroom.

I wished Knott Central's Camron Justice had played better in the tournament. The fans didn't really see what he is actually capable of doing. Foul trouble kept him out of the first game for almost one half, and he just didn't get it going in the second game loss to Oldham County. Maybe due to his youth his nerves got the best of him, but I feel he is one of the best guards in the state.